M-Class (W164) Produced 2006-2011: ML280CDI, ML320CDI, ML420CDI, ML350, ML500, ML550

ISM Confusion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 ML350 (M272) 30-509034 & 2008 ML320 CDI
ISM Confusion

Back in January, or there abouts, I backed into my driveway and put the ML350 in park and then it sat for a few days.
My battery was showing wear and if it sat for a week it would be dead.
4 days later I went out to take a trip to the store and my battery was dead so I boosted it and went to throw it into D to head out when I got the dreaded "do not shift gears head to shop" message.
I had had this before when my aux battery was low and swapping it out (twice) fixed the issue.
I went & bought a new AGM battery & AUX battery (to be safe) but nothing changed...tried doing a remove and re-add to see if that would correct it but nope.
A friend came by and scanned it with his STAR and it seemed to show the ISM as the issue as it would read the shifter going from P, R, D, & N.

So today I crawled under (finally) and removed the ISM (I didn't even need to remove the drive shaft or bracing whew) and when I got the ISM out into my hands I noticed the ISM is in the P position and thus the transmission should be as well.
Just to note: when I would put the key in the ignition before starting it I could hear the ISM whirring and could as well when shutting off the car so info is being sent to it and it's motors are doing something.
Issue is, why does the car think it is NOT in P but rather in gear?If I open my door while running it tells "vehicle not in park" but the dash shows P.

Could it be the shifter then or has the ISM had a gear/belt failure internally and is not able to read it's in P?

Cheers for any knowledge.

This was the code I got after it initially happened:

ISM-Intelligent
servo module

Fault[2] Code number:1904

Describe:The internal mechanism in
component A80 (Intelligent servo module for
DIRECT SELECT) for engaging selector lever
position P is not in the correct position.
Code number:1974
Describe:Selector lever position "P" was
engaged due to a fault occurring in
component A80 (Intelligent servo module for
DIRECT SELECT) or in the vehicle
communications.

Last edited by Bobenis; Yesterday at 08:22 PM.
Old Today, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 ML350 (M272) 30-509034 & 2008 ML320 CDI
No ideas?