C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My first Mercedes W204 C350 - BIG PROBLEMS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W204 C350 Sport
My first Mercedes W204 C350 - BIG PROBLEMS?

I have purchased a Mercedes W204 C350 Sport, but not without its problems. As I'm currently studying to become a Mechanic at a garage here in Liverpool. I really enjoy working on cars, and have since a child so I thought it was only natural to train to become a mechanic, even if I am bit late starting mechanic apprenticeship at 27, now 29. Anyway, this is my first post on a forum and I just know I will get some quality advice from here. So...

My first question starts with, the car's Turbo Boost Pressure Actuator is brand new but not working. As in it doesn't go up or down when I start the car or rev it. In fact, when I got the car home I realised the guy had stuck a piece of metal under the actuator to keep it stuck open. The second I removed the metal and the boost pressure actuator dropped slightly, the car wouldn't even start and it was chugging, with lots of white thick smoke coming from the turbo (The turbo has play backwards and forwards, about a 1cm.) I've now had to remover the circlip off of the turbo actuator and force it open so that I can physically start the car. So my question is, what could be causing the Actuator to not work at all. I've checked the fuse box in the engine bay, every fuse looks okay and isn't blown but haven't tested with a multimeter as of yet. So what do you think could be causing it too not work (Its a brand new unit - not a genuine part) from eBay.

My second question is, how much play in the turbo is too much? Is 1cm forwards and backwards causing the turbo to suck oil through it and cause the black smoke?

My third question is, if this turbos has been like this for a while. How much damage could the oil being sucked through cause? Is there a chance I could save it. I mean when the engines running it sounds sweet. No nocking or ticking.

My fourth question is, I think the oil cooler is leaking, so I'm planning a full teardown of the top of the engine and I'm really wanting to do the swirl flaps and replace the motor also whilst I'm in there. Is that a good idea?

If anyone can help me out that would be much appreciated, Ill attach a link to YouTube so you can see the condition of the car and see what its running like. Thanks

Youtube link:

Photo 1: Unsure of the brand of the exhaust yet.

Photo 2: Nice dent in the bonnet, loose Mercedes badge and loose front grill. Lol

Photo 3: Nice damage, plan on painting front/rear bumper and spoiler.

Photo 4: Mum said she won't be driving it, ha

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you can help me. Thank you in advance, Daniel

Last edited by Dannycannon44; Today at 05:41 PM.
Old Today, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 272 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
Very nice, i like the front bumper. It looks lowered in the rear. Exhaust tips look a bit dirty. I dont have a turbo so im no help, wouldnt know where to begin. My grill felt loose when i got mine, the fastener was missing on the top that goes to the radiator bracket.