EV Charging (fast / Mid / Slo)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 11:44 AM
z32

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
23 EQE SUV / 01 MB E240 / 10 Infiniti EX / 15 Lexus LX 570
EV Charging (fast / Mid / Slo)

Was told if you fast charge everytime, it'll prematurly degrade the battery fast.. hence the slower you charge the longer the battery lasts. Do you guys alternate charging speed? Or 70% fast 30% slow?
Old Today, 01:08 PM

Received 233 Likes on 162 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Charge whatever makes the most sense for you. Proper cooling on the MB cars significantly reduces some of the damage typically caused by DC fast charging. That being said, some degradation will still occur - just not as much as people may have feared, and it may be statistically insignificant. My rule is, if I'm road tripping, or if I did a bunch of driving and need to quickly turn around and drive a bunch more, I'll DCFC. Otherwise, always AC charge. If you've got the time and the charger, just use it. Honestly, the few seconds it takes to plug in a car before going to bed or after coming home is far more convenient than hunting down a DCFC, even though we have one 3 minutes away from our house. Better for the car, better for you.
Old Today, 01:11 PM

Received 233 Likes on 162 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
I'll add on to this. NCM batteries, like the ones in MB EQ cars to date, prefer lower states of charge and smaller charge cycles. In the summer, when we have higher heat, I'll set charge limit to 70%, and then charge every time I get home. That might mean charging back 3% or 30%, depending on how much I used that day. I've never run anywhere close to low with a 70% charge limit even commuting back and forth several times and adding errands. Road trips are of course, a different story, and I'll bring it up to 90% or even 100% right before we start the first leg.

In the winter, where efficiency is lower, I'll set charge limits to 80%. Again, charge every time you get home, or at least every night. Range anxiety magically disappears completely.
The following users liked this post:
Bluffton Bob (Today)