C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

SRS ESP Speedtronic and Airbag codes +

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C2804Matic
SRS ESP Speedtronic and Airbag codes +

2006 C280 4matic. Washer pump was not working, replaced combination switch and now the washer works fine. However, now the SRS light is on. In addition, the dash is indicating the following warnings, SRS malfunction and ESP unavailable. Lastly, when I tested the cruise control I get the message that there is an issue with the Speedtronic and visit a workshop. Before I changed the combination switch, I never had any issues with the SRS, ESP or cruise control. For the record, my airbag was serviced by the dealership when that big recall happened. My research on the matter leans towards a bad clockspring but was gentle with the clockspring upon removal and locked in place with that red thingy that comes with the switch (Febi Bilstein). The turn signals, all wiper modes and of course the washer works. All the buttons on the steering wheel work and the horn. All the modes of the telescopic wheel switch work as well, forward, back, raise and lower. I tried to reset the codes with the key method ( on/off X 5) and turning the wheel all the way to the right/left several times. In the end, I bought an HT500 (Innova) bluetooth scanner at Walmart . I can erase the codes successfully but the app quickly rescans and the codes immediately come back. Please find a list of the codes in the attached picture. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. I also checked all the fuses and all relays that are associated with the SRS. ESP, CAM and SAM but found no issues.

Here are the codes
Old 07-23-2024, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 201 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Check the pins for damage. Talking about the long 6(?) pin connector attached to the steering wheel sensor. Also have an indie clear the SRS code and see if it fixes the problem.

Are the airbags reattached properly?

Unfortunately sometimes electronics do get damaged (careless handling, static electricity etc.) during repairs as well. Hopefully that isn't the case. Worst case, you may have to buy a steering angle sensor from a wrecker or online. Be sure to match the PN, or at least get the latest compatible PN from your dealer.

Last edited by slammer111; 07-23-2024 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-23-2024, 02:19 PM

C2804Matic
Thanks, I appreciate the response and shared knowledge. I did check those steering wheel sensor pins for damage and debris. While investigating the issue, I checked all male pins and female sockets associated with things in the steering column, then sprayed them with 91% alcohol. In my original post, to keep things short, I did not mention that I also installed a new clockspring/steering sensor, it was used but tested, certified working, matching part numbers from a local major junkyard. The reason for buying it was I could not think of any other reason for the lights but installing it changed nothing. Why can't the scanner I bought CLEAR the codes? The product claims to do so for SRS, ESP, ect. It is a Walmart HyperTough product but made by Innova. Innova does offer customer support but I can never get through due to "volume of calls".
Old 07-23-2024, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 201 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
SRS codes cannot be cleared by generic readers. Not sure which model you have, but personally I had to visit an indie with a professional grade Snap-on reader. SRS codes also do not just go away by themselves. Not including malfunctions, the way to prevent them is to avoid inserting the ignition key anytime any airbag component is disconnected. My understanding is that this is for safety reasons.

Not sure about the ESP codes, but hopefully they can clear that too. If they can't, you may have a defective steering angle sensor.

Last edited by slammer111; 07-23-2024 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:34 AM

C2804Matic
Smile

Thanks for the insight. Looks like I had too much confidence in the $49 Walmart HT500 scanner to solve all my problems. I'll bring it to a mechanic with a proper OBD tool.