E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Strange idle after stage 1 tune and adblue delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2024 | 10:59 AM

E350 Cdi
Question Strange idle after stage 1 tune and adblue delete

So today I got stage 1 tune and adblue removal to my e350 cdi bluetec and it has now a strange high idle constantly. When I start the car it starts to 500-600rpm and when I press gas it increases rpm to 800-900 and stays there until I shut the car off.
Does anyone have any ideas what causes this or is this normal?
I have had this car for a year now and I have noticed this rpm increase sometimes (dpf regen??) but not this consistently.

Thanks up front.
Old 09-20-2024 | 11:32 AM

E320
When you modify the ECU with a stage 1 tune, it can sometimes adjust the idle parameters in a way that doesn't perfectly align with your vehicle's original setup, leading to a higher idle. Additionally, removing AdBlue can affect the emissions system sensors and potentially create vacuum leaks, both of which can disrupt the idle stability. Sometimes, these modifications can also interfere with the engine's feedback systems, causing the ECU to maintain a higher RPM than usual to compensate for perceived issues. I’d recommend running a full system scan to pinpoint any fault codes that might be present in one or more control modules related to this issue. There should be fault codes on at least one or more control modules. If you have access to a full system scanner like Xentry, that’s great, but I personally find youcanic full system scanner easier and quicker for diagnostics. Running an in-depth all-system scan can help you identify the exact cause and get your idle back to normal. Good luck, and may your idle stay steady!
The following 2 users liked this post by jimyj:
JettaRed (09-27-2024), pierrejoliat (09-27-2024)
Old 09-20-2024 | 11:57 AM

E350 Cdi
Originally Posted by jimyj
When you modify the ECU with a stage 1 tune, it can sometimes adjust the idle parameters in a way that doesn't perfectly align with your vehicle's original setup, leading to a higher idle. Additionally, removing AdBlue can affect the emissions system sensors and potentially create vacuum leaks, both of which can disrupt the idle stability. Sometimes, these modifications can also interfere with the engine's feedback systems, causing the ECU to maintain a higher RPM than usual to compensate for perceived issues. I’d recommend running a full system scan to pinpoint any fault codes that might be present in one or more control modules related to this issue. There should be fault codes on at least one or more control modules. If you have access to a full system scanner like Xentry, that’s great, but I personally find youcanic full system scanner easier and quicker for diagnostics. Running an in-depth all-system scan can help you identify the exact cause and get your idle back to normal. Good luck, and may your idle stay steady!
So there is not everything right and I should lose
my good night sleep over this.
You don't assume a constant dpf regen here caused from the tune? The rpm is stable on 800 when driving and on warm start but when cold start it starts from 580 which is the default.
I'm gonna do the full scan it was a good idea but if there doesn't appear any codes I am out of ideas. Maybe good idea would be to contact different tuner and ask for if they can check on it.
Old 09-27-2024 | 09:42 AM

E350 Cdi
Originally Posted by jimyj
There was none fault codes when I checked. My tuner did try removing both softwares and turn it back to default but still have the idle problem going on.
Old 09-27-2024 | 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
How was the tune applied? At a shop or did you upload it at home using a dongle? You say "both softwares", what do you mean? Was the adblue disabled through software or were there physical devices removed? I am not a diesel guy, so that's why I am asking.

Last edited by JettaRed; 09-29-2024 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2024 | 10:10 AM

E350 Cdi
Originally Posted by JettaRed
How was the tune applied? At a shop or did you upload it at home using a dongle? You say "both softwares", what do you mean? Was the bluetec disabled through software or were there physical devices removed? I am not a diesel guy, so that's why I am asking.
At shop he did it for me. Adblue was removed by software yes and wires disconnected from adblue ecu.
Old 09-27-2024 | 10:11 AM

E350 Cdi
And the thing that car runs like a dream otherwise, just idle is not right.
Old 09-27-2024 | 11:16 PM
Veteran: Navy

2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
So what year is it, did the mechanic remove the dpf and scr and basically straight pipe the exhaust when they did the tune? You cant just tune it and unplug a few things and have it work correctly
Old 09-28-2024 | 04:41 AM

E350 Cdi
Originally Posted by Quint22
So what year is it, did the mechanic remove the dpf and scr and basically straight pipe the exhaust when they did the tune? You cant just tune it and unplug a few things and have it work correctly
2010, he did only remove adblue by making new software for it and unplugging adblue ecu. Dpf is still working and it is checked.
Old 09-28-2024 | 01:58 PM

W213 All-terrain
There are a lot of adaption that your tuner he should have done them with a decent diagnose system, like Air Mass, Lambda, Throttle, Swirl, Air Filer, if the battery is not old or defective ( car starts even if battery has missing elements).
Old 09-28-2024 | 03:09 PM

E350 Cdi
Originally Posted by trigital
There are a lot of adaption that your tuner he should have done them with a decent diagnose system, like Air Mass, Lambda, Throttle, Swirl, Air Filer, if the battery is not old or defective ( car starts even if battery has missing elements).
could a old battery cause this issue? Im pretty sure its original battery
The following users liked this post:
trigital (09-28-2024)
Old 09-28-2024 | 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Osbaa
2010, he did only remove adblue by making new software for it and unplugging adblue ecu. Dpf is still working and it is checked.
Just so I am clear. when you say adblue you mean SCR and the DEF system? Adblue is just there marketing nomenclature so I want to be sure what exactly ya are saying. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2024 | 08:18 AM

E350 Cdi
Just so I am clear. when you say adblue you mean SCR and the DEF system? Adblue is just there marketing nomenclature so I want to be sure what exactly ya are saying. Thanks.
SCR yes
Old 09-29-2024 | 08:38 AM

W213 All-terrain
What's your meaning of DEF? DPF?
Old 09-29-2024 | 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by trigital
What's your meaning of DEF? DPF?
They are pretty self expandatory. I wanted to be sure that the OP was talking about the SCR/DPF vs some other part of the emissions system. Depending on what they programmed out can have alot of different results.
Old 09-30-2024 | 02:40 AM

W213 All-terrain
They are pretty self expandatory. I wanted to be sure that the OP was talking about the SCR/DPF vs some other part of the emissions system. Depending on what they programmed out can have alot of different results.
At any MB the SCR system is physically installed after the DPF system and the OP already stated that the DPF is still in place and regeneration happens without any faults.