SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 AMG Failed Compression Test - Advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 04:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
CL55AMG
Lightbulb SL55 AMG Failed Compression Test - Advice!

Hey Guys,

Have an SL55 AMG I've put some love into. Weistec 3.0l Supercharger Kit, Killer Chiller, LT Headers, Wheels, Suspension, yada yada. It's been running rough, and I just found out it's down to 50PSI on one pot (other 7 cylinders are good). I don't really know what to do, and neither does my garage. As I see it the options are:

Option1:
Buy a used engine and swap it out. Probably the cheapest option but doesn't improve anything.

Option 2:
Buy a performance engine and swap it out. Where to get one (genuine question)? Who to trust? How do I know the bought engine work has been done properly?

Option 3:
Pull out the block and dry line one cylinder, reassemble. Cheapest option for fixing my engine, but seems like a waste to just do the one 'while I'm in there'.

Option 4:
Dry line all cylinders. Maybe standard capacity, maybe not (probably worth some forged pistons, while I'm in there).

Option 5:
Dry line all cylinders and bore out, and fit some forged pistons. I can probably go 2-3mm overbore and get up to 5.7ltrs

Option 6:
Go all out and get some Darton MiD Sleeves, Pistons, (Maybe rods?) bore to 5.7ltrs, push up the PSI and see how much power I can get.

Option 7:
Sell it for parts and get an S560 convertible

I'm looking for advice and guidance, maybe from people who've been down this route. I am not looking forward to the cost of any option here and as such want to get the best bang for my buck. Any other left field suggestions welcome. Pointers on who has an engine or does sleeving work in NY state all good too.

Lay it on me!

Last edited by Brad Cross; 05-18-2024 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 01:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG
How comfortable are you with doing some of the work yourself? I'm building and engine but I'm doing most of the work, so it keeps the cost down. If not, then you need to ask yourself how much you value the car.
Old 06-29-2024, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts
95 SL600
Used engine is 20 years old, and $4500 or more, lining one cylinder just silly. Not sure where you would get a performance engine, but rebuilding this one yourself will cost you at a bare minimum $7000 or more in parts and sleeves. The German engines are all or nothing with a broken engine. They are coated cylinder crap that scores and can’t be bored.

Essentially throw away engines with expensive and some parts becoming non existent with the 113k. Try to find some bearings, and that may make your decision easier. Plus the 230 has many other fatal flaws that make this decision a no brainer. Go try to locate a battery control module for your car., used ones are $2000 and new ones don’t exist.