Sponsored by:

Knocking noise-warm/hot start c450 amg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450
Knocking noise-warm/hot start c450 amg

lately have been getting this thud/knocking sound after starting the car after sitting 30 minutes to 2 hours. it lasts not even 3 seconds and then everything smoothes out. Hopefully nothing serious as car drives good.
mileage: 113,500KM
oil: Pennzoil euro platinum 5w40 (been about 3500km).

Please check video link below:

https://youtube.com/shorts/suXr9lMDi58?si=IndWO1tFyKC8ExzT
Old Today, 09:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,453 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Manny_c450
lately have been getting this thud/knocking sound after starting the car after sitting 30 minutes to 2 hours. it lasts not even 3 seconds and then everything smoothes out. Hopefully nothing serious as car drives good.
mileage: 113,500KM
oil: Pennzoil euro platinum 5w40 (been about 3500km).

Please check video link below:

https://youtube.com/shorts/suXr9lMDi...dWO1tFyKC8ExzT
Sounds like oil pressure building up, doesn't sound like the infamous camshaft adjuster rattle but I could be wrong. If you got the latest ECU and TCU updates, you never would had heard this anyways because the latest updates forces a "cold" start as long as the car is turned off for more than every 15-20 minutes.
Old Today, 09:20 AM

C450
Yeah, so far knock on wood I don't hear a camshaft adjuster rattle. Tensioners were replaced around 75000 KM from the dealership along with check valves .

I read that this knocking sound could be bearings that have too much clearance or something but the fact that the sound smoothes out it may just be oil pressure and nothing to worry about hopefully.
Old Today, 10:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, so far knock on wood I don't hear a camshaft adjuster rattle. Tensioners were replaced around 75000 KM from the dealership along with check valves .

I read that this knocking sound could be bearings that have too much clearance or something but the fact that the sound smoothes out it may just be oil pressure and nothing to worry about hopefully.
Did you fill the oil to the middle of both min and max mark or you filled it closer to the max mark? The oil was checked after reaching operating temperature, at a level surface and turned off for around 5 minutes, correct? First check is dry so wipe and then insert then pull out again, level is correct?
Old Today, 10:28 AM

C450
Ran the car until it got to about 80C and checked right away, I think in the WIS that is how you can check as well. But yeah it was in between minimum and Max.

I will also try to check if once it is at operating temp and then wait the 5 mins. I have done it that way as well in the past and was pretty much just under Max.

When I changed with Pennzoil recently it did take about 8qt (7.75L) of oil with new filter. Maybe somehow I am overfilled? But no smoke or shaking, or foamy oil on the diptick...
Old Today, 10:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Ran the car until it got to about 80C and checked right away, I think in the WIS that is how you can check as well. But yeah it was in between minimum and Max.

I will also try to check if once it is at operating temp and then wait the 5 mins. I have done it that way as well in the past and was pretty much just under Max.

When I changed with Pennzoil recently it did take about 8qt (7.75L) of oil with new filter. Maybe somehow I am overfilled? But no smoke or shaking, or foamy oil on the diptick...
Correct, that is what WIS tells us.

Sounds good, looks like you are on the right track.
​​​​​I doubt you overfilled.