Sponsored by:

Blown Turbo (Soft Post)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
Blown Turbo (Soft Post)

So unfortunately for me my car has a blown passenger side turbo, I'm going to tell the story to maybe try to figure out why this happened. 2016 C63s Sedan.. So I love my car very much and its summer time and MB Says parts are 4 weeks away.
anyways I recently got brand new toyo r888r and a tune from a very reputable source, so I was really pumped to see how this bad boy pulled. I posted a draggy pic on here once before of my car doing a quarter mile at I believe 11.89 @ 120mph that was bone stock with completely bald tires at a pretty crappy D.A. So needless to say I was pumped on he gains this tune and tire combo would give me, anyways popped in the tune and the car didn't feel any better than stock. Contacted the tuner they re did it popped it in and wow definitely felt a good pull in the midrange so I pulled out the Draggy and went to my spot. the same place in Mexico where I do all my tests. Couldn't break into 11s if I tried with my trap speed Super low like 110mph to 112mph Best. Weird Because it pulls so hard in the midrange. On my home from my spot doing some hwy pulls I noticed my boost gauge (why cant it be in PSI) was hitting about 80%. Seems strange I remember being able to max it out in each gear, it would not hit 100% if I tried. Made an appointment with MB Returned car to stock as I truly do not believe the tune did this at all. on my way the dealership the car lost all boost completely restarted car got limited boost and limped to dealer. they checked it out and diagnosed it as a BOOST PRESSURE TRANSDUCER and the car was only running on about 86% of the boost that it was supposed to have. So I was pretty happy the car was fixed and I was excited to reinstall my tune and actually feel the real gains. on my home I noticed the same thing not hitting full boost (CAR IS RESET TO STOCK AT THIS TIME) about 2 min later Car Loses All Boost again. Paranoid I called the dealer let them know and got road side to tow it back. Well they called today and informed me a turbo had blown and they have never seen that before on these cars. parts are a month away and they will be investigating my ECU To see if something is up. ONE LAST THING TO NOTE, I ALWAYS PROPERLY WARM UP MY CAR AND WATCH THE TEMPS ONLY DOING PULLS AT OPERATING TEMP.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:31 PM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Interested for the outcome of this.

I have also not seen or read of turbos failing on these engines.

If this was a Flash tune then you might be in for a fight with them once they investigate the ECU.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:33 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
2018 C63 Sedan
The most important thing when adding a new tune is to look at logs to ensure its performing safely and as intended. Get any logs of it?
Old 07-13-2019, 06:13 PM

2016 AMG C63s
no data logs, all I have is my Draggy and when I lost boost I plugged in my OBD2 scanner to check for faults and nothing would come up, I honestly expected it to just be the exhaust valve problem where the car looses boost or a vacuum hose leaking somewhere. I baby my car and only open it up in the right environment. I truly believe that the tune did not do this ( Which is why I wont name the tuner) and the car must have had this problem right before I tuned it. Just really crappy timing. the only thing the dealership has told me this far is that the turbo got so hot it completely melted the waste gate, which is strange because the day before the shop ensured me my turbo and waste gates were in good shape. Lets say mb doesn't pin this on me what's the logic behind only replacing one turbo?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by jinnsound2
they will be investigating my ECU To see if something is up.
GL man but it doesn’t look good for you. They’ll be able
see the evidences with ECU mods.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Looks like turbo upgrade time
Old 07-14-2019, 02:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 AMG C63, 2001 C5 Corvette
Good Luck. Sounds a little coincidental, but who knows. You’ll soon find out. The Tune scared me with Dealer checking into it. Who told you they were going to investigate your ECU? Service Advisor?

I wonder what they do to check it and HOW they j is you changed the Tune? I imagine if there is a stock parameter set and you exceed that in several areas that creates a red flag. I wish I knew HOW Easy it is for a dealer to Diagnose Know Car was Tuned? Is it like 100% they can easily tell, or is it hard to figure out?

I also just got a Flash Tune 2 weeks ago. No issues but this makes me nervous. Good Luck!
Old 07-14-2019, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by TexasBenzBandit
I imagine if there is a stock parameter set and you exceed that in several areas that creates a red flag. !
Exactly like boost ... etc and I’m sure it stored so even flash back to stock still do you no good.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:44 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
Idk how smart your dealer is because wastegates are made of metal so they cannot melt. When turbos fail the center section (bearings) will usually begin to fail creating wear on the shaft and play in the turbine/compressor wheels which will eventually touchdown into the compressor housing causing the blades to fragment.

I would just upgrade turbos and be done with it because more than likely the dealer will find out you’re tuned and not cover under warranty leaving you with a bill larger than if you just swapped turbos at an Indy shop.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:10 PM

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT
Idk how smart your dealer is because wastegates are made of metal so they cannot melt. When turbos fail the center section (bearings) will usually begin to fail creating wear on the shaft and play in the turbine/compressor wheels which will eventually touchdown into the compressor housing causing the blades to fragment.

I would just upgrade turbos and be done with it because more than likely the dealer will find out you’re tuned and not cover under warranty leaving you with a bill larger than if you just swapped turbos at an Indy shop.
lol yes I'm aware of that, I don't think my service advisor is too knowledgeable or he's just having a tough time relaying the message from the tech. I was planning on doing a pure stage 1 upgrade but depending on what they find I might just get the yabeela's. I could probably even get EFR Turbos and twin scroll manifolds for cheaper than the dealer will charge me. At this point until I speak to someone with more knowledge I don't even know exactly what's wrong with my turbo. What I do know is when my car was stock the very first problem I had with the car was that it would overboost throwing a code and D rating performance and my dealer does have records of this and I wonder if these problems are related.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:18 PM

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by TexasBenzBandit
Good Luck. Sounds a little coincidental, but who knows. You’ll soon find out. The Tune scared me with Dealer checking into it. Who told you they were going to investigate your ECU? Service Advisor?

I wonder what they do to check it and HOW they j is you changed the Tune? I imagine if there is a stock parameter set and you exceed that in several areas that creates a red flag. I wish I knew HOW Easy it is for a dealer to Diagnose Know Car was Tuned? Is it like 100% they can easily tell, or is it hard to figure out?

I also just got a Flash Tune 2 weeks ago. No issues but this makes me nervous. Good Luck!
the service advisor, told me they were going to check and see if there were any mods done to the car to cause this, because they haven't seen anything like it before. I really don't know how far they will dig. All I keep thinking about is if one of the techs forgot a rag in there put the car together and sent me on my way. Because as I said before my car was in the shop all day they diagnosed / fixed my car and on my way home it broke down again. one thing to note there was no smoke of any kind I really just hope my motor is okay at this point
Old 07-15-2019, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 c300 4matic , 2005 c230 kompressor (totaled) , 97' honda civic
the service advisor, told me they were going to check and see if there were any mods done to the car to cause this, because they haven't seen anything like it before. I really don't know how far they will dig. All I keep thinking about is if one of the techs forgot a rag in there put the car together and sent me on my way. Because as I said before my car was in the shop all day they diagnosed / fixed my car and on my way home it broke down again. one thing to note there was no smoke of any kind I really just hope my motor is okay at this point
Good luck. Ecu has a flash counter. In order to void warranty they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt get ready to put on some boxing gloves I feel the fight has only just begun.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
If your tuner opened your ECU, they do not even send your log file to AMG, they flag the car straight away without questions, because the beads of the ECU never seal the same. Atleast my dealership did. If you flashed through the OBD, AMG can still find it out quick, just depends how interested they are. At this point prayers are your only option.

If you have a problem that from the dealership's point of view can be because of a tune, do not go to the dealership. It does not matter what you think caused the failure. As long as the dealership can link it to a tune, it is a recipe for disaster for your warranty. For small items, like sensors and stuff, they would never look into your ECU. But blow a turbo or tranny or even an engine, the dealership most of the time would do all they can to get out of it, in this case it is flagging your car.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
If I were you, I would ask for the car back before they can start their magical process to flag your car, and just repair it yourself using a INDY shop
Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 334 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Wait to see how it plays out OP, depending on the dealer and total cost of the job they would have to get MB of America involved to approve the warranty on the repairs. Depending on the total cost, I'm not sure what the exact number is they do send out someone to investigate further. I'd ask the dealer to keep you updated every day on where they are in the process, you might get lucky and they will just approve the new turbos.

This looks like it was caused by a crappy tune, might be a good idea to name the tuner although I think I know who it is already.

GL OP.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by slowc
Good luck. Ecu has a flash counter. In order to void warranty they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt get ready to put on some boxing gloves I feel the fight has only just begun.
There is nothing less true than what you wrote.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:31 PM

2016 AMG C63s
Update Mercedes called and said the warranty work is approved. there was definitely a miscommunication but the dealer said they ordered a ton of parts but the turbos themselves are okay and something is wrong with the charge air system ( I know the turbo is part of the charge air system) So Apparently its fully covered. parts are now 2 weeks away. FYI I will be removing that tune permanently and switching tuners, as the three variations of the tune ive tried felt better than stock but never actually performed better than stock.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 BMW M5
Update Mercedes called and said the warranty work is approved. there was definitely a miscommunication but the dealer said they ordered a ton of parts but the turbos themselves are okay and something is wrong with the charge air system ( I know the turbo is part of the charge air system) So Apparently its fully covered. parts are now 2 weeks away. FYI I will be removing that tune permanently and switching tuners, as the three variations of the tune ive tried felt better than stock but never actually performed better than stock.
Awesome! Glad to hear they are covering everything and it will be fixed soon.

Kinda off topic. But has anyone had something go seriously wrong from a tune? I always read about people worrying and discussing possible issues, but never (at least in the C63 section) have I actually seen any issues. What's likely to break if anything? Transmission? Turbo (not that big of a deal)? Or just total engine detonation?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by gpdriver177
Awesome! Glad to hear they are covering everything and it will be fixed soon.

Kinda off topic. But has anyone had something go seriously wrong from a tune? I always read about people worrying and discussing possible issues, but never (at least in the C63 section) have I actually seen any issues. What's likely to break if anything? Transmission? Turbo (not that big of a deal)? Or just total engine detonation?
Most of the tunes on our cars are limited by the stock turbos, and it seems like the rest of the powertrain is stout enough to reliably handle well more than what can be achieved with the stock turbos. As long as the tune is reputable, you really shouldn't have any issues beyond any issues you'd have if you were stock anyway (sensors, little things, etc).
Old 07-16-2019, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 306 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Did you ever disclose the tuner ?? I think it would help other members to be educated .
Old 07-16-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by Mojo31
There is nothing less true than what you wrote.
I mean, he's *technically* correct: Magnusen-Moss is supposed to put the burden of proof on the dealer to show that the modification caused the failure. The issue, of course, is that a single consumer will have an uphill battle fighting an enormous corporate entity if that corporation simply says "Yeah, no, better luck next time".

EDIT: Just noticed OP says he's in Mexico, so all bets are off as far as MM Act.

Last edited by nobbyv; 07-16-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 334 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Glad to hear it worked out for you.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 AM

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by nobbyv
I mean, he's *technically* correct: Magnusen-Moss is supposed to put the burden of proof on the dealer to show that the modification caused the failure. The issue, of course, is that a single consumer will have an uphill battle fighting an enormous corporate entity if that corporation simply says "Yeah, no, better luck next time".

EDIT: Just noticed OP says he's in Mexico, so all bets are off as far as MM Act.
It is my understanding that the MMA puts the burden of proof on the manufacturer to prove misuse in the case of a full warranty. Cars don't come with full warranties, but come with limited warranties, so the burden of proof is different. In that case, the consumer must prove: (i) a warranty was made, (ii) the warranty was breached, (iii) a loss was sustained, and (iv) the loss was caused by the breach of the warranty. The burden in that situation is on the consumer and the burden is preponderance of the evidence. If the manufacturer relies on a provision of the limited warranty to limit or preclude warranty coverage, then it must show by a preponderance of the evidence the facts demonstrating that the warranty no longer applies, that is, that the product was changed such that it no longer worked as designed or marketed.

In situations where misuse is a defense, the burden is on the manufacturer to prove the defense, again by a preponderance of the evidence. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" is not a burden of proof typically seen in civil cases and certainly not in warranty cases.

With all of that, it's an uphill battle, one in which the legal fees will quickly exceed the amount involved. But, if there was a consumer made modification, such as a tune, and the failure occurs in the path of the modification, the consumer will rarely, if ever, come out ahead.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:27 PM

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by nobbyv

Lol it was a Joke I'm in Canada Mexico Of The North
Old 07-16-2019, 01:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
Originally Posted by Mojo31
It is my understanding that the MMA puts the burden of proof on the manufacturer to prove misuse in the case of a full warranty. Cars don't come with full warranties, but come with limited warranties, so the burden of proof is different. In that case, the consumer must prove: (i) a warranty was made, (ii) the warranty was breached, (iii) a loss was sustained, and (iv) the loss was caused by the breach of the warranty. The burden in that situation is on the consumer and the burden is preponderance of the evidence. If the manufacturer relies on a provision of the limited warranty to limit or preclude warranty coverage, then it must show by a preponderance of the evidence the facts demonstrating that the warranty no longer applies, that is, that the product was changed such that it no longer worked as designed or marketed.

In situations where misuse is a defense, the burden is on the manufacturer to prove the defense, again by a preponderance of the evidence. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" is not a burden of proof typically seen in civil cases and certainly not in warranty cases.

With all of that, it's an uphill battle, one in which the legal fees will quickly exceed the amount involved. But, if there was a consumer made modification, such as a tune, and the failure occurs in the path of the modification, the consumer will rarely, if ever, come out ahead.
This is true. MMA should protect us in theory, but the advantage is with the manufacturer/dealer unless we want to go to court. Some dealers/advisors are ambivalent to tunes and mods, some have a vendetta against them and will try to find tunes. When I had a BMW 335i, the fuel pumps, wastegates, and turbos would go on stock vehicles. I had mine for 90k miles over 8 years, and had 1 wastegate replaced under standard warranty, another wastegate replaced under extended warranty, and both turbos later replaced by a goodwill act by BMW. Because this was BMW's first return to turbos and they were having failures, they were hellbent on looking for tunes and even reduced their support of DInan. The extended warranty company and BMW both ran the ECU looking for a tune and did not find one (I ran a Cobb tune and pulled it before bringing it to the dealer each time). I was lucky, but other 335i owners used JB4 or other piggybacks and were denied. Nobody AFAIK went to court.

It looks something was up with the OPs turbos even before the tune and that might have reduced MBUSA from hunting too hard. I probably would have gone the same route - if something is off with the performance, get it evaluated and on record while under warranty, then push the car before turning (basically make it break if it was going to break anyway).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blown Turbo (Soft Post)