W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any other car you wish you had instead?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Is there any other car you wish you had instead?

Obviously we all want P1s and Sennas and 488s and Aventadors and Huracans, but in terms of the $80k (you could probably pick up a used W213 E63s for $80k-ish) - $140k price range, is there anything else you want instead of the E63S? New or used. I think even if you extend the budget to $160k-$180k, you only really add in some Aston Martins/low end McLarens/maybe a budget R8?

I personally think I'm going to get a stickshift M3 next (F80, before they probably kill off the stickshift with the new AWD G80) and then try to get it to like 600-700whp without having to build the block. It would give up some luxury compared to the E63s for sure, but the E63s is getting kind of boring for me.

Anybody else?

Last edited by MuffinFlavored; 07-16-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I’m with you. Something with a manual transmission. F80 M3, Miata, Civic Type R,
the new G80 M3 is rumoured to have a stick shift in base non-competition trim.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 664 Likes on 512 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
when I was buying at the time, Porsche Panny wagon was my #1 on the list but ended up with the E63 wagon in the end (solely because of the bang for the $, I suppose).

In the future, looking at the Audi e-tron GT wagon or Porsche Taycan wagon or Audi RS6 Avant .. and nothing else out there for the moment would interest me besides those mentioned.
The following users liked this post:
mmmamg (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nex1
I’m with you. Something with a manual transmission. F80 M3, Miata, Civic Type R,
the new G80 M3 is rumoured to have a stick shift in base non-competition trim.
are you also bored of your e63s amg a bit?
Old 07-16-2019, 12:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
e63s
I wish I could buy a $30k car and stop worrying about how's cool my car and just drive it everywhere
Old 07-16-2019, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mandarin
I wish I could buy a $30k car and stop worrying about how's cool my car and just drive it everywhere
lol yeah i raised my eyebrow a bit when he said honda civic/miata
Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it comes down to... what used car could you buy and then put work into that would be "fun to drive" for $30k?

$5k piece of **** nissan 240sx with big turbo? probably not being cross shopped with e63s amg!! :P
Old 07-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts
E63S Wagon
If I could, I would have an Alpina B5 touring on order rather than the AMG wagon I got coming. But I’ll be damned if I am not excited about what is heading my way.

If you’ve got $30k and are looking for driving experience, and not just mashing the loud pedal around, then grab a high mileage 997.1 C2S. Not that I am biased or anything .
Old 07-16-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
are you also bored of your e63s amg a bit?
Yes I am!
I need a manual back in my life.
This car has pure speed. But lacking driving engagement. The rumoured G80 manual M3 would be a good start. But right now I’d take a type r or a miata!
The following users liked this post:
b0rderman (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
e63s
it comes down to... what used car could you buy and then put work into that would be "fun to drive" for $30k?

$5k piece of **** nissan 240sx with big turbo? probably not being cross shopped with e63s amg!! :P
I would buy rav4 and stop worrying about door dings, car wash every 3 days, drifting, sliding, 1/4, launch start, rolls and etc... But this is not going to happen since I'm addicted to cool cars

I don't like to build up one car for years, I would buy a car that can drive right away Also, not old JDM cars I grew up in a place where we had JDM cars (I had 4 of them) and I full of them enough not to wish to buy another one here in states.

Last edited by Mandarin; 07-16-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
If I had known how little use the backseat would get in the Cab and that we would end up trading the jeep on a SUV, There would be a 2009+ Aston Martin Vantage S Cab 6spd in the garage... just can't get past the sound, feel, comfort of that thing... oh well
Old 07-16-2019, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
How about Subaru WRX STI?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would buy rav4 and stop worrying about door dings, car wash every 3 days, drifting, sliding, 1/4, launch start, rolls and etc... But this is not going to happen since I'm addicted to cool cars

I don't like to build up one car for years, I would buy a car that can drive right away Also, not old JDM cars I grew up in a place where we had JDM cars (I had 4 of them) and I full of them enough not to wish to buy another one here in states.
so time for a mustang gt350r or a camaro zl1 1le or a z06?
Old 07-16-2019, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
How about Subaru WRX STI?
HARD PASS!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:47 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Nex1
I need a manual back in my life.
That is why I still have my manual R8 for almost 10 years now. Even though the newer auto sports cars may be quicker, they are just not as engaging!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CALBenzo
That is why I still have my manual R8 for almost 10 years now. Even though the newer auto sports cars may be quicker, they are just not as engaging!
would you do manual m5 if it was an option?

manual e63 just doesn’t even make any sense due to characteristic of vehicle
Old 07-16-2019, 09:17 PM

would you do manual m5 if it was an option?

manual e63 just doesn’t even make any sense due to characteristic of vehicle
I Definitely would!! Manual, AWD, 600HP stock. My perfect car.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:25 AM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
HARD PASS!
Ditto. The HARDEST!!

Good question. Having a 1 year old and dogs, I really can’t think of anything as cool as my wagon for this use. Maybe an Urus, but that’s twice the price, and is gonna be spendy to insure and run. Plus I have a fast SUV already, a GLE63s.

I would consider adding to the stable not replacing the E63. And in that line? I don’t know a 991.2 GT3 stick? Are dealers even willing to talk to non Porsche elites at this point without bending us over and you, performing the ritual...
Old 07-17-2019, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dunga
Ditto. The HARDEST!!

Good question. Having a 1 year old and dogs, I really can’t think of anything as cool as my wagon for this use. Maybe an Urus, but that’s twice the price, and is gonna be spendy to insure and run. Plus I have a fast SUV already, a GLE63s.

I would consider adding to the stable not replacing the E63. And in that line? I don’t know a 991.2 GT3 stick? Are dealers even willing to talk to non Porsche elites at this point without bending us over and you, performing the ritual...
that is a great question and i want to follow it up with one more

i know the gt3s are regarded as some of the most engaging cars to drive

but

wouldn’t it feel super slow compared to the e63 since the torque and horsepower figures are so different?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
that is a great question and i want to follow it up with one more

i know the gt3s are regarded as some of the most engaging cars to drive

but

wouldn’t it feel super slow compared to the e63 since the torque and horsepower figures are so different?
Yes and no! In a straight line the E63 is definitely faster. In the twisty stuff and on a track the weight is undeniable. So from a power to weight point, the GT3 has the E63 beat, 500 hp for 3,150 lbs, a little over 6 lbs per hp. Vs the E63 is around 7.7 lbs per hp. Torque is the other way around given the low output on the GT3.

At any rate, having a manual naturally aspirated sportscar myself, a slow base Corvette, I don’t feel that the E63 can be a replacement for it. It’s a terrific super sedan/wagon, a weapon, it’s just never gonna be as nimble or light, and the engine will always be slightly ever so less responsive, when left in auto mode. I love them both but they serve different purposes.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dunga
Yes and no! In a straight line the E63 is definitely faster. In the twisty stuff and on a track the weight is undeniable. So from a power to weight point, the GT3 has the E63 beat, 500 hp for 3,150 lbs, a little over 6 lbs per hp. Vs the E63 is around 7.7 lbs per hp. Torque is the other way around given the low output on the GT3.

At any rate, having a manual naturally aspirated sportscar myself, a slow base Corvette, I don’t feel that the E63 can be a replacement for it. It’s a terrific super sedan/wagon, a weapon, it’s just never gonna be as nimble or light, and the engine will always be slightly ever so less responsive, when left in auto mode. I love them both but they serve different purposes.
what would you say to somebody who only really ever uses their daily driver to run errands and cruise down the highway?

like, i could go get a gt3, no doubt. but i can only powerslide into my grocery store so hard, you know?
Old 07-17-2019, 01:12 PM

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 4 Runner Pro, supercharged and lifted Lime Rush, 2018 E63s wagon Edition 1
what would you say to somebody who only really ever uses their daily driver to run errands and cruise down the highway?

like, i could go get a gt3, no doubt. but i can only powerslide into my grocery store so hard, you know?
This is a really good thread MuffinFlavored. I'm one of those who uses my wagon for mundane stuff as you have mentioned with the occasional exuberant drive on some local twisties and such. I've found that at high speeds this car is super stable and handles really well for such a weighty machine and I feel that it's perfect for someone who wants SUV room but the performance (almost) of a true sports car. Plus the insurance is a lot cheaper than it would be for a Lambo, etc. In my earlier years (I'm 62) I had multiple cars and a truck with manuals and while they could be fun that certainly wasn't the case in stop and go traffic or in places with a lot of traffic lights. I personally won't own a manual shifting car or truck again but I can understand why someone would want one for weekend fun or for track use but even the exotics are mostly all quick shifting semi-autos these days and for daily driving, rowing through the gears with a third pedal would get old quick (my opinion of course). I've owned my wagon for a little over a year now and I'm still enjoying it so what I'd tell someone in this instance is get something practical and reliable but if you need room and want performance too try an E63s sedan or wagon or even the M5 because the P cars, Lambos, Ferraris, etc. are fun and fast but, except for the P cars, aren't really daily drivers (again my personal opinion).
Old 07-17-2019, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stratman
This is a really good thread MuffinFlavored.
Is this to say that the barrage of other threads I make are junk?!?!?!

I had multiple cars and a truck with manuals and while they could be fun that certainly wasn't the case in stop and go traffic or in places with a lot of traffic lights.
I can't say for certain, but I know a lot of the newer manuals have some "niceties" where you aren't slipping the clutch as much "manually" to try and help stop and go traffic. Other things like "hill stop" as well. I drive an F10 M5 manual for 18 months and while I did not spend a lot of time in traffic, I know everytime I did it wasn't "hellish". But, by all means, I fully understand and agree with what you are saying. I'd be a fool to say that the statistics of sales out there show that an E63S with a manual makes any sense whatsoever. I always like this random blurb I read about Lamborghini killing off manuals. I'm paraphrasing, but it was a bit along the lines of "as technology and cars progress, we need the ECUs to be totally in control of everything: suspension, gear box, etc. for maximum performance". Manuals just don't make sense in that equation.

I can understand why someone would want one for weekend fun or for track use
I guess my question is... what is weekend fun if it isn't twisties and it isn't track use? I'm 95% sure the real answer is "breaking traffic laws on the highway" or "driving a bit too aggressively for local roads".
Old 07-17-2019, 02:45 PM

Is this to say that the barrage of other threads I make are junk?!?!?!
HAHA! No it's not of course. I've read many of your other threads but, unfortunately for me, I usually don't have anything more to add to the discussion.

I can't say for certain, but I know a lot of the newer manuals have some "niceties" where you aren't slipping the clutch as much "manually" to try and help stop and go traffic. Other things like "hill stop" as well. I drive an F10 M5 manual for 18 months and while I did not spend a lot of time in traffic, I know everytime I did it wasn't "hellish". But, by all means, I fully understand and agree with what you are saying. I'd be a fool to say that the statistics of sales out there show that an E63S with a manual makes any sense whatsoever. I always like this random blurb I read about Lamborghini killing off manuals. I'm paraphrasing, but it was a bit along the lines of "as technology and cars progress, we need the ECUs to be totally in control of everything: suspension, gear box, etc. for maximum performance". Manuals just don't make sense in that equation.
Yea I must admit, it's been a long time since I last rowed gears and slipped a clutch pedal and then there was no "hill stop" where I popped the clutch a few times when first learning to drive a stick ('61 VW bug). In fact, no aids save for seat belts. Also, I'm sure that the tech is much better today just like in the auto and semi-auto trans. One of the nicest clutch and gearbox combos I drove was in a '65 corvette that belonged to a friend. Really nice but the drum brakes all around were horrid. My mid '70s Jeep Cherokee with front discs stopped way better! I think that the Nissan GTR is a great example of being super fast but everything is high tech so even Grandma could drive it fast (according to an article I read some time ago).

I guess my question is... what is weekend fun if it isn't twisties and it isn't track use? I'm 95% sure the real answer is "breaking traffic laws on the highway" or "driving a bit too aggressively for local roads".
Ah yes, the "weekend warrior." I would wager to say that most of us break the speed limits routinely, even conservative drivers. For instance, on the 5fwy south cars travel routinely at 75-80 mph and there are still some cruising by faster than that. Now, aggressive driving around other drivers is dangerous for all involved especially by those that engage in impromptu street races. However, there are those places where one can push their car a bit when there is no traffic but really, the track is the only place to test the limits of any car. I personally will never hit the limits of my wagon but that's ok as I still have fun in it although I'm very discreet as to where and when.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:47 PM

Hmm, I seem to have dorked up my responses by adding them to your quotes. Sorry about that MuffinFlavored.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there any other car you wish you had instead?