S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

Rear ABC Line left the chat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Offshore Research Vessel, 2016 Camry, Telluride, 2005 S55 AMG
Rear ABC Line left the chat

It has been quite some time since being on the forum, and have missed being here. Life gets in the way sometimes... Kids, sold house, moved, constantly at sea etc.

I have owned my 05 s55 for over 3 years (going on 4 now I believe) and have not even broke the 60k mile mark. The car is always in the garage and is very seldom driven, which in lies part of the problem. She is not driven enough! I came back from sea and decided to take the car out. Upon starting and raising the car, my rear ABC line from the valve block to the drivers rear strut blew (marked with yellow). Thankfully in the garage! Fluid everywhere, but shut the car off well before pump ran dry.

My question's are... What is the easiest way to remove the line as it goes above the rear subframe? I have read some have snaked the line out and others have dropped the rear subframe. Why did the engineers decide to take the line from the drivers side and run it over to the passenger side, just to go into the drivers rear strut? I am sure there is some reason, but why not have a line straight to the rear strut? What would be the harm in having a custom made line go directly to the strut......

Chris
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts
'06 MB S55 AMG; '04 Audi Allroad 4.2; '05 BMW M3 Conv.; '92 MB 500E
@johnlane… calling johnlane…

maw
Old Today, 09:03 AM

Received 386 Likes on 267 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by CaptainR
It has been quite some time since being on the forum, and have missed being here. Life gets in the way sometimes... Kids, sold house, moved, constantly at sea etc.

I have owned my 05 s55 for over 3 years (going on 4 now I believe) and have not even broke the 60k mile mark. The car is always in the garage and is very seldom driven, which in lies part of the problem. She is not driven enough! I came back from sea and decided to take the car out. Upon starting and raising the car, my rear ABC line from the valve block to the drivers rear strut blew (marked with yellow). Thankfully in the garage! Fluid everywhere, but shut the car off well before pump ran dry.

My question's are... What is the easiest way to remove the line as it goes above the rear subframe? I have read some have snaked the line out and others have dropped the rear subframe. Why did the engineers decide to take the line from the drivers side and run it over to the passenger side, just to go into the drivers rear strut? I am sure there is some reason, but why not have a line straight to the rear strut? What would be the harm in having a custom made line go directly to the strut......

Chris
It seems plenty of people have done custom lines. As long as the pressure is there, I can not imagine a different routing matters. Ive seen this done with hydraulics, and ac lines that snake through rear subframes. The hard part on abc retrofit has been the fittings and having to reuse old connectors. When I recently replaced my front shocks on my S 55, they were the Chinese special, and I actually came with extra hoses for the shock. I would have to imagine that the fittings for the feed lines are available overseas as well though I’ve not personally had to do that research yet.
Old Today, 09:38 AM

I appreciate the response Baltistyle. I have a hydraulic shop close to me and will most likely have a custom line done as well as see if they can repair the original line. I will see what they can do.

Many Thanks,

Chris
Old Today, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd probably run it the same way... I can't remember off hand how the rear lines interact with the return accumulator, which is why I was calling JohnLane.

maw
Old Today, 10:17 AM

I appreciate the input Maw. I will most likely go the standard route in replacement as I want to keep the system original. Just was not sure if having the lines ran different (more direct) would make life easier in the long run. No rush on my end as I'm heading back to sea for a short period.

Chris
Old Today, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I understand Cap'n... if a new route bypassed some damper I would expect trouble... vibration or worse... but I haven't looked at a schematic.

God's speed at sea.

maw