S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Ride height level + uneven tire wear on rear passenger side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
2014 GL450, 2006 S500, 2003 ML350, 1996 C280 (Prev 1995 C220, 2002 CLK320, 1980 300SD Turbo)
Ride height level + uneven tire wear on rear passenger side

I took a level reading in DAS and it said the front are both 11mm and the rear is 5mm. The reference data says that 5mm in the rear is for "lowered" vehicles - and mine is definitely not (intentionally) lowered.

I changed the rear struts in July 2019 - I don't notice any of the issues of failure (bowling ball in the trunk sound, hissing, etc) - but there is noticeable wear on the outer edge of one side's tires, like what you would see if there were was toe-out alignment problem.

From what I see, and I'll look closer, but it doesn't appear like camber wear that would result from a failed or sagging strut. And from what I understand there is no toe setting in the rear.

I'm going to get in all the suspension parts but curious if these two data points together ring any bells for any users.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
Typically if your car is lower then normal , it is the inside rear tire wear that’s the problem nearest to the differential
Old Today, 12:42 AM
SPONSOR

Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
“UNEVEN TIRE WEAR ON REAR PASSENGER SIDE”

Today's models because of ever increasing speed of new car assembly lines Front Camber and Caster along with Rear Camber has been deleted (new car industry’s best kept secret).

Now the often quoted reassuring “Full Front and Rear ‘4’ Wheel Alignment” - is only basic TOE “directional” adjustment !

CAMBER AND CASTER NOW ONLY ONE SETTING - TO SUIT SHOWROOM HEIGHT CONDITIONS.

NO LONGER ABLE TO ADJUST TIRE CONTACT ANGLES TO SPREAD LOAD MORE EVENLY TO RESOLVE COSTLY, PREMATURE EDGE WEAR.

Result of high cambered roads with excess passenger side edge wear. Altered height / wheel squat through extra passenger loads or lowering vehicle height. Fitting wide profile tires. No longer ongoing adjustment to cater for curb knock damage.

WE SAW THE NEED THEREFORE TO MANUFACTURE BOTH FRONT AND REAR KITS TO RE INSTATE FULL ADJUSTMENT !

BOLT-ON - NO SPECIAL TOOLS OR NEED FOR TIME CONSUMING ARM REMOVAL TO INSTALL.

SEE SPOILER

Spoiler

AUDI to VOLVO - K-MAC Experience Resolving OEM Suspension Shortcomings (and Costs) Since 1964 !