E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

wheel lock nuts

Old 07-07-2019, 11:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
w213 e220d
wheel lock nuts

does anyone know of an attractive (looks wise) option for wheel lock nuts available on the web? most of the stuff i find is cheaper chinese made rubbish..garishly fake anodised, or outright cheap and nasty. looking for something that wont stand out like dogs clangers, but wont break after being undone a few times..

cheers lads.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:34 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe C238
Is there a reason you would not consider original MB parts from your dealer? Not sure you will find anything that you can really trust from the internet.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53
Originally Posted by meeso
does anyone know of an attractive (looks wise) option for wheel lock nuts available on the web? most of the stuff i find is cheaper chinese made rubbish..garishly fake anodised, or outright cheap and nasty. looking for something that wont stand out like dogs clangers, but wont break after being undone a few times..

cheers lads.
What color are you looking for chrome or black?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,102 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by MikeO3
Is there a reason you would not consider original MB parts from your dealer? Not sure you will find anything that you can really trust from the internet.
^^^^^ For a critical item like wheel bolts, I would NOT consider other than MB. And I am not a MB parts purist.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:50 PM

2024 AMG GLE 53
Why do members here say non OEM lug nuts are bad?
Old 07-08-2019, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by suby01
Why do members here say non OEM lug nuts are bad?
First, these are lug BOLTS, not lug nuts. I wouldn't trust a chinese cast bolt (or any internet bolt of unknown origin) for all the tea in China.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-08-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:18 AM

2024 AMG GLE 53
Originally Posted by DFWdude
First, these are lug BOLTS, not lug nuts. I wouldn't trust a chinese cast bolt (or any internet bolt of unknown origin) for all the tea in China.
Okay yes lug bolts. I will use the correct name from now on. I think OP was clearly not interested in a Chinese market .99 cent shipped lug bolts, hence the post about lug bolts. There are many very reputable lug bolt manufacturers, that may meet or even exceed MB OEM specifications for lug bolt options. Believe it or not there are lug bolts that are even stronger and lighter than the OEM MB lug bolts. Saying that someone should only put OEM lug bolts on their MB is incorrect, it may be personal preference for sure, but not a requirement by any means especially when someone is genuinely interested in a non OEM lug bolt option. Lug bolts.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Usually they put one locking lug bolt on each wheel and they are undistinguishable from the regular bolts standing a few feet away from the car. Just buy a set from your dealer and no one will see the difference.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by suby01
Okay yes lug bolts. I will use the correct name from now on. I think OP was clearly not interested in a Chinese market .99 cent shipped lug bolts, hence the post about lug bolts. There are many very reputable lug bolt manufacturers, that may meet or even exceed MB OEM specifications for lug bolt options. Believe it or not there are lug bolts that are even stronger and lighter than the OEM MB lug bolts. Saying that someone should only put OEM lug bolts on their MB is incorrect, it may be personal preference for sure, but not a requirement by any means especially when someone is genuinely interested in a non OEM lug bolt option. Lug bolts.
In the 15 months since I bought my W212, I've bought at least a dozen aftermarket accessories, some very visible, but none of them OEM MB.

I really love the wheels that came on my car, so I'm not remotely distracted by the lug bolts that came with them... They are so recessed in their sockets they are barely visible. In fact, they are a challenge to scrub them clean while washing the car, even with my specialized recess brush. I wouldn't change them to some other brand, because they are so unnoticable. Only I would know if I changed them. Consequently, lug bolt choices mean absolutely nothing to me. Were I to change wheels at all, I would reuse the OEM lugs without thinking about it, and can't really imagine someone shopping for wheel bolts (at all), either.

I suppose if one can't do without Gucci wheels on their car, they probably need the Gucci lug bolts that go with them, too.

As a shade tree metal machinist, I deal with various metal types, My experience with Chinese metals has not been good, particularly with Chinese BOLTs of any claimed hardness. I would not have a leg to stand on in court if my cheap lug bolts sheared on the highway, throwing my wheel and car across the median into the path of other vehicles.

So within the context of the OP referencing garish chinese "dog clangers" -- that no one will likely see in any event -- my opinion was to stick with the (invisible) lug bolts that come with the car. That's all.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-09-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:33 PM

w213 e220d

So within the context of the OP referencing garish chinese "dog clangers" -- that no one will likely see in any event -- my opinion was to stick with the (invisible) lug bolts that come with the car. That's all.
Firstly, to all who responded, thanks, I don't know how I missed the replies.. been busy I guess.

Secondly. What I want, is to LOCK the wheels. I live in an area where a nice set of AMG 20" wheels are a very attractive target. I don't want them stolen.

I haven't looked at OEM because lets face it, $250 AUD or so, for 4 bolts, is simply obscene. There are many manufacturers out there who make wheel "lug bolts) as has been corrected, and of those, I was wondering if any are better than the others? all seem to be great value compared with OEM. The ones ive looked at so far, made in UK, or GER. Most ebay available are as mentioned , sourced from china or other untrustworthy avenues.

not looking to start a argument, and I also am respectful that not everyone has any mechanical nous, I was part of a landrover forum where most of the great unwashed were of the opinion if it wasn't OEM, it was rubbish. Good luck to those types and their wallets. didn't have the heart to remind them a lot of their parts are ford, and made in SAF or Vietnam or other places.. besides, the LR 3.0 Diesel engine has a massive design flaw and breaks crankshafts for seemingly no reason. they simply accept it as normal

For the record, I have pitcrewed for a title winning rally team and have built many engines amongst my automotive endeavours. I wont assume anything, so was asking the MB faithful for the voice of experience. .nothing more. Sorry if I upset anyone.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Here you go:

https://autotecknic.com/collections/...tud-conversion
Old 07-17-2019, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Firstly, to all who responded, thanks, I don't know how I missed the replies.. been busy I guess.

Secondly. What I want, is to LOCK the wheels. I live in an area where a nice set of AMG 20" wheels are a very attractive target. I don't want them stolen.

I haven't looked at OEM because lets face it, $250 AUD or so, for 4 bolts, is simply obscene. There are many manufacturers out there who make wheel "lug bolts) as has been corrected, and of those, I was wondering if any are better than the others? all seem to be great value compared with OEM. The ones ive looked at so far, made in UK, or GER. Most ebay available are as mentioned , sourced from china or other untrustworthy avenues.

not looking to start a argument, and I also am respectful that not everyone has any mechanical nous,
Are you telling us that your W213 does not already have a keyed locking bolt on every wheel, OEM from the factory? The DATA card for my 2016 W212 doesn't even list the keyed locking bolt option, although my car has a keyed locking bolt on every wheel. My 2001 MB -- bought as new -- came with 5 conventional lug bolts for each wheel, plus a bag of 4 locking bolts and key in the tool tray in the trunk, giving me the option to use them or not. So my assumption is that all W213 come OEM with locking wheels, for many many years.. If I were you, I would rifle through your trunk for any forgotten treasure in there.

If you bought your W213 used and the previous owner installed replacement wheels and lug bolts, or didn't pass along the locking lug bolts, then this is another kettle of fish. You can buy aftermarket locking bolts from the many sources as already discussed. The question for me is the number of key combinations from each source.

Presumably, Mercedes-Benz has several dozen key combinations, partly accounting for the ghastly cost. While the lesser expensive alternatives may offer only a dozen different key combinations. Or they may offer only 5 combinations... or only one. Not very secure I suspect. Which would prompt me to do some research for each alternative source.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-17-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
So my assumption is that all W212 come OEM with locking wheels, for many many years.. If I were you, I would rifle through your trunk for any forgotten treasure in there.
Absolutely not. It is a $150 option. If specified in the build sheet, it is one of the "port installed" options (rear spoiler is an other example).

Also, Mercedes does not have many dozens of different lock combinations, as a matter of fact only a few (personally got same "lock" combination on two different vehicles). Dealers have "master keys" for those occasions when an owner looses a key. Mercedes dealers often report wheels stolen from brand new cars on their lots equipped with wheel locks. Nothing is secured, it just gives an owner a piece of mind of hoping that a perk would move to a "next" Mb not equipped with wheel locks.

$150, when installed on the vehicle, is a ridiculous price. MSRP at their parts department is just above $100. Same wheel locks, but used, can be purchased on eBay for as little $30.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Absolutely not. It is a $150 option. If specified in the build sheet, it is one of the "port installed" options (rear spoiler is an other example).

Also, Mercedes does not have many dozens of different lock combinations, as a matter of fact only a few (personally got same "lock" combination on two different vehicles). Dealers have "master keys" for those occasions when an owner looses a key. Mercedes dealers often report wheels stolen from brand new cars on their lots equipped with wheel locks. Nothing is secured, it just gives an owner a piece of mind of hoping that a perk would move to a "next" Mb not equipped with wheel locks.

$150, when installed on the vehicle, is a ridiculous price. MSRP at their parts department is just above $100. Same wheel locks, but used, can be purchased on eBay for as little $30.
Thanks for the clarification. That said, the build sheet for my 2016 W212 does not specify the locking bolts as an "option." I don't have the window sticker to clairfy whether the locking bolts are a "port installed option."

I do know that I paid nothing extra for locking lug bolts on my "lowly" 2001 C-Class, bought as new, 18 years ago. And that car has standard steel wheels. Nothing special at all to need lock bolts. And yet, they are there.

I just went out to my 2016 W212 to check. And just like my 2001, there is a small box in the tool tray holding the lock key, and 4 additional lug bolts... in this case the locks are on the wheels, and the standard bolts replaced are stored in the box, as might be expected.

With all the changes to run-flats, and donut spare tires, etc. maybe the tool tray in the W213 is not stocked the same as the W212 model. Regardless...

OP should run -- not walk -- to his trunk and check to see if the bolts he seeks are actually there, making his quest moot. Given the success of the many "Road Warrior" movies filmed in Australia, one might think that locking lug bolts are equally popular as a common MB accessory in Australia.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-17-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
Just a point of clarification. OP drives a W213, not a W212. The W213 has no spare tire (wish it did!) and I'm curious if the bolts would be in the tiny storage area in the trunk.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by teksurv
Just a point of clarification. OP drives a W213, not a W212. The W213 has no spare tire (wish it did!) and I'm curious if the bolts would be in the tiny storage area in the trunk.
Then please, go look. It might help solve this dilemma.

If your W213 visibly has locking lug bolts in place, the key has to be stored somewhere. Who knows what else is stored with it...

Just think about how these cars are built on the assembly line. I'd wager that all wheels are installed with conventional lug bolts, for simplicity and speed (the way my 2001 was built). Any locking bolt kit (where ordered or not) is probably placed in the trunk as an accessory, to be installed at the port of entry, at the dealer, or by the first owner, if desired.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-17-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
Confirmed. Locking lugs were installed when purchased, not in my trunk, but in the glove box is a plastic box with the original lugs and key.
The following users liked this post:
DFWdude (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by teksurv
Confirmed. Locking lugs were installed when purchased, not in my trunk, but in the glove box is a plastic box with the original lugs and key.
Tadaa! Thanks. This means that meeso should go on a treasure hunt within his car to see if the locking lug bolts materialize.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
05 W211 E500, 03 C215 CL55 AMG
Locking lug bolts/nuts are a waste of time IMO.

It takes 2 seconds to remove a keyed bolt/nut without the key.

If someone really wants your wheels they will only be a mild deterrent.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That said, the build sheet for my 2016 W212 does not specify the locking bolts as an "option." I don't have the window sticker to clairfy whether the locking bolts are a "port installed option."

I do know that I paid nothing extra
If you can not locate your window sticker, contact your dealer - they have a 1 minute way to find out and let you know every option on your car. And if wheel locks are listed - they must be since they're on your car, then yes you did pay for them one way or the other. I do not remember how much the locks for W212 (they're 28mm vs. 45mm for W213) were on the sticker, but for W213 it is $150. It is NOT free. Not in the US. And yes, they can easily be removed by even "semi professionals" as stated above. However I do use them on all my cars, mostly for my perceived piece of mind, not for wheels staying on the car - for that where one parks is all that matters.

Last edited by threeMBs; 07-17-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Agent-A01
Locking lug bolts/nuts are a waste of time IMO.

It takes 2 seconds to remove a keyed bolt/nut without the key.

If someone really wants your wheels they will only be a mild deterrent.
Yes this is absolutely true. I do not know how exactly they remove MB OEM locks, but it seems that "standard" "socket method" that is used, for example, to remove Mcgard (or the like) locks may not be applicable to MB OEM locks because of their unique diameter which leaves (almost) no room for a socket to be hammered on it. Having said that, as per several MB dealers I know, they are removed just as easily.

Last edited by threeMBs; 07-17-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:13 AM

w213 e220d
Are you telling us that your W213 does not already have a keyed locking bolt on every wheel, OEM from the factory?

This !.

BTW.brand new car from dealer, no locking bolts, all are standard type hex bolts . fit 17mm impact socket

Last edited by meeso; 07-18-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Meeso, I know how the car is delivered. I've already stated that the wheels are mounted at the factory without locking bolts in place. Cars delivered to customers with locking bolts in place had them swapped out somewhere during the shipping/delivery/prep process chain.

Further, I've done all I can to show you the box of locking bolts and key. If your car includes them in Australia, the box will be found in the glovebox or trunk, or somewhere else in the interior.

Unless you've already done so (you don't say), your next steps are to: 1) look for them in your car (post #18), and if not found, 2) call the dealer to ask if your car was supposed to have them provided. Show them the picture I provided if necessary. Your dealer may have skipped their installation in dealer prep by mistake.

If the dealer says they are not included with any of the cars they sell, and that you have to pay the additional $250 AUD or so to get them, then you're back to square one.

I AM trying to help here with simple precautionary steps to save you the expense and stress...

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-18-2019 at 08:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
meeso (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:33 AM

w213 e220d

I AM trying to help here...
My friend, You just did. Ill be calling the dealer tomorrow.. Weve looked through the car, Nothing present. due to varyine state regulations, we had to meet the dealer on the border of our state (NSW) he was in VIC. he had to drive up to register the car. we didnt buy locally, had to drive 450klms to get a better deal.. long story. but thanks, ill be checking tomorrow..
Old 07-18-2019, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
My friend, You just did. Ill be calling the dealer tomorrow.. Weve looked through the car, Nothing present. due to varyine state regulations, we had to meet the dealer on the border of our state (NSW) he was in VIC. he had to drive up to register the car. we didnt buy locally, had to drive 450klms to get a better deal.. long story. but thanks, ill be checking tomorrow..
Sounds to me like a complicated delivery process for you and the dealer, in which the box of locking bolts might have been left out by accident. Hopefully that is the case. Good luck chatting with the dealer.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: wheel lock nuts