E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Oil Consumption Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Oil Consumption Question

I am about to upgrade from a 2012 E350 C207 to a 2021 E450 C238 (USA versions). So I downloaded the owner's manual to see what I was getting into, and it has this caution about oil consumption. Is this what people are seeing? About a quart per 600 miles? My friend's E30 M3 used to do this, but I was surprised to see this in a Mercedes Owner's Manual. My E350 (130,000 miles) never consumed oil or had any leaks in the 7 years that I have owned it.
Thanks for any help.

From page 274 of the Owner's Manual:

Last edited by p.morrissey; Yesterday at 02:17 PM.
Old Today, 08:20 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
I’ve seen that in many owners manuals I think to ward off customers claiming they want an engine rebuild due to oil consumption.
I drive an E53 and I’ve never had to put oil in even between oil changes.
Old Today, 09:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,447 Likes on 2,084 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Pennetta
I’ve seen that in many owners manuals I think to ward off customers claiming they want an engine rebuild due to oil consumption.
I drive an E53 and I’ve never had to put oil in even between oil changes.
Yes that is precisely it, my MBs never required adding oil in between oil changes ever. This is similar to why cars have fake-ish coolant gauges now, because if the temperatures kept on changing while it drives (in reality) people will complain there is something wrong with the car, so instead, MB keeps it displaying at the same temperature once warmed up until the coolant temperature is way too high.

Edit: In better words, the coolant gauges are doctored.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; Today at 09:06 AM.
Old Today, 09:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2024 E450 Sedan: 2019 E450 Coupe
I have a 2019 E450 coupe, and have never had to add any oil. I also had a 2018 E400 sedan and never had to add any oil to it either.
Old Today, 09:16 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
SL63
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Yes that is precisely it, my MBs never required adding oil in between oil changes ever. This is similar to why cars have fake-ish coolant gauges now, because if the temperatures kept on changing while it drives (in reality) people will complain there is something wrong with the car, so instead, MB keeps it displaying at the same temperature once warmed up until the coolant temperature is way too high.

Edit: In better words, the coolant gauges are doctored.
Reading in between the lines of your reply, are you correlating engine temperature fluctuations oil level variations? Possibly a head gasket leak, or some such similar issue?
I drove a Toyota back in the day, and I began to notice, over a period of time, the coolant temperature rising. It turned out to be a very accurate indicator of coolant level from a slow leak. When my engine started running regularly just below the max temperature mark, I checked the coolant level and found it was about half empty.
Old Today, 10:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,447 Likes on 2,084 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by MB2timer
Reading in between the lines of your reply, are you correlating engine temperature fluctuations oil level variations? Possibly a head gasket leak, or some such similar issue?
I drove a Toyota back in the day, and I began to notice, over a period of time, the coolant temperature rising. It turned out to be a very accurate indicator of coolant level from a slow leak. When my engine started running regularly just below the max temperature mark, I checked the coolant level and found it was about half empty.
no, no. I am specifically stating coolant, coolant aways fluctuate temperatures in normal conditions that is how it works, MB just keeps it displaying the same temperature despite the fluctuation, more on it here : )
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...inda-liar.html