SL/R230: 2007 SL550 Evap Error Code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML63 AMG
2007 SL550 Evap Error Code

Hello everyone,

I've recently encountered a couple of issues with my car that I'm hoping to get some insights on from this knowledgeable community.

A few days ago, while driving, an error message briefly appeared indicating a problem with the fuel cap, suggesting it was either missing or not properly sealed. The message disappeared after approximately one minute. Since then, I've noticed a significant change in how the car starts. Previously, the engine would start after a few attempts ("chuga chugs"), but now it requires several more ("chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga chuga") before it successfully starts. Despite this, once started, the car seems to operate normally.

Additionally, yesterday, my iCarSoft scanner displayed a check engine light with a code of 1085, which was described as "a gross leak in the evaporative emission control system was detected." I cleared the code, and the car ran fine afterward.

Given these symptoms, I'm trying to determine the best course of action. Would simply adding a fuel additive help, or might there be a more significant issue at play here? I'm particularly concerned about the evaporative emission control system error and whether it might be related to the starting difficulty.

Any advice, diagnostic tips, or similar experiences you could share would be greatly appreciated. I'm eager to resolve this issue and ensure my car is running smoothly again.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 05-03-2024, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 262 Likes on 201 Posts
'03 SL55 Black, '03 SL500's Aegean, Mars Red, Tazanite, Alabaster, '11 S550 Flint Gray
I would disconnect the purge valve and plug the line and then see if it starts normally. If you are getting excess air through the purge line, that could cause the hard starts.