C-Class (W206) 2021 to

Run-flat or normal tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 07:06 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C300
Run-flat or normal tires?

I've been running the factory Bridgestone drive guards for 20k miles which need replacing. I'd like to know whether to change to normal tires keep the run flats.

My biggest concern is how easily the run flats have failed me. I've had a blowout on a pot hole early on and have a bubble in one currently. I live in Los Angeles so are roads aren't the best and littered with potholes.
I know that normal tires aren't as rigid and fragile, but am worried about another blowout at highway speeds that sends me crashing into the median. Has anyone experienced this? On the run-flat, I didn't notice until the pressure dropped to zero a few seconds later - I was able to drive myself off the highway and back home about 20 miles normally.

The benefits of improved ride comfort, noise, treadwear, and price are obvious, but do they outweigh the extended mobility of run-flats? We all have SOS tow (in the US) for a few years so the only thing holding me back is safety during a blowout. I also don't like replacing them as frequently (I've needed about 9 new tires in the last 8 years of run-flats).

What would you all choose?

Last edited by 818benz; Today at 07:08 AM.
Old Today, 10:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2023 C300 4MATIC
I hate the run-flats. They feel stiff and are noisy, even with the noise reduction tech in them. We're probably going to go to the Pirelli P Zero AS Plus 3 (from Tire Rack) when we switch later this year.

Last edited by 23C300W4; Today at 11:54 AM.
Old Today, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 615 Likes on 454 Posts
MB
https://www.mbusatirecenter.com/ has buy 3 get 4th for $1 until July 8. Each dealer sets their own prices so check all nearby dealers via the website.