Sponsored by:

Add 1 Litre - after just 1500 miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 02:16 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
M3
Add 1 Litre - after just 1500 miles

That’s a bit unexpected. When I check the dipstick it’s halfway between the notches. Doesn’t look like it needs a litre. Anyone else see this so early? I’d done 250 miles in stop start traffic. Maybe that confused it.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,674 Likes on 2,454 Posts
2019 C63CS
Is it a 2019? There appears to be an issue with the oil sensor in some 2019s. Mine has been giving me false oil level warnings since pretty much the beginning. It went away for a while when I started to drive it hard on the German Autobahn, but came back and then went away again. It always seemed to warn when driving slowly around town or in stop&go traffic. According to the dip stick the oil level was at max level the entire time, and I'm at 6200 miles now. I took it to two dealerships in Europe and they both confirmed that the oil level is fine. The second dealership checked the MB service portal and they said it looks like a known issue that AMG is aware of and looking into. Bring it to the attention of your dealership. It sounds like AMG is collecting data to figure out what's going on. My car is currently being shipped to the USA, and I will have to deal with this once it gets here. I already brought it to the attention of MB and the VPC, so maybe there'll be a fix already by the time my car gets here. I'm guessing they got a faulty batch of oil sensors. Just make sure the oil level is between the min and max level at all times and you should be fine for now. A liter would be once it's down to min level. At this stage you'd need about 0.5 liter to get it back to the max level.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-20-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:01 PM

M3
Originally Posted by superswiss
Is it a 2019? There appears to be an issue with the oil sensor in some 2019s. Mine has been giving me false oil level warnings since pretty much the beginning. It went away for a while when I started to drive it hard on the German Autobahn, but came back and then went away again. It always seemed to warn when driving slowly around town or in stop&go traffic. According to the dip stick the oil level was at max level the entire time, and I'm at 6200 miles now. I took it to two dealerships in Europe and they both confirmed that the oil level is fine. The second dealership checked the MB service portal and they said it looks like a known issue that AMG is aware of and looking into. Bring it to the attention of your dealership. It sounds like AMG is collecting data to figure out what's going on. My car is currently being shipped to the USA, and I will have to deal with this once it gets here. I already brought it to the attention of MB and the VPC, so maybe there'll be a fix already by the time my car gets here. I'm guessing they got a faulty batch of oil sensors. Just make sure the oil level is between the min and max level at all times and you should be fine for now. A liter would be once it's down to min level. At this stage you'd need about 0.5 liter to get it back to the max level.
Thankyou very much. Yes, it’s a 2019 S cabrio. Just run in. Yes, I’ll add a bit to bring it up to the top mark and let the service guys know. I’ll book it in for the diff oil change which apparently isn’t required but they e-mailed me to say bring it in. So I will. Been very good otherwise. Couple of annoying rattles. Didn’t get those with my M3 but hopefully they can be sorted. Oh, and the windscreen wipers. Or windscreen scrapers. Maybe some adjustment or new blades will put that right. I did a 350 mile journey in traffic and rain yesterday and they drove me mad. Doesn’t matter though; fantastic car.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,674 Likes on 2,454 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by markjord
Thankyou very much. Yes, it’s a 2019 S cabrio. Just run in. Yes, I’ll add a bit to bring it up to the top mark and let the service guys know. I’ll book it in for the diff oil change which apparently isn’t required but they e-mailed me to say bring it in. So I will. Been very good otherwise. Couple of annoying rattles. Didn’t get those with my M3 but hopefully they can be sorted. Oh, and the windscreen wipers. Or windscreen scrapers. Maybe some adjustment or new blades will put that right. I did a 350 mile journey in traffic and rain yesterday and they drove me mad. Doesn’t matter though; fantastic car.
Try cleaning your windshield with a 50/50 solution of water and 91% isopropyl alcohol to get all the grime and residue off. There might be some adhesive left from the window sticker or something. I use this to clean all my glass inside and outside and it's been the best at keeping the glass clean etc. All commercial cleaners have chemical crap in them that always leaves some kind of residue.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:42 PM

M3
Originally Posted by superswiss
Try cleaning your windshield with a 50/50 solution of water and 91% isopropyl alcohol to get all the grime and residue off. There might be some adhesive left from the window sticker or something. I use this to clean all my glass inside and outside and it's been the best at keeping the glass clean etc. All commercial cleaners have chemical crap in them that always leaves some kind of residue.
I’ll give that a try. Cleaning it tomorrow. It got much better when I squirted the washer but then started flapping about again. Next big journey is on Wednesday for my AMG Driving Academy day at Brooklands. Looking forward to that.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
After cleaning the windshield, apply some RainX. At freeway speeds you won't even need to use the wipers.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:10 AM

M3
Originally Posted by Radon
After cleaning the windshield, apply some RainX. At freeway speeds you won't even need to use the wipers.
Thanks, I’ll give that a go too.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 359 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Radon
Better yet, apply ceramic paint coating to the windshield (and all outside glass, car body, wheels, inside door/hood/trunk wells). It makes cleaning much easier and sheds water at speed ... and I've had zero problems with "fart wipers," which I often got when using RainX.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C63S
I had the same message come up on mine right before I took it in for the diff oil change. Service tech checked the oil level manually and everything looked good, so they didn't add any additional oil. Said AMGs in general burn oil more frequently so its common, but to always check manually than rely on a sensor.

Also, re: diff oil change, my SA and service manager called and ensured I came in for it, but when the tech went to do it he said its no longer required in 2019 (per the computer) and not even covered on MB pre-paid maintenance, so clearly some miscommunication even within the dealership. Im in Canada incase that matters. They talked amongst themselves and my SA pushed to have it done, dealership likely ate the cost.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:16 AM

M3
Originally Posted by Dilinquint
I had the same message come up on mine right before I took it in for the diff oil change. Service tech checked the oil level manually and everything looked good, so they didn't add any additional oil. Said AMGs in general burn oil more frequently so its common, but to always check manually than rely on a sensor.

Also, re: diff oil change, my SA and service manager called and ensured I came in for it, but when the tech went to do it he said its no longer required in 2019 (per the computer) and not even covered on MB pre-paid maintenance, so clearly some miscommunication even within the dealership. Im in Canada incase that matters. They talked amongst themselves and my SA pushed to have it done, dealership likely ate the cost.
That’s interesting thanks. I’ll give them a call today and see what they say. I envisage the same thing will happen.