Steering column position

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes AMG C63s
Steering column position

Hey all,
I'm both new here and to owning a Mercedes. Coming from a heavily modified Leon Cupra, I got myself a silver 2017 C63s estate (pre-OPF). I've been resolving some issues (old tires, oil, broken buttons in the interior, squeaking roof, service warnings and now I'll be sending the differential for servicing, as it's stupidly loud and the constant hum is killing me).
However there's one thing I'd need your help with. I'm a pretty tall dude at 6'5" and the steering wheel seemingly doesn't go as high as it could and there's still a gap between the steering column and instrument cluster, as you can see on the second photo. My POV in 3rd picture shows you I can't really see the top part of the display and also leg clearance isn't perfect.
Is this normal range for the steering wheel column?

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,851 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, that looks normal. I have a FL coupe, so different steering wheel, but the column should be the same and I have easy entry/exit enabled, so the steering wheel moves all the way up to make room to get out and it's about at the same position as your photo shows. I just went to check. The coupe does have a higher shoulder line and the seating position is lower than in the sedan/wagon, though.

Last edited by superswiss; Yesterday at 01:19 PM.
Old Today, 02:01 AM

Mercedes AMG C63s
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, that looks normal. I have a FL coupe, so different steering wheel, but the column should be the same and I have easy entry/exit enabled, so the steering wheel moves all the way up to make room to get out and it's about at the same position as your photo shows. I just went to check. The coupe does have a higher shoulder line and the seating position is lower than in the sedan/wagon, though.
Hey, thanks for the confirmation, although I kinda hoped there was a way to get the steering higher, haha. I'll have to live with the car as is then, without ever knowing if my turn signals are truly on, parking sensors picking up obstacles or knowing which driving mode I'm in. Pain.
Old Today, 10:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,539 Likes on 2,159 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Chc1pak
Hey, thanks for the confirmation, although I kinda hoped there was a way to get the steering higher, haha. I'll have to live with the car as is then, without ever knowing if my turn signals are truly on, parking sensors picking up obstacles or knowing which driving mode I'm in. Pain.
Hmmm, I wonder if it will help if you lower the seats?
Old Today, 10:54 AM

Mercedes AMG C63s
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm, I wonder if it will help if you lower the seats?
I do have my seat all the way down of course. It's just bad ergonomy practice from Mercedes. Which is surprising considering there was overall more space in the cabin in the small hatchback I had before, haha.
Old Today, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,539 Likes on 2,159 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Chc1pak
I do have my seat all the way down of course. It's just bad ergonomy practice from Mercedes. Which is surprising considering there was overall more space in the cabin in the small hatchback I had before, haha.
Hmmm, I see. Another thing to try is tilting the seats backwards.
Old Today, 11:04 AM

Mercedes AMG C63s
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm, I see. Another thing to try is tilting the seats backwards.
I did do that of course, but you can only tilt the seat so much before losing a somewhat ideal driving position (both for performance and safety). And I hate being laid back in the seat when driving, I prefer to be more upright. Plus the steering column doesn't extend very far generally either.
Like I can drive the car sorta fine, I just know it could have been better had Mercedes allowed more steering column adjustment range.