GT Curious Question(s)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 12:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
15' W222
GT Curious Question(s)

Hey guys,

I'm an all-around car guys, mostly into classics, trucks and luxury sedans (long time S-Class owner) but for the past couple years I've really wanted a starter sports/super car with a relatively reasonable entry-point, yet respectable enough to pull up to some of our cars & coffee events and thought the AMG GT might tick a few of those boxes. I recently sold my S-Class so I have an empty garage spot begging to be filled
Any recommendations on where to start? I usually buy pre-owned, but if leasing a new 2024 AMG GT63 is an option I'm all in, lol. Are there any years/trim/spec that I should focus my attention on?
Old 05-09-2024, 09:40 AM

Received 126 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 AMG GTC
Hi,
In general, all these GT models are great and most importantly, they are fun to drive. They each design for slightly different use case
To determine the ideal GT model for your needs and preferences, consider the following:

Do you plan to use the car on track? If so, how frequently? what is your proficiency level in track driving and what are your objectives?
Are you seeking a vehicle suitable for both daily driving and track performance?
or, will the car primarily serve as a daily driver, used 100% of the time? or only on weekends with no intention for track use?
Are you inclined towards a coupe or a roadster configuration?
Furthermore, when comparing the new GT63 with its predecessors from 2016-2021, take into account that the new model boasts enhanced luxury features and a sleeker profile with a shorter nose. Are you more drawn to the "classic" appearance of the 2016-2021 models, or does the updated design of the newer models appeal to you more?

I think the above will help the community guide you to the best model.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:30 PM

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
I just got the new GT55 2 door last week and it is very different from the older generation. GP, you are correct it is geared more towards luxury than performance/track. It is in my rotation for daily driver and I would have never used the last gen for daily. You can be on a conference call and enjoy the massaging seat on the new one. Not sure there will be any lease deals as they typically don’t offer any incentives and the MF is typically high on these.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:31 PM

Received 664 Likes on 350 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
You can pull up to a Cars & Coffee event with any of these cars, but none but the most exotic (and expensive) should be anything but transportation there.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 165 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by MalibuScott
You can pull up to a Cars & Coffee event with any of these cars, but none but the most exotic (and expensive) should be anything but transportation there.
we have EuroSuday meet that is not about getting from the point A to B
Old 05-12-2024, 12:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
I guess most of us here analyzed what was out there and decided an AMG GT was for us. I'd bet 90%+ have happy with the decision. I'm a little bit more of a Porsche guy but I thought the SLS and AMG GT were extremely cool looking. A used one popped up a couple of miles from where I was working so I decided to drop by and see how it drove. I was shocked and decided that an AMG GT was for me.

Another thing I liked was it looked to me like the AMG GTs dropped to nearly half the sticker quickly and I couldn't see them going much lower than that. So as long as I picked up a few years used model I would not suffer much depreciation. I looking at it from that perspective it seems the SLS Gull Wing would be the best investment, vs any of the roadster/convertibles would be the worse investment (that happens with Porsche, etc too, purist and track guys don't want a convertible). GTR's and rare models (Black, etc) also should hold value better.

Now that the GTC has been out longer and the price has dropped further, I might lean more that way if I could have fit it in my budget (a GTR, etc is a little too much flash and cost for me). The way I understand it the C has a little softer softest ride but also has the wide body and somewhat upgraded motor like the GTR.

I did not think about stock HP variants since I planned a "flash" upgrade anyways. Most here encouraged getting a car with race mode, I'd say that will also help longterm value a little. Most seem to prefer the panoramic roof and the black many spoked simulated knock of hub wheels. Btw, those wheels are horrible to clean thoroughly but the outer polished ring, etc outweighs the cleaning struggles.
Old 05-12-2024, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by LAWYER2
Hey guys,

I'm an all-around car guys, mostly into classics, trucks and luxury sedans (long time S-Class owner) but for the past couple years I've really wanted a starter sports/super car with a relatively reasonable entry-point, yet respectable enough to pull up to some of our cars & coffee events and thought the AMG GT might tick a few of those boxes. I recently sold my S-Class so I have an empty garage spot begging to be filled
Any recommendations on where to start? I usually buy pre-owned, but if leasing a new 2024 AMG GT63 is an option I'm all in, lol. Are there any years/trim/spec that I should focus my attention on?
What's your budget? It's hard to make any recommendations without knowing that, but for all around exotic factor, handling, and livability, I suggest you look at the 18/19 GTCs. As Eyeman said, you get the wider rear and slightly softer suspension. On top of that, you can actually get the interior in decent colors and have your choice of roadster or coupe. Throw an aftermarket wing on it to bump up the aggressiveness, or leave as is, it should still command plenty of respect at small-mid sized Cars and Coffees. They are also practical enough to daily, most of the time, and have enough storage space for long trips and runs to the grocery/hardware store.