CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

CL600 2000 model Crankshaft position SENSOR location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2024 | 02:41 AM

Merc CL-600, JAGUAR STYPE, HONDA SHADOW, Can-Am Spyder , few of VINTAGE VESPA models
CL600 2000 model Crankshaft position SENSOR location

I'm going crazy about the location of the Crankshaft position sensor on my car. ( CL600 v12 2000 models)
I read so much about it, but still I can not find it from up, from down, from every angle, and im going insane
Could someone please shed some light on this with an arrow? I posted the picture, so please direct me with the arrow.

thank you very much

I'd checked everywhere(the back of the engine, etc.) but could not see the CPS; please shed some light on Heaven. It has been two days of searching, and I gave up with frustration.

Old 09-28-2024 | 07:08 PM

Merc CL-600, JAGUAR STYPE, HONDA SHADOW, Can-Am Spyder , few of VINTAGE VESPA models
It has been two days already, and I still can not locate the location of CPS on this car.
Please help someone out there.
Thank you
Old 09-29-2024 | 07:29 AM

CL600 215 M137

The sensor at the back of the engine. It's hard to see because it's under the throttle and between the oil drain hoses and other..
The following users liked this post:
willienguyen (09-30-2024)
Old 09-29-2024 | 07:34 AM

CL600 215 M137

You will find it approximately where the white "dot" is.
Old 09-29-2024 | 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
The photos above are probably more helpful, I dont have that engine so I looked on some diagrams for the CL600. I dont know your vin or specific submodel so picked a random one. Find yours then go to M. Engine > 15. Engine electrical > 075. T.D C. Sender units. https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/1/215/

Last edited by TimC300; 09-29-2024 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2024 | 02:30 PM

CL600 215 M137
In general, the diagram that TimC300 posted shows the M275 engine, but the sensors are the same.
Let's be specific - if you're talking about the camshaft sensors, it's position 30 on the diagram - the valve covers.
If you're talking about the crankshaft (the main shaft where you screw the connecting rods and pistons..) This sensor is number 10 on the diagram and is located above where I marked.

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...asis=21537868S

Last edited by M137; 09-29-2024 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2024 | 09:14 AM

Mr M137
You are an angel to me; you shed heaps of light on this issue for me. I appreciate your concern and help. I thought I was going nowhere with this issue, and I feel hopeless every time I pass the car on the stand.
After 3-4 days of endless searching, from books to YouTube, etc., almost everywhere I could get into without hope, and it is very SAD as I'm a petrolhead,
Now, with your light (pictures), I can guess precisely where it is ( after four days of lying on top of that bloody engine trying to locate it, I saw everything but the CPS,
Today, I saw the Camshaft sensor( number 30 on diagram A0041531328) and thought it was the CPS I was looking for, but I'm still in doubt because it does not look like anything I ordered at all ( A 0031532728). Now, with your Post, I'm so clear on everything on this CPS matter.
Now, how will I access it while the engine is still intact?
After spending a few days lying on top of the machine, I think I have some ideas about its situation. Now I know where it is, but I still could not think of how to get into it ( from the top, bottom, or even side) based on its appearance because you can not see it unless something has to be seriously dismantled.
With your photo, I can see it clearly, but when the engine is on the car with everything intact, I can not see it at all. Even though I know where it is, you cannot see it now; even the cable leads to it.
Do you know the best way to get into it? What do you need to take out to be able to get in?
Please give me some instructions ( I try not to get into trouble that takes unnecessary things out and creates more problems. I do not think all the instructions from every source I knew of are suitable for this case ( because you can not see the units unless you have to take something out to see the E8 to unbolt it.
Once again, thank you very much for helping me; I appreciate your concern.
William nguyen
Sydney Australia

Old 09-30-2024 | 10:07 AM

Mr M137,
It's close to midnight here, but I could not help it. I went out to the car for a clear look and tried to locate it with your picture.
Yes, I can see it now from the top hardly, but YES, I can see it. It will be a hell of a job to get the hand in there to unclip the connection, not to mention try to unbolt the E8. It's going to be challenging.
If you have any advice to make it more bearable on the job, please send it my way. I appreciate it.
William Nguyen
Sydney Australia

Last edited by willienguyen; 09-30-2024 at 10:10 AM. Reason: wrong words
Old 09-30-2024 | 10:32 AM

TimC300
Thank you very much for your information; it was beneficial. With your help, I can clearly indicate what #30 and #10 are now.
For a moment in Desperado, I thought #30 was the CPS I sought. Thank God Mr M137's pictures shed heaven's light on me.
I know what to do now; doing which way to make my life easier is another story, but I will keep calm and keep on learning.
I hope this will not be more complicated than overhauling this car's ABC system with all that struts and accumulators sphere like I did a few weeks ago
thank again TimC300
William nguyen
Sydney Australia
Old 09-30-2024 | 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by M137

You will find it approximately where the white "dot" is.
@ M137 and @TimC300
Once again, thank you very much for your concern and help. I did manage to find the CPS and fix it. It was challenging, but thanks to God, I have tiny baby hands to get to it quickly.
The car is back to running now and in perfect condition. I know I would never have been able to locate it without you guys. Thank you. Please have a pleasant day, and God bless you.
Old 09-30-2024 | 11:21 PM

Mr M137, Mr timc300
I think you have experience with the 137 engine. What OBD scan do you use? Would you recommend one for use with this 137-engine CL600?
There are so many on the market, and it can be unclear when you don't have much money to afford a good one.
any suggestion would be appreciated
thanks
Old 10-01-2024 | 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
I have a W204 (C300 4matic sport) with the M272 engine. I do not have much experience with obd scanners. I originally had a $15 Konnwei basic reader that was able to help me solve a previous check engine light that turned out to be a faulty purge valve. It basically gave me a code and i had to research and picked the most common reason for that code, bought a purge valve and it fixed it. Then from more reading I realized I would probably benefit from having a more capable scanner geared towards Mercedes.

After alot of research I chose the Foxwell NT530 with Mercedes software. I believe the NT510, NT530 and the NT710 all run the same software. Differences are the NT530 is a little bigger than the NT510, and the NT710 is even larger and has wifi and is a touch screen. NT510 and NT530 uses buttons. So far it does seem to do much more than the basic reader, as it should. I scanned the car and it showed a bunch of stored codes the basic reader did not show. The only time I really needed it was right before going to get an inspection sticker the abs light came on, I simply read and erased the code and it stayed off so that was simple. More recently my check engine light was on after picking the car up from a shop, the scanner was able to tell me it was an O2 sensor and which one. The shop ended up installing them back in the wrong locations plus they damaged the upstream sensor. Using the scanner I noticed a few modules say not present, things like air suspension are obvious since I dont have air suspension. It shows I am able to run alot of tests on things like run the fuel pump, purge valve etc. I originally wanted a better scanner so I can see the transmission fluid temp for when I change the fluid and filter which the scanner does show. I will say one of the reasons I went with the NT530 is i found it for a very low price on Amazon (Used-like new). Figure if i didnt like it I can always return it. But when I received it I couldnt register it in my name, it really was used and someone must have already registered it. I tried returning it but Amazon claimed its non-returnable because it has a battery? That made no sense. But instead they just told me to keep it and they refunded my money. I was able to contact Foxwell thru email and they did a factory reset on there end, so I was then able to register it and it works perfectly.

I am happy with it. Do i recommend it, I havent used it enough to know exactly what it can and cannot do. Would hate to tell someone to get it only to have it not do what they want it to.

I have seen people recommend the Launch Creader and it does look like a nice scanner. I like it just for the touch screen and wifi updates. The NT530 I have to use the sd card and download updates on my computer, its pretty simple to do but wifi option would be nice. The difference seems to be the:

- Creader Elite runs Android 5.0 with 4" screen. ($129)
- Creader Elite V2.0 runs Android 8.0 with 4" screen. ($159)
- Creader X431 Elite V2.0 runs Android 8.0 with 4" touch screen. Also includes BMW, VW and Audi? ($209)
- Creader X431 Elite 2.0 runs Android 8.1 with 3.97" touch screen. Also includes BMW, VW, Audi, Mini? ($209)

I notice the Prices keep fluctuating on Amazon. The Creader Elite V2 was recently $151 now its $159 (w/$30 coupon), I like that one for the horizontal screen. If I was going to buy a scanner today I would probably get this one. For $129 the Creader Elite looks like a good option too. I have no experience with these scanner so dont take my word for it.

Last edited by TimC300; 10-01-2024 at 10:32 AM.
willienguyen (10-01-2024)
Old 10-02-2024 | 12:27 AM

Hi Mr TimC300,
Thank you very much for your well-written words on this confusing OBD scanner. Your words are precious as a backyard mechanic like me and with limited money. I still wish to have a sophisticated system like Star; Xentry likes some of the members, but not for now (I'll wait till I grow up a little more )
After searching, considering, comparing, etc., I've bought the 2024 Launch CRP129E PRO+ X431Car Diagnostic Tool EOBD2. This unit would be good enough for me. As I mentioned, backyard mechanics have limited skills, and the unit's function far exceeds my expectations of using it anyway.
By the way, so far on this CL600 V12, I have changed all the 02oxygen sensors and overhauled everything in ABC from fluid to all accumulators, all struts hoses and all Camshaft sensors, MAF, and rear mirror seals (it is wild to keep ABC instead of coil-over, but I'm a purist hihihi until I can not handle it anymore)). The latest is that big job with a Crankshaft sensor( without M137&you, I'm stuck, thank you). The car runs perfectly now; I cross my finger and touch wood( I know she is Old, and subsequent problems will arise, but Dam !!!! Driving her to town for coffee with the wife seems to be my best pleasure. I have the kick out of it with her slick, shiny shapes and the way she glides to respond to the pedal every time she asks for it, so if she gets sick sometimes, it is a bit worth it ahahaahahhaahh so don't be surprised if I'm looking for you and Mr M137 for info next time

Once again, thank you very much for your effort and Mr M137's guidance. Everything seems to be OK for now, and with the new OBD scanner coming sometime next week, I will have some more ammunition to deal with it.
william Nguyen

Spoiler

Old 10-02-2024 | 03:56 AM

CL 600 '00 5.8L V12
The only tool that will diagnose this car properly is SDS
BenzNinja (10-02-2024)