Sponsored by:

Shipping to CA from out of state dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Shipping to CA from out of state dealer

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a new 2021 E-class sedan from an authorized dealership out of state and shipping to me in California. This is my first purchase from an out-of-state dealer and had a few questions below. Would really appreciate any helpful feedback. Thanks!
  • Any recommendations on reputable shipping companies? Enclosed trailer or open trailer?
  • Should I arrange a private vehicle inspection from a mobile inspector based near where the dealer is located? (since I won't be able to inspect the vehicle myself before purchase and delivery)
  • Is it normal standard procedure to execute the contracts sent from the dealer through a notary near where I live (in California) and send the down payment via bank wire? (this is what the dealer is informing me as to how the process will work)
  • Any other helpful advice or things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2021, 09:19 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 E43
Originally Posted by brianceo
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a new 2021 E-class sedan from an authorized dealership out of state and shipping to me in California. This is my first purchase from an out-of-state dealer and had a few questions below. Would really appreciate any helpful feedback. Thanks!
  • Any recommendations on reputable shipping companies? Enclosed trailer or open trailer?
  • Should I arrange a private vehicle inspection from a mobile inspector based near where the dealer is located? (since I won't be able to inspect the vehicle myself before purchase and delivery)
  • Is it normal standard procedure to execute the contracts sent from the dealer through a notary near where I live (in California) and send the down payment via bank wire? (this is what the dealer is informing me as to how the process will work)
  • Any other helpful advice or things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I bought mine from a dealer in Chicago back in June and got it shipped down to Florida. The dealer had relationships with a couple of carriers, but they just provided contact info and I had to make my own arrangements and pay the trucker directly. I just had it shipped on a regular open truck as I was going to repaint the front bumper anyways, but it was around $600 more for closed vs open trailer.

I got mine CPO and the sales person did go above and beyond to send me pictures and videos, keep in mind the car I bought had 6500 miles on it, so it was minimal imperfections I was dealing with. If not CPO I would recommend having someone reliable inspect it prior to signing all the paperwork, maybe ask on the forum for local reliable shops you can get it checked out at.

Yes, we did it the same way, often banks have a notary, so you can do the notary and wire at the same time to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, at least that is what the Wells Fargo I went to was able to do for me.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have more questions and I'll help as much as I can.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:05 PM

E350
Thanks. Much appreciated!
Old 09-14-2021, 12:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (sold)
I too am purchasing an out of state 2018 Wagon. Although mine is located in WA.

1. I have no recommendations on shipping as I will be flying out and "Road Tripping" her back to the East Coast. The dealer I am buying from quoted around $2k to have the vehicle shipped back, and at least 7-10 business days. So I am taking this as an opportunity to see America in a "new to me" car, plus I am pretty damn sure I can make the trip for well under $2k. LOL

2. Aside from any pictures on the dealers website, and any the salesperson may have sent you, do you think an inspection is needed since it's a brand new car?

3. As far as the contracts go, yes it is standard procedure to execute through a notary. As well as the bank wire. The dealership is doing everything in their power to ensure your money is "good" before they release the car to an entity they have not met in person. One thing you may find is the dealers proposal to use a third party title service to arrange for registration and sales tax associated with your state. While this may add some convenience, it also commands a sizeable chunk of your money to have completed (circa $1k). I think you may also be required to get a State Safety Inspection and emissions test (both state dependent) prior to being able to fully register your new vehicle.

Best of luck, and post pictures once you get her in your hands!!

Mike
Old 09-14-2021, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 243 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
Sales Taxes - When I looked into this a few years ago CA gave credit for sales tax paid in the orig state, IE you buy a Florida vehicle and pay $2000 in sales taxes. CA will deduct that $2K from their bite.

When buying any out of CA vehicle you should have it inspected for any changes to the engine. CA is pretty fussy about that. Only CARB approved devices (you must have the CARB sticker) are allowed. They don't care how much it will cost to get back into compliance. Out of compliance = no plates.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:41 PM

Received 152 Likes on 120 Posts
'94 SL600,'05 SL600,'06 S65,'07 E63,'14 E63S,'09SL600 all sold, ‘15 S65,‘18 E63S,'17 SL65, '17S65Cab
We live in SoCal and have purchased four MB's from out of state dealers with no problems. Two from Florida, one Nevada and one Ohio. Three were delivered by enclosed transport recommended by the selling dealer, arranged by us. The Nevada car we picked up in Vegas and drove home. Here is what I recommend.
1. You will pay sales tax in the selling state, Ca will deduct that amount from the Ca tax owed.
2. The car will need to be Ca certified, all MB's sold in the US are 50 state cars. No issues if it has not been modified.
3. You will need a Ca smog test prior to registration and verification.
4. Include in the sales agreement that the dealer certifies there are two working keys, one must have the silver Affalterbach logo on the back, all manuals and paper items are in the car, The perfume bottle is present if equipped with that option and all tools are present in the trunk. This saved me on the Ohio car because the dealer "discovered" one key was missing.
5. Have the dealer certify there is no aftermarket tint on the windshield or front side windows. If there is the dealer must remove it. The car will not pass the Ca physical verification process with that tint.
6. DO NOT USE THE Ca DMV! Life is too short. Join AAA if you are not a member and use them. 100% of the process can be done with AAA. When we purchased one of our out of state MB's we were on vacation in Pennsylvania. We just went to the local AAA office and did all the paperwork, mailed a check and the car was delivered the day after we got home.
7. We have always relied on good closeup photos and the selling dealerships representations of car conditions. So far the cars were always exactly as represented. In each case I had a dealer person walk the car while I was on the phone to look at and respond to specific questions. A video call works great.

The process is not difficult as long as the seller is a reputable dealer.
The following users liked this post:
amg guy (06-26-2024)
Old 09-14-2021, 05:44 PM

E350
Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback!
Old 09-14-2021, 06:01 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
2013 C63
Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback!
Reliable, Plycar, are all good. I have personally shipped my wagon from CA to MA with plycar and the process was hassle free.
Prices are pretty high with these two companies, but as reliable as you can get.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by izzy63
Reliable, Plycar, are all good. I have personally shipped my wagon from CA to MA with plycar and the process was hassle free.
Prices are pretty high with these two companies, but as reliable as you can get.
I've also shipped with Plycar multiple times; very pleased with their communication and the results.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
18 E63S, 22 etron GT
I’ve purchased a couple of cars from out of state dealers. The most recent shipping company I used was Montway. They delivered from VA to CA. The whole experience was great. I’d highly recommend paying extra for an enclosed trailer.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:52 AM

W124's; 92-2.6, 94-wagon
I am looking to ship a car from California to NewYork, does anyone know a car shipment company that will do the shipment fast and not very expensive, if possible.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes GLC 250 4matic 2017 Iridium silver, with beige/brown interior.
Originally Posted by 2wheelsoff
I am looking to ship a car from California to NewYork, does anyone know a car shipment company that will do the shipment fast and not very expensive, if possible.
I shipped a toyota camry from California to New York in seven days, and I payed $1752. For me, it seemed as a reasonable price, looking at the fact that I got my car in just a week.