SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: New SL, New Problems - CAN BUS Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes e500 4MATIC, 2002 E320 4MATIC Wagon
New SL, New Problems - CAN BUS Issues

Hello all, I recently purchased a 2004 Mercedes SL500 Base with 155,000 miles. After fixing a few issues with the car, I noticed my right high beam wasn't coming on when I toggle the switch. After changing out the bulb, I still get same thing. I also noticed that my running light, and side marker light, do not work either on that side. It's almost as if all the lights on the front passenger side were burnt out, however, replacing them did not solve the issue. When the headlights are in the off position, the driver side low beam stays on, while the passenger side is off. However, when I turn on the headlights, they both turn on. The low beam is the only bulb I can get working on the passenger side, but only when the headlights are toggled on. What's really throwing me for a loop is when the key is out of the ignition, and I turn the headlight knob to on, only the passenger side headlight illuminates, and the driver side stays off. 🤯

I checked for codes and got "B1075 - Control Unit N10/11(Passenger-side SAM Control Module) Is Not Transmitting Data On The CAN Bus". I pulled the right side SAM out, removed the board, and cleaned it with contact cleaner and a toothbrush. There was a bit of green corrosion where water had gotten in. Now with the control board cleaned and reinstalled, nothing has changed and I still have the same errors. I checked under the passenger footwell carpet and cleaned the CAN Bus bar that also had some corrosion on it. Still nothing unfortunately. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me solve this problem, thank you!
Old 12-01-2023, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 211 Posts
95 SL600
Sounds like those two need t be replaced.
Old Today, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz SL500R 5.0L V8 (M113)
Originally Posted by ethan214
Hello all, I recently purchased a 2004 Mercedes SL500 Base with 155,000 miles. After fixing a few issues with the car, I noticed my right high beam wasn't coming on when I toggle the switch. After changing out the bulb, I still get same thing. I also noticed that my running light, and side marker light, do not work either on that side. It's almost as if all the lights on the front passenger side were burnt out, however, replacing them did not solve the issue. When the headlights are in the off position, the driver side low beam stays on, while the passenger side is off. However, when I turn on the headlights, they both turn on. The low beam is the only bulb I can get working on the passenger side, but only when the headlights are toggled on. What's really throwing me for a loop is when the key is out of the ignition, and I turn the headlight knob to on, only the passenger side headlight illuminates, and the driver side stays off. 🤯

I checked for codes and got "B1075 - Control Unit N10/11(Passenger-side SAM Control Module) Is Not Transmitting Data On The CAN Bus". I pulled the right side SAM out, removed the board, and cleaned it with contact cleaner and a toothbrush. There was a bit of green corrosion where water had gotten in. Now with the control board cleaned and reinstalled, nothing has changed and I still have the same errors. I checked under the passenger footwell carpet and cleaned the CAN Bus bar that also had some corrosion on it. Still nothing unfortunately. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me solve this problem, thank you!
Did you fix it?