SL/R129: R129 softtop open/close issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Mercedes-Benz SL320 R129
R129 softtop open/close issues

Hi all,

I know that pretty much everything has been written about issues regarding soft top not opening / closing properly but let me just explain my specific case and the result of a first check from my side.

I just got this R129 in a sorry state, wanting to save her. When I hit the red button to open the top, the windows are going down as expected, but once they are fully down, the button starts flashing and the top won't move.
Furthermore, the roll bar up-and-down button won't move the roll-bar, only a sound relay tick is heard when I tap it, either opening or closing. Same thing happens with the softtop button IF the car has engine off - loud tick on opening or closing but nothing moves. Instead, if the engine is ON, softtop button would trigger the windows downward movement and then stop there, flashing.

I already checked the fuses in the trunk and in the engine bay. Checked the fluid level in the hydraulic pump, it's OK. What can I check further from the electrical part? I would like to test the roof ECU but still have to investigate that part.

Furthermore, I am pretty sure one or more cylinders are shot but in that case che movement should be triggered at least, with the car then unable to complete che process or so, but I would hardly think it won't move at all.
Chances are the car has been left standing quite some time.

Thank you in advance for all your precious insights!
Regards
The following users liked this post:
PeteBee (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts
1997 MB SL600
Have you tried cycling the top manually?

Do you have a MB dealership nearby that can scan the top controller?

Do you have any persistent trouble lights after the engine starts?

When my top cylinders started leaking (catastrophically in the end), the top still operated and most importantly, so did the roll bar. Do you hear the top pump trying to work?
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Mercedes-Benz SL320 R129
Hi, thank you for your reply!

What do you mean by cycling the top manually? I just manually removed the hardtop and then closed/opened the softtop manually because any other automatic operation was out of order.

Regarding the Mercedes dealer, there's something closer to the city.

No lights on the dash are on

When I operate either the roll bar button, or the red roof button, a sound ticking (like a relay) is heard, but nothing else. I can't tell if the pump is getting power - will have to check that.

Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts
1997 MB SL600
Sounds like it's time to have someone scan the controller.