Sponsored by:

Magno Platinum Paint Rusting due to License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 01:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Magno Platinum Paint Rusting due to License Plate Bracket

Looking for some guidance here as Magno paint is notoriously hard to repair. Additionally, this serves as a bit of a PSA to check your license plate bracket and bolts.

Essentially the bolts for my license plate bracket have pierced the paint and caused it to rust over time. It's clear it has been there for awhile now. This is the first time I've had the entire bracket off as the second owner, so you can imagine the gut punch it was to see 4 circles carved into the paint. I have no idea if everyone got the same length of bolt or if this was a dealer mistake somehow, but it's obviously either too long or was over tightened. So that sucks, and I'd encourage everyone to take a peek if they have never done so.

For the Magno Platinum paint, if you know an excellent shop or individual who is experienced with magno paints, please pass along their info. Honestly, any guidance here would be appreciated. For those not aware, spot repair for magno paints is basically impossible to match with the rest of the car. So I am lucky it's in a spot where it'll mostly be covered, but I still want it done as well as it can possibly be done. Located near MI, NY, and Ontario Canada but willing to travel to get it done by the best.

Old 05-21-2024, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 392 Likes on 264 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I would just touch it up with something close so it doesn't rust and put a plate back on you won't see it anyways
Old 05-21-2024, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by deadlyvt
I would just touch it up with something close so it doesn't rust and put a plate back on you won't see it anyways
this 100%. And maybe shave your bolts down a little so they don’t keep rubbing
Old 05-24-2024, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
I agree with the touch up. Maybe put a stainless steel washer or two under the bolts to keep this from happening in the future if you cannot find properly sized stainless steel bolts to replace the ones you have now. That is what I did on mine. I have a decorative surround plus 3 stainless washers per bolt.