Towbar for C218 CLS350 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
Towbar for C218 CLS350 Coupe

I have seen many threads discussing the legality of towing with a C218 CLS (coupe not shooting brake)

I understand that there are homologation restrictions (218 is not type approved AFAIK) and that there could be legal problems if you have an accident while towing

I don't want to discuss legality. I am interested in finding practical options for fitting a towbar.

I understand that there are supposed to be options for getting a towbar (may involve bumper cut etc.) but I cannot seem to find them. I am trying to find out where these options are if they exist.

Can anybody provide any links to any supplier of any towbar for CLS C218 Coupe?

I can find many links for towbar for CLS C218 Shooting brake but not coupe. Is the shooting brake type approved but the coupe is not?

Will the shooting brake towbar fit the coupe? (maybe with a bumper cut?)

I understand that there are electrics issues and the lights connection requires some kind of relay bypass (?)

There is a confusing link here saying that there is a towbar for a C219 but the picture clearly shows a C218

https://etowbars.com/au/Towbars/Merc...LS-Towbar-C219

Old 05-01-2024, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 5
Hi,

I have registered just to follow this thread I would love to buy CLS W218 Coupe but the towbar for carrying bicycles for me is a must. I also couldn’t find much information about this in the internet and still don’t know if it will be possible to mount a towabar for a cls w218 coupe (just for bicycles, dont want to tow anything) and if it will be legal in Europe. I have checked with European company who sales towbars and bicycle racks and they calim that it is possible and will be legal in Europe. Below I’ll copy paste their email answer. Let me know if you have any more information.

"Dear Hubert,

thank you for your inquiry.

For Mercedes CLS (C218) we can offer following set:

https://www.hakihol.pl/197035
https://www.rameder.de/bosstow-anhaengerkupplung-abnehmbar-inkl-trail-tec-e-satz-13polig-spezifisch-197034-09052-1.html

For this towbar you don´t need to enter into registration because towbar has EU-certificate.

Für weitere Rückfragen stehen wir Ihnen gern zur Verfügung.
Please contact us for any further questions you may have.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
kind regards

Aydin Kaplan
sales department

Rameder Anhängerkupplungen und Autoteile GmbH
Am Eichberg Flauer 1
07338 Leutenberg / OT Munschwitz
Deutschland

phone: +49 36734 35 341
Fax: +49 36734 35 315
Email: info@kupplung.de
Web: www.rameder.eu "