S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

Supply chain issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 08:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes Benz S 580 e
Supply chain issue

My '23 S 580 e is just over 7 months old, and the door to the charger (on the driver's side) opened easily with slight push of the door, identically to the fuel door on the passenger side. One morning, I attempted to open the charging door with a simple "push"....and.....nothing. The door simply would not open. Two weeks ago it went back to the Dealer for diagnosis and repair. Well, the diagnosis went fine. The push mechanism on the inside of the door was defective/broken and needs to be replaced. I was told the "GOOD" news is that the replacement part has a different part number, so Mercedes acknowledges a problem with the original PUSH mechanism. However, now the repair is another matter. Two weeks in and the dealer still can't confirm they have been able to order the replacement, much less confirm an estimated arrival date for the new part. However apologetic the Service folks have been, I am still amazed that the car is sitting at the dealer all this time with a total news blackout from the service people. Each time I call or text, they just keep responding that they are still trying to source the replacement part.

Is there any Regional Manager from corporate Mercedes I can contact to ask for some intervention to gain some insight into the real problem going on here? Any information would be helpful. The Warranty Book states that warranty work must be completed within thirty (30) days. But it doesn't state what happens after the thirty days are up? I'm at day #15 and counting. Up until now, the car has been absolutely flawless (except for the killer door stops, that is).

What say the Collective?
Old 05-07-2024, 09:06 PM

Received 158 Likes on 126 Posts
AMG
do you know the part number?
could that be it?
https://classicparts.mbusa.com/oem-p...tch-2239059404
Old 05-08-2024, 10:21 AM

Mercedes Benz S 580 e
Originally Posted by Dima
do you know the part number?
could that be it?
https://classicparts.mbusa.com/oem-p...tch-2239059404
The part number they are trying to source is:

Central Locking Motor - Mercedes-Benz (000-820-82-12)

Old 05-08-2024, 10:50 AM

Received 158 Likes on 126 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by jsakabuck
The part number they are trying to source is:

Central Locking Motor - Mercedes-Benz (000-820-82-12)

here you are:
https://www.mbpartscenter.com/oem-pa...-motor-8208212
Old 05-10-2024, 05:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes s580
My car had the same issue. It is at Mercedes Benz of Boston right now. They escalated the case with MB and a special order was approved and the part is scheduled to be delivered in two weeks. I have an S580 loaner, so I can afford to be patient, but I wouldn't be if my dealer was as unhelpful as yours is.

I would call MBUSA corporate. They are generally fairly responsive.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,706 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Its amazing to me how long MB dealers are content to let a customers car just sit there. Mine is in for a valve cover leak and I dropped it off yesterday for an appointment today that I made a week ago and they never even started it, never even looked at it. Texted me saying they will "let me know if they are able to look at it today", acting like they're working me in for an appointment I made a week ago.

Never have seen this behaviour from any other dealer but MB.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:32 PM

Mercedes s580
My dealer has been very responsive in attending to 4 cars over the past 8 years. My cars have rarely been there for more than a few days.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
One time I actually went back and picked up the car when it had sat at the dealer for 5 days when dropped off with an appointment without being looked at. I always put the app on valet mode so I know when they do anything with the car.
The following users liked this post:
RJC (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 08:55 AM

Mercedes Benz S 580 e
Originally Posted by jasonbessey
My car had the same issue. It is at Mercedes Benz of Boston right now. They escalated the case with MB and a special order was approved and the part is scheduled to be delivered in two weeks. I have an S580 loaner, so I can afford to be patient, but I wouldn't be if my dealer was as unhelpful as yours is.

I would call MBUSA corporate. They are generally fairly responsive.
Any word yet on your delivery date for the part?

I spoke with MBUSA last week. Service Rep was VERY sympathetic, but stated that the problem could not be escalated until thirty (30) days had passed if no ETA was established at that time. So I wait....ever so patiently. I have an official MB Case#, so when I call again on May 24th (the 30 day mark), they will have the background on my problem.

Driving around with the battery charger door flapping in the wind is a bit disconcerting, but so many helpful driver's have tooted their horns to point out that the door is open, I've gotten used to waiving them a "Thank you, I know about the door".
Old 05-14-2024, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 673 Posts
23 S580 Executive
That is one of the saddest condemnations of a service failure I've ever read.
Streamliner (05-24-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 11:40 AM

Mercedes s580
Any word yet on your delivery date for the part?

I spoke with MBUSA last week. Service Rep was VERY sympathetic, but stated that the problem could not be escalated until thirty (30) days had passed if no ETA was established at that time. So I wait....ever so patiently. I have an official MB Case#, so when I call again on May 24th (the 30 day mark), they will have the background on my problem.

Driving around with the battery charger door flapping in the wind is a bit disconcerting, but so many helpful driver's have tooted their horns to point out that the door is open, I've gotten used to waiving them a "Thank you, I know about the door".
They think next week or week after. They are keeping me in my S580 loaner until it is in
Old 05-18-2024, 10:22 AM

Mercedes Benz S 580 e
Quick update this morning. I got a text yesterday morning from my Service Rep. The Parts Department finally gave them an ETA on the charge port door mechanism....Tuesday, May 21st.
We'll see.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:06 PM

Mercedes s580
My car was finished yesterday. Hopefully you got positive news.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:59 AM

Mercedes Benz S 580 e
Another big FAIL from my Dealership. The promised May 21st ETA came and want without the part. Very apologetic this morning, but another, "It's out of our hands" statement.

Oh, and by the way, the noisey/rattley passenger front seat headrest has popped up as a problem. With my luck, that'll be another missing part problem.

I am so disallusioned with the brand after all this time.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Yeah, I hear you, I'm driving a BMW. What I can say about it is that verything works. You would think that's nothing, rent a car and everything works. It's only after owning a Mercedes you understand that bar is too high for some brands. I'm told it was better before, and I believe the many that have said as much.

I'd say they need to get back to that.

Last edited by crabman; 05-23-2024 at 01:45 PM. Reason: My phone decided I said a bad word.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:14 PM

Mercedes s580
Originally Posted by crabman
Yeah, I hear you, I'm driving a BMW. What I can say about it is that verything works. You would think that's nothing, rent a car and everything works. It's only after owning a Mercedes you understand that bar is too high for some brands. I'm told it was better before, and I believe the many that have said as much.

I'd say they need to get back to that.
Glad you're enjoying the i7. There was one parked at my condo building this week. The exterior just isn't for me, otherwise I'd consider it. Sticking with the s580e for the next couple of years. Will see what the next Merc electric refresh looks like, and also keeping my eye on Lucid.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
I believe @crabman is driving a X5M. I really like my EQ (I don't care what it looks like, I drive on the inside) But my wife's new BMW is definitely put together better.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Yeah, I couldn't make friends with the schnoz on the 7, and I thought I would shake things up, so I did the M thing.
Old 05-31-2024, 11:24 AM

Mercedes Benz S 580 e
Today's update from Mercedes Benz Regional Office in Atlanta. After escallading the original matter (with a new case number), the ETA for the push-pull mechanism is now...wait for it.... and this is a quote...."MAYBE THE END OF JUNE, we have no way to telling, it may be earlier than that". Although very apologetic, she just couldn't say anything else about the matter.

You just can't make this SH*T up.
Old 06-02-2024, 03:56 PM

Mercedes s580
Originally Posted by crabman
Yeah, I couldn't make friends with the schnoz on the 7, and I thought I would shake things up, so I did the M thing.
Got it. I like what BMW has done electrifying their flagship, as opposed to what Mercedes has done with the EQS, but can’t get over the way that 7 looks. X5M was on my list before I got this car, but I think I’m all-in on electric/PHEV for what is pretty much just my daily commuter.
Old 06-02-2024, 03:58 PM

Mercedes s580
That sucks. I’ve had my car back with the flap motor replaced for a couple weeks now.

Today's update from Mercedes Benz Regional Office in Atlanta. After escallading the original matter (with a new case number), the ETA for the push-pull mechanism is now...wait for it.... and this is a quote...."MAYBE THE END OF JUNE, we have no way to telling, it may be earlier than that". Although very apologetic, she just couldn't say anything else about the matter.

You just can't make this SH*T up.
Old Today, 08:12 AM

Mercedes Benz S 580 e
I thought folks would be interested in my update of my supply chain issues. After waiting nine (9) weeks, the charging port flap control modular arrived from Germany and was installed last week. To that end, I was granted an EQS SUV for the week the Service Department needed to make the repairs.

Regarding the Warranty Repairs, while they were installing the new flap, they also looked at my Passenger Headrest rattle which had been driving me crazy for months, along with the Center Console button that refuses to open the Center Console. The Headrest rattle was settled by installing a new headrest, but the Center Concole button is back-ordered from Germany, so now I wait AGAIN for supply chain issues.

Now, for something completely different....my one week test-drive of the EQS SUV. Having been a huge advocate for PHEV vehicles (my S 580 e has been wonderful in that regard, getting between 50 and 60 miles of range on a charge) I am convinced about BEV's is the future for luxury vehicles. Of course, that assumes one can charge at home and at work (which I can), but the whole experience driving a BEV for the week was great. The car managed 345 miles of ranges on the fully charged battery when I picked up the car two weeks ago. No range anxiety to speak of. The car was tight as a drum, no shakes or rattles, was faster than my S 580 e and handled surprisingly well for a 6,000 pound SUV. I even enjoyed interfacing with the Hyper Screen.

I have another two years on my S 580 e, but a future BEV will definitely be on my radar after that.

Streamliner (Today)
Old Today, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 4Matic
Totally agree on the BEV. The S580 is certainly my last ICE car. Hopefully MB will make their EVs more attractive by the time I’m ready. That’s the only thing that kept me out of one now.