GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

"Don't Forget Your Key"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2024 | 08:06 PM

Question "Don't Forget Your Key"

Hi - I just picked up my 2024 GLC 300 and the dealer lost a key fob, so I had to bring it to get a replacement fob and get it programmed.

I had the car for about 2 weeks before and.... I think there are some things different, but I'm not sure since I was still getting used to the car.

When I get out of the car (and also when I get in), I get a notification on the instrument display saying "Don't forget your key". I mentioned this to my service tech and they said it's normal. I don't remember seeing this before, but now I'm not sure if I'm right.

Can anyone confirm that is normal behavior?

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2024 | 08:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by rob10k8
Hi - I just picked up my 2024 GLC 300 and the dealer lost a key fob, so I had to bring it to get a replacement fob and get it programmed.

I had the car for about 2 weeks before and.... I think there are some things different, but I'm not sure since I was still getting used to the car.

When I get out of the car (and also when I get in), I get a notification on the instrument display saying "Don't forget your key". I mentioned this to my service tech and they said it's normal. I don't remember seeing this before, but now I'm not sure if I'm right.

Can anyone confirm that is normal behavior?

Thanks.
normal, pretty much all MB has this but only in North America.
Old 09-26-2024 | 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I don't know why US spec cars have this warning, but as said it is normal. There must be a history of people locking their key fobs in the car and raising a stink. Under most normal circumstances it should not let you lock if the key fob is inside, but there are edge cases that could result in a locked in key. The other issue is that you can technically drive away if the engine is running even if the key is not inside of the car. This has happened to some people. Although, there's a second warning that comes up for this if it can't detect the key fob anymore while the engine is running, but if you are already on your way that means turning around and finding your key.
Old 09-27-2024 | 09:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by superswiss
I don't know why US spec cars have this warning, but as said it is normal. There must be a history of people locking their key fobs in the car and raising a stink. Under most normal circumstances it should not let you lock if the key fob is inside, but there are edge cases that could result in a locked in key. The other issue is that you can technically drive away if the engine is running even if the key is not inside of the car. This has happened to some people. Although, there's a second warning that comes up for this if it can't detect the key fob anymore while the engine is running, but if you are already on your way that means turning around and finding your key.
That could be it but why don't people just leave their smart key in their pocket? Is it because of the bulk?
Old 09-27-2024 | 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
That could be it but why don't people just leave their smart key in their pocket? Is it because of the bulk?
Probably so. For those who still carry a keyring with a bunch of other keys, it can get bulky. Used to have to take my keyring out of my pocket when sitting down. Now that all my other keys are digital keys on my phone, the fob by itself doesn't bother me at all.
Old 09-27-2024 | 12:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by superswiss
Probably so. For those who still carry a keyring with a bunch of other keys, it can get bulky. Used to have to take my keyring out of my pocket when sitting down. Now that all my other keys are digital keys on my phone, the fob by itself doesn't bother me at all.
Kind of like how some competitors do it like with physical digital key card (ie. BMW) but then you have to take that out of your pocket, MB catching up with the digital key on the W214 as you already know but then the message will become don't forget your phone. Although newer cars kind of already have that, when they detect a bluetooth device connected.