E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E350 Droning/Humming noise at certain speed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Droning/Humming noise at certain speed.

Hello,

I have bought an E350 2012 in February this year, it having 87k miles. One escalating issue I have is that there is a distinct droning noise which is most noticeable in the centre of the cabin; I had passengers sit in the front and then jump in the back for comparison. This noise first occurred only at 60mph, anything more or less and the noise was not noticeable. The noise has however escalated and I can now hear it starting at 40mph. Now, at 60mph, the noise is very apparent and I can even feel it through the floor, almost vibrating.

I have changed all tyres brand new since purchase. I have also checked wheel bearings for play, no issues there. I have also had the alloys checked for cracks or dents and replaced the rear ones; front ones are ok. I have been told that the culprit might be the centre shaft bearing, but my mechanic checked it for play/noise and didn't see any issues. I don't know what else to check to identify the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

​​​
Old Today, 09:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,806 Likes on 2,388 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by m01befc
Hello,

I have bought an E350 2012 in February this year, it having 87k miles. One escalating issue I have is that there is a distinct droning noise which is most noticeable in the centre of the cabin; I had passengers sit in the front and then jump in the back for comparison. This noise first occurred only at 60mph, anything more or less and the noise was not noticeable. The noise has however escalated and I can now hear it starting at 40mph. Now, at 60mph, the noise is very apparent and I can even feel it through the floor, almost vibrating.

I have changed all tyres brand new since purchase. I have also checked wheel bearings for play, no issues there. I have also had the alloys checked for cracks or dents and replaced the rear ones; front ones are ok. I have been told that the culprit might be the centre shaft bearing, but my mechanic checked it for play/noise and didn't see any issues. I don't know what else to check to identify the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

​​​
Could be the driveshaft hanger (mount?)
Old Today, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 405 Likes on 344 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
RWD or 4matic?

Wheels aligned and balanced? I have a neighbor who had all there wheel weights fly off shortly after having new tires installed. Shop claimed they were out of the ones they normally use as an excuse. Blame the weights, not the install.
Hows the tire wear looking, any signs of uneven wear?
Axle/CV boots inspected for rips, tears, leaking grease?
Drive shaft flex discs inspected?
Subframe inspected for rusting, perforations?
Engine/transmission mounts inspected?
Rear differential bushings inspected?
Diff fluid checked/replaced?