W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery, no mech key. How to get in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 SL600, 2004 E55
Dead battery, no mech key. How to get in?

I have found myself in a bit of a situation and need some advice. I parked my 2004 E55 for 2-3 months, resulting in a dead battery.

The doors are locked, keyless entry is not working, and the only key fob I have has a broken mechanical key (thank you previous owner!)

What are my options to gain access to the car to charge the battery?
  • Locksmith? Not sure if they can get inside these without causing damage?
  • Open the hood from underneath? Is this possible without pulling the interior hood release first? I have seen videos on how to release stuck hoods by popping open the latches from underneath the car. However it looked like all of them had pulled the interior hood release first.
  • I parked the car because of a crack in the windshield. Maybe instead of taking it to dealer for OEM windshield I get a mobile windshield repair and get in once they remove the cracked windshield.
  • Some other way I am not thinking of?
I have learned my lesson and have a battery tender on its way! Thanks for any help with this.
Old Today, 04:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2004 e500
If you can jack up the car, you can reach the alternator cables underneath, and connect a 12v jumper. I would only use small amp amount to unlock the car.

I'm not sure if there is a relay that may prevent you from doing this.
Old Today, 05:41 PM

Received 238 Likes on 199 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by AXTBuilt
I have found myself in a bit of a situation and need some advice. I parked my 2004 E55 for 2-3 months, resulting in a dead battery.

The doors are locked, keyless entry is not working, and the only key fob I have has a broken mechanical key (thank you previous owner!)

What are my options to gain access to the car to charge the battery?
  • Locksmith? Not sure if they can get inside these without causing damage?
  • Open the hood from underneath? Is this possible without pulling the interior hood release first? I have seen videos on how to release stuck hoods by popping open the latches from underneath the car. However it looked like all of them had pulled the interior hood release first.
  • I parked the car because of a crack in the windshield. Maybe instead of taking it to dealer for OEM windshield I get a mobile windshield repair and get in once they remove the cracked windshield.
  • Some other way I am not thinking of?
I have learned my lesson and have a battery tender on its way! Thanks for any help with this.
Take your registration or title to your local MB dealership and get your key issue sorted out.
Old Today, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 355 Likes on 306 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Yes power to the alternator then pop the trunk and replace the battery.
Or get a key like Machild said since you ARE going to need one anyway.