Spoiler or no spoiler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 195 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Spoiler or no spoiler?

The GTC was picked up yesterday. Expected possibly by tomorrow. Stock GTC in matte gray and fully wrapped. I want to swap the SS tailpipes for the gloss black ones. I know I'll need to remove the bumper. While I'm at it, what are your feelings of installing an OE stye rear wing?
Old 06-26-2024, 06:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
I think that the rear of these things looks good but incomplete with no wing. i did the GTR wing on my GTS and it looks killer. i had custom brackets made to raise it about 6"'s so that it actually is functional and it truly is at over about 85.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The GTR wing looks a little too wide. The OE version was more like I had in mind. I’ve been reading of issues with turning off the motor and not giving an error.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:47 PM

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts
2020 AMG GTC
(I have written this some time ago, but it may be relevant here)

When choosing a rear wing for the GTC (and likely for the GTS and GT as well), there are several aspects to consider:

Daily Driving:

Speed Considerations: If you use the car for daily driving only and don't plan to exceed 100-120 MPH or participate in track days, the choice is mainly about aesthetics. Any wing design you prefer can be used. My personal preference is the GTR OE wing in carbon fiber, paired with a RENNtech Carbon Fiber Rear Wing Lip with End Plates.

Drag and Fuel Economy: Larger and higher rear wings generate more downforce, which can slow down the car and increase fuel consumption.

High-Speed and Track Use:

Drag: This is the air resistance to the car’s movement. Adding a rear wing increases drag. The larger the wing and the higher the wing attack angle, the higher the resistance.

Frontal Lift: This is the tendency of the car’s front to lift due to airflow under the car's surface, increasing understeer and making the steering feel lighter. A safety consideration.

The 3 OEM Wings

GTC OEM Automatically-Deploying Rear Spoiler (standard): With this setup, there's minimal change in drag or frontal lift. Over 160 MPH the steering start to feel lighter.

OEM Fixed Wing (AMG Aerodynamic Package – DC3): This is a good option as it doesn't significantly increase drag and fuel consumption. The package includes a front splitter, air intake flicks, and wheel arch flicks, which increase frontal downforce to compensate for the rear wing's downforce, keeping the car balanced at high speeds. With this setup, and using proper tires, fuel, and enough road, I achieved a top speed of 201 MPH with only a slight feeling of light steering.

GTR Fixed Wing on GTC: This provides substantial rear downforce, which must be balanced with an aggressive front splitter. Unlike the GTR, the GTC lacks the Active Aerodynamics Profile in the underbody, which balances rear downforce without increasing drag. As a result, using a fixed splitter increases drag considerably. For example, with the same tires, fuel, and road used in the DC3 package, I could only achieve 196 MPH with the rear wing set to 4 degrees (minimum angle) and 192 MPH when set to 10 degrees (maximum angle). In contrast, the GTR, given the same conditions, could exceed 200 MPH with the OEM GTR wing set.

Conclusion:

Regardless of the rear wing you choose, it is crucial to balance it with a proper front splitter for safety. This ensures optimal performance and handling, particularly at high speeds.

Last edited by G. P; 06-26-2024 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:51 PM

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts
2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by ///Bruce
The GTR wing looks a little too wide. The OE version was more like I had in mind. I’ve been reading of issues with turning off the motor and not giving an error.
This will solve the issue when moving from the automatic wing to a fixed one: Active Rear Spoiler Delete - Mercedes-Benz AMG GT | Ansix Auto
Old 06-26-2024, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you everyone.