S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2001 s600 timing question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 s600 timing question

I went in to do my oil cooler and took note of the timing before taking it all apart. I've read that the crank has to be at 30⁰ along with the cams being at the point marks up top. Before I went into this the car ran great. I took a before video for reference and it has it as 5ish degrees with the 2 points lined up. Should I just put it back to that or change it to the 30⁰? I'm leaning more towards putting everything how it was, but everything says 30⁰.
Old Today, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E320
It’s possible that when you disassembled the oil cooler, the tension on the timing belt or chain was altered, causing the crank to sit at an unexpected 5 degrees instead of the specified 30 degrees. Another factor might be slight misalignments of the camshaft or crankshaft marks during reassembly, which can lead to suboptimal engine performance or even knocking if not corrected. Ensuring that all timing marks are precisely aligned according to the manufacturer’s guidelines is crucial for the engine to run smoothly.

Old Today, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimyj
It’s possible that when you disassembled the oil cooler, the tension on the timing belt or chain was altered, causing the crank to sit at an unexpected 5 degrees instead of the specified 30 degrees. Another factor might be slight misalignments of the camshaft or crankshaft marks during reassembly, which can lead to suboptimal engine performance or even knocking if not corrected. Ensuring that all timing marks are precisely aligned according to the manufacturer’s guidelines is crucial for the engine to run smoothly.
Like I said originally I took note and even recorded the timing marks before dissasembly of any timing and camshaft internals, even before tension was lost i took note
Old Today, 07:03 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
2009 E350 4M Avantgarde;mistress 2002 S600; wife 2014 C300 4M
did you use the required camshaft holders to keep the cams in place when the engine was at 30 degrees?
loosening the camshaft sprockets should only be done that way.
if not reassembly will be difficult.

I suggest you search under my nick on this and the other forum
good luck!