SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Dashboard Warnings Gone MAD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL350 (R230)
Dashboard Warnings Gone MAD

My 2006 SL350 has developed a new fault.

The dashboard intermittently goes wild with warning messages (Restraint System Malfunction
SRS
Rev counter speedo and fuel gauge sometimes fall to zero and recover
Spot lamps flash and head lamps
Roll over bar warning light
battery warning light
visit workshop warning
Comand goes wild
Heater controls change

There seems to be quite a bit of history on these forum's with regard to this issue and the census - if I am reading this right - is that its a faulty Electronic Ignition Module (EIS or EIM ?).

Is that still the dominant opinion ?? or can anyone add to this ??

If I do swap the EIS / EIM do I have to change keys or is this identification handled elsewhere ?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2024, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 189 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
Your EIS is a candidate for causing this kind of misbehavior. In my case, additionally the seat belt tensioner in the back rest was frantically clicking away and the wipers didn't work.

But the first thing to check is your rear battery, under load. Second best, run the engine (not ideal, but your troubles also occur while the generator is supplying power) and measure voltage. Inadequate electric power supply causes all kinds of gremlins in an R230.

A new EIS must be mated to your car (VIN) by the MB dealer. They seem to hook the car up with their HQ and the session seems to take quite a bit of time. After a number of starts the EIS is married to the other theft prevention relevant components in your car and it is from then on supposed to be useless in any other car (i.e. with any other set of said components). That is why a used EIS in MB's terms is no option.
I think I paid MB € 1.100 in 2019. All gremlins gone instantly and still good.

There's folks on the internet that state they can fix a malfunctioning EIS.

Last edited by Frederick NL; 01-10-2024 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts
SL500
Question for BenzNinja. Are you able to address this issue with your service?
Old 01-11-2024, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 189 Posts
2005 R 230 SL350 (M112 3.7). Sold the 1966 W113 230SL recently
I should add that poor SAM contacts could be your problem, but I don't know if all the troubled items you see run through one SAM.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 221 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
I would also check the driver's side fuse block for corrosion. If the EIS is the problem, you can either have the dealer replace it, try to get yours repaired, or have a used one cloned to replace yours.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just looking
Originally Posted by Danny_Labrador
My 2006 SL350 has developed a new fault.

The dashboard intermittently goes wild with warning messages (Restraint System Malfunction
SRS
Rev counter speedo and fuel gauge sometimes fall to zero and recover
Spot lamps flash and head lamps
Roll over bar warning light
battery warning light
Home Remodeling Mercer Island
visit workshop warning
Comand goes wild
Heater controls change

There seems to be quite a bit of history on these forum's with regard to this issue and the census - if I am reading this right - is that its a faulty Electronic Ignition Module (EIS or EIM ?).

Is that still the dominant opinion ?? or can anyone add to this ??

If I do swap the EIS / EIM do I have to change keys or is this identification handled elsewhere ?

Thanks
Need some help here please! My brother owns a 320d M Sport 2009 LCI and has developed a crazy fault, what happens is soon as you turn the lights on, the dash goes crazy with warning lights, including Airbag, Service, DCT, ABS, rev counter goes up and down, you name it, when you turn the lights off the car goes back to normal. Checked all the lights and all bulbs look fine.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL350 (R230)
I will try to help - I'm NOT an expert BUT I do seem to be gaining experience with these cars in a way that I would have preferred to avoid.

All I can tell you is about my experience and how the issue was resolved.

You will have seen from the above that what happened to me with the dashboard is similar but that does not mean that the cure will be the same but what I tell you may provide some insight.

The first thing to say is that you need to get the car in front of an experienced automotive electrician equipped with a genuine Mercedes STAR diagnostic system. When you do this many things will come to light.

It immediately became clear on my car that there was an issue with the Overhead Control Panel (OCP) - on the windscreen where the interior lights are located. The Star system reported that the sensor N70b1 (the in car temperature sensor) was reporting an "implausible reading". I guess this means out of limits (I believe it was 65C) and that its a faulty sensor or open circuit.

The effect that this had was to slow the CANBUS communications down to a very low level and this CANBUS issue apparently caused ALL the other issues to occur - and I can tell you there were many. My expert explained it to me that in effect the comms in the car becomes so congested that nothing could talk on the CANBUS system.

One simple thing cured it all - the replacement of the OCP. A second hand one from eBay and all issues resolved. ( I say resolved but I now have a "light sensor" error - so that's eighter a faulty sensor or a bad connection - but its just that, nothing else)

I am not saying that this is your problem buy hopefully it may help.

The big lesson I learnt is get to someone who knows how to use the STAR system.
Old 08-05-2024, 04:41 PM

Suzuki
If your car's dashboard is displaying multiple warning lights simultaneously, it can be alarming. This issue could be caused by a range of factors
<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->disabled person registration form
Old Today, 03:10 PM

suzuki
  • If the issue is with a wordpress theme development services, identify which plugin or theme is triggering the warnings.
  • Error Logs: Check your site’s error logs (via hosting control panel or
    Code:
    wp-config.php
    with
    Code:
    WP_DEBUG
    enabled) to see what’s causing the warnings.