Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2024, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Tank

Hello everyone,

After much searching I finally purchased a nearly mint condition 2005 E55 last summer. Around October/November or so I filled up the tank and went for a spirited drive. I parked the car in the garage afterwards and thought nothing of it. An hour later or so I went to the garage and sure enough it smelled like gas by the drivers side rear tire well.

Needless to say I took the car to my indy shop and we pulled the backseat to find what we had expected. I didn't do the repair till about two months ago and just kept the tank at half full till then. I replaced the sending unit and pump with all the updated harnesses etc. Everything seemed fine.

Last week, during the heat wave, I once again filled the tank to full (never over) and went for an extremely spirited drive. Parked the car in the garage. I came back an hour later and my whole basement reeked of gas. Significantly worse than last time.

We are suspecting that the tank may be the issue. So I went to order a tank. According to my local parts department the tank part number for my vin is 211-470-25-02. This part is not in stock anywhere (including Germany) and is no longer in production.

This was upsetting news. Some parts sites mention that v6 tank, part number 211-470-24-02 is also compatible with my E55. I once again called a few dealerships. Their answers were no, or they didn't know.

I called Mercedes US customer service and requested a special procurement of 211-470-25-02. I am still waiting for it to be escalated.

So, my curiosity for an answer continued. According to NHTSA's report 281,000 vehicles were possibly affected with the fuel leak issue. I wondered did Mercedes really make a different tank for them?

I opened my E-Class manual which lists that it's the manual for all the models and went to see what the fuel capacity is. It lists the capacity for all models as 80 liters. What are the chances they made a completely different tank for the E55?

This thread https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...fuel-tank.html mentions the 211-470-24-02 as an optional replacement for an E55.

TL;DR: Is the fuel tank, part number 211-470-24-02, compatible with my E55?
Old 07-03-2024, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 353 Likes on 304 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Probably just leaking fuel at the senders.Pull the rear seat and tank inspection covers and have a look to see.
Old 07-03-2024, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by SICAMG
Probably just leaking fuel at the senders.Pull the rear seat and tank inspection covers and have a look to see.
just replaced all of that
Old 07-03-2024, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 965 Likes on 740 Posts
G550
Fuel systems are extraordinarily complex and include components intended to control fuel vapors. Leaks and malfunctions in these vapor systems are not uncommon. There are tests that can be done to check for vapor leaks which you might want to investigate. For example,
Old 07-03-2024, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by streborx
Fuel systems are extraordinarily complex and include components intended to control fuel vapors. Leaks and malfunctions in these vapor systems are not uncommon. There are tests that can be done to check for vapor leaks which you might want to investigate. For example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb5TVIJ6xbY
Thanks for the link.

I understand that and I will get my mechanic to do a thorough check.

I just wanted to know if that tank is compatible with my E55 in the event it needs replacement.
Old 07-12-2024, 03:17 AM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by streborx
Fuel systems are extraordinarily complex and include components intended to control fuel vapors. Leaks and malfunctions in these vapor systems are not uncommon. There are tests that can be done to check for vapor leaks which you might want to investigate. For example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb5TVIJ6xbY
Spoiler

Thanks for the video.

Last edited by MarkJackson; 07-19-2024 at 06:11 AM.