Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Is the W212 E63 suspension active?

Hey guys,

I know that the car has the 3 modes and the rear is air and the front is springs. The shocks are electronically connected but what does it actually mean, how active is the suspension and is it a good system or would coilovers be better?

I ask because my rear shocks are on their way out and the fronts are ok but there is some residue. Parts price is enormous at the stealership and I don't know anyone else that sells them. FCP Euro quotes too many types to fit the E63 but as far as I know the E63s suspension needs the electric connection so FCP euro fitment advice isn't accurate I guess.

Is there a decent coilover setup for the W212 E63 and would it improve the handling do you think?

It would also be nice for the damn thing to maintain its ride height in the rear it drives me crazy it has a mind of its own. I can fit my head through the gap sometimes smh.

Thanks guys.
The following users liked this post:
cotmfk (07-15-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 05:17 PM

Received 257 Likes on 170 Posts
2014 E63S
Originally Posted by e500slr
Hey guys,

I know that the car has the 3 modes and the rear is air and the front is springs. The shocks are electronically connected but what does it actually mean, how active is the suspension and is it a good system or would coilovers be better?

I ask because my rear shocks are on their way out and the fronts are ok but there is some residue. Parts price is enormous at the stealership and I don't know anyone else that sells them. FCP Euro quotes too many types to fit the E63 but as far as I know the E63s suspension needs the electric connection so FCP euro fitment advice isn't accurate I guess.

Is there a decent coilover setup for the W212 E63 and would it improve the handling do you think?

It would also be nice for the damn thing to maintain its ride height in the rear it drives me crazy it has a mind of its own. I can fit my head through the gap sometimes smh.

Thanks guys.
Front is dampening only. Means firmness adjustment only. No movement. Rear has movement. I beleive its 1" between each suspension setting. Rear is bags that lower and raise as well as dampening. Rear height is controlled via a leveling rod. Front is typical springs
​​​
Old 07-13-2022, 05:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,439 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
And it's not active like the ABC tragedy
Old 07-13-2022, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 222 Posts
E63S
I have been searching for a Coilover solution for this platform pretty much since I first bought mine. There are a few questionable choices out there. GodSpeed (eBay brand), BC and some other even lesser known brands. The Hoonigan website was listing a KW set but they didn't really provide much info other than "Fits your vehicle". Recently chatted with IG vendor who also listed their product as "works on w212 E63"

They guy said he was still working on a solution to fool the computer from throwing fault code should you switch your car to "C" mode. He stated it will only work in "S" at the moment.
So, NO. There are no coilover solutions for these cars yet.
The following users liked this post:
cotmfk (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 10:21 AM

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
On the shoulder
Subscribed.

I'm getting some airmatic sensors (I've narrowed it down to it only happening in cold weather - odd....). I was thinking about going full coilovers. Ohlins would be awesome if they had something. Ohlins=looovvvveeeee

At the same time, the parts for the airmatic in the rear have come down significantly from what I remember them being before (from my search, it appears they are well under $1k now). That said, I'm not sure what's involved (how intensive/difficult) in the labor to replace them (i.e., do you have to somehow depressurize and re-pressurize the system???).
Old Today, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W212 E63 S M157 AMG
re: Is the W212 E63 suspension active?

"Is the W212 E63 suspension active?Hey guys,
I know that the car has the 3 modes and the rear is air and the front is springs. The shocks are electronically connected but what does it actually mean, how active is the suspension and is it a good system or would coilovers be better?"

not 2011, but 2014-16:
"MODEL 212 as of model year 2014 with CODE 488 (Steel/air suspension)
System in general
The air suspension system is a combination of a steel suspension at the front axle and an air suspension at the rear axle with continuous damper adjustment where the damping is adapted at each wheel according to the road surface condition and driving style."

Geez it only gets more complex, the deeper one dives into it. A grey-market 7K page manual around the internet devotes at least 95 pp. to the air suspension system.
Sensors interact with multiple functions; at this point I'm trusting the electrical engineers: "no-problems, no-warning lights, no codes, no worries."

Last edited by farwestE63; Today at 03:51 PM. Reason: quote e500slr