Mercedes-Benz Museum Stuttgart

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 784 Likes on 534 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Mercedes-Benz Museum Stuttgart

Since it seems like many of us here are world travelers, I wonder how many of us here have been to the MB museum.

I went shortly after it opened in 2006 and it was an awesome experience and an incredible amount of important automotive history. I've driven past it about every 2-3 years since, but haven't been back inside.

For those not familiar with it:
https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/art...ulture/museum/

It is definitely worth the visit! So have you been or planning to?

Old 07-11-2023, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,818 Likes on 2,552 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, I've been as part of my European Delivery in 2019. I've also been to the Porsche, Audi and BMW museums. They are equally great. BMW has probably the most convenient and impressive setup. The museum is right next to the BMW Welt connected with a pedestrian bridge. So you can take delivery of your new BMW in the Welt and then stroll over to the museum. With AMG, the delivery was in Sindelfingen in the Center of Excellence for me, which was nice, but to see the museum you have to drive to Stuttgart, which there wasn't really enough time with the factory tour on the same day. Since I also had a second factory tour at AMG itself in Affalterbach on the next day, I visited the museum after the AMG tour.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-11-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2023, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, I've been as part of my European Delivery in 2019. I've also been to the Porsche, Audi and BMW museums. They are equally great. BMW has probably the most convenient and impressive setup. The museum is right next to the BMW Welt connected with a pedestrian bridge. So you can take delivery of your new BMW in the Welt and then stroll over to the museum. With AMG, the delivery was in Sindelfingen in the Center of Excellence for me, which was nice, but to see the museum you have to drive to Stuttgart, which there wasn't really enough time with the factory tour on the same day. Since I also had a second factory tour at AMG itself in Affalterbach on the next day, I visited the museum after the AMG tour.
Very cool. Wow, you've done a lot! Sounds like a bunch of great experiences. I've also done the Porsche museum and factory tour. I haven't done Audi or BMW yet, but I'm still breathing, so it could happen.

One of the things that really impressed me about the Porsche plant (besides all the amazing car stuff) was how they had great lighting and live plants everywhere, especially the area where they build-out the dashboards... it was like a rain forest, lol.

I found it to be a massive contrast from a factory tour I took of the GM plant in Arlington Texas, everyone seemed under pressure, hurried and under stress. At Porsche, everyone seemed chill and happy. If I remember correctly, they had a 15 min break after working an hour.

Beyond engineering and manufacturing processes, I think you end up with higher quality when the people doing the work are happy.

Old 07-11-2023, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Keith66
Very cool. Wow, you've done a lot! Sounds like a bunch of great experiences. I've also done the Porsche museum and factory tour. I haven't done Audi or BMW yet, but I'm still breathing, so it could happen.

One of the things that really impressed me about the Porsche plant (besides all the amazing car stuff) was how they had great lighting and live plants everywhere, especially the area where they build-out the dashboards... it was like a rain forest, lol.

I found it to be a massive contrast from a factory tour I took of the GM plant in Arlington Texas, everyone seemed under pressure, hurried and under stress. At Porsche, everyone seemed chill and happy. If I remember correctly, they had a 15 min break after working an hour.

Beyond engineering and manufacturing processes, I think you end up with higher quality when the people doing the work are happy.
Yeah, I am originally from Europe and still have family, friends and acquaintances there. I actually have an acquaintance in the Stuttgart area, so I'm there regularly. Been on the Nürburgring many times, and took part in a couple of AMG Driving Academy events in Germany and Austria over the last year. Got to drive the AMG GT Black Series on the Nürburgring Grand Prix circuit and saw the AMG One in person. Since ED is no more, I had to find another way to drive these cars in Europe...haha.

As for the plants, yeah, that is the fundamental difference between Europe and the USA. Europe has proper labor laws, protection, living wages and Europeans work to live, whereas Americans live to work. In the USA you have to fear to lose your job, because unemployment insurance is a joke and healthcare benefits are tied to your job. So no job, no money, no healthcare, no nothing. Just hinders creativity and job satisfaction.

While you were there, did you pay attention to the employee parking lots? The people who work at Porsche, BMW, Audi, MB etc. drive the cars they build. They get generous employee discounts on top of their compensation. At GM, employees may drive GMs, but go to the Tesla factory here in Fremont for example, and the people who build the cars don't actually drive them. The lot is full of cheap, rundown American and Asian cars. The only people who can afford to drive a Tesla is management. I rather buy cars that are built by people who drive them.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-11-2023 at 04:49 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
LMinn (07-12-2023), sixfive (07-12-2023), Uber Wagon (07-14-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yeah, I am originally from Europe and still have family, friends and acquaintances there. I actually have an acquaintance in the Stuttgart area, so I'm there regularly. Been on the Nürburgring many times, and took part in a couple of AMG Driving Academy events in Germany and Austria over the last year. Got to drive the AMG GT Black Series on the Nürburgring Grand Prix circuit and saw the AMG One in person. Since ED is no more, I had to find another way to drive these cars in Europe...haha.

As for the plants, yeah, that is the fundamental difference between Europe and the USA. Europe has proper labor laws, protection, living wages and Europeans work to live, whereas Americans live to work. In the USA you have to fear to lose your job, because unemployment insurance is a joke and healthcare benefits are tied to your job. So no job, no money, no healthcare, no nothing. Just hinders creativity and job satisfaction.

While you were there, did you pay attention to the employee parking lots? The people who work at Porsche, BMW, Audi, MB etc. drive the cars they build. They get generous employee discounts on top of their compensation. At GM, employees may drive GMs, but go to the Tesla factory here in Fremont for example, and the people who build the cars don't actually drive them. The lot is full of cheap, rundown American and Asian cars. The only people who can afford to drive a Tesla is management. I rather buy cars that are built by people who drive them.
Ah, okay cool. My tie there is my in-laws all live in the Stuttgart area so I'm there as often as I can be.

Man, you're living life! Excellent.

You are so right and it's such a major difference between the USA and EU. And I will never understand why we're all over here killing ourselves, as the EU is just as productive and profitable without grinding people into the ground... but that's a massive discussion, lol.

I did notice that! I remember thinking; how can the company be profitable when the employees can drive such nice cars!? But they've figured it out. And you're right about that difference too, at the GM plant, the parking lot was full of Toyotas, Nissans and beat-up Saturns, lol.

Sad.

Old 07-12-2023, 07:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (sold)
I second what Superswiss says about the BMW museum and Welt! Both were pretty spectacular and equally convenient.

As a comparison (albeit a small one), when living in Vienna we opted to take delivery of the Wife's Volvo XC90 at the factory in Gothenburg, Sweden. Now, not as grand and spacious as BMW, but it was nice to see happy employees (mostly women) enjoying their work and in a setting that was conducive to offering a quality product. It was also nice to be carted around the factory floor while being showered in sparks from the robots welding body panels/parts together. The Swedish Meatballs were good too. :-)

Since I'm in Frankfurt for another two years, I need to make it a priority to go see the Mercedes Museum. Any pointers on when and when not to go? Also, how does one get the honor of attending an AMG driving event?

Mike
The following users liked this post:
Keith66 (07-13-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by E63S Hopeful
Since I'm in Frankfurt for another two years, I need to make it a priority to go see the Mercedes Museum. Any pointers on when and when not to go? Also, how does one get the honor of attending an AMG driving event?
They are closed Mondays and some public holidays, but outside of that you can pretty much go whenever you want. I'm guessing weekends are probably more busy. I went during the week on a Tuesday. As for AMG driving events, they offer all kinds of experiences. Check out their website.

https://experience.mercedes-amg.com/

Trending Topics

Old 07-12-2023, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 562 Likes on 386 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Visited the Mercedes museum during my European Delivery tour as well. Really enjoyed it. Also enjoyed the factory tour.
Keith66 (07-13-2023)
Old 06-28-2024, 12:14 PM

Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Visited the museum in Stuttgart last month and will share a few pictures here.
I went expecting to whip through it in an hour. I spent 4 hours...and could have easily spent an entire day, had I not been on a time schedule.
VERY impressive.

1904 Mercedes-Simplex 60 PS Reiselimousine. Top speed 50 mph

1928 Mercedes-Benz 26/120/180 PS Typ S Tourenwagen. Top speed: 100 mph. 146 produced.

1936 Mercedes-Benz 500K Spezial-Roadster Top speed: 100 mph. 342 produced.

1936 Mercedes-Benz 500K Spezial-Roadster Top speed: 100 mph. 342 produced.

1954 Mercedes-Benz 300 S Cabriolet A Top speed: 108 mph. 560 produced

2017 Mercedes-AMG GT Concept. Petrol. Top speed: 186 mph
crconsulting (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 562 Likes on 386 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Same, did it during my European Delivery tour and the family and I really enjoyed it. Can easily spend the better part of a day there.
crconsulting (06-29-2024)