E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

OM 603, I dropped a piece of the intake gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2024, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350 CLK
OM 603, I dropped a piece of the intake gasket

through the open valve of cylinder 1...does the head need to come off?
While you may be inclined to say yes....it is small (1.77cm by 0.42cm, 1.5'' by 0.2'') and I tested with the remainder as a sample (it looks like a compound of rubber and fibre) it does turn to ash after some time under the blow torch.
I am thinking turning it over a couple of times by hand (so it doesn't block movement and sits flat on the piston and then just starting it and hope it leaves the engine through the normal combustion process. What's your thought on this, madness of worth the gamble?
cheers
Peter
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,056 Likes on 977 Posts
1999 E300TD
what about(is it possible) trying with a small vacuum probe to extract the material----other than that GO FOR IT
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

350 CLK
Thank you for the reply...I did indeed try to vacuum it out, including an extension to shrink tube (to clear the valve)....just not enough power or I never got close. The vacuum on the intake portion ahead of the valve also didn't do the trick. There is one more thing I haven't tried...compressed air through the precombustion chamber opening....but I start imagining how it may land the piece in an awkward place.
Cheers
Peter
Old Today, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 124 Likes on 113 Posts
190E 2.6L 1989, 190E 2.6L 1988, BMW 535dXdrive 2014, BMW 428i 2015
I assume you already hand cranked the engine a bit to bring the said piston as high as possible for easier access but without a spark plug opening I see this can be difficult. I would just like to know how did this pesky piece even get in there? I assume thru the injector port? I assume you can get into the cylinder thru the injector?
Old Today, 11:40 AM

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
C 43
This is why there are a few sets of liberated medical forceps in my tool box....
Old Today, 05:12 PM

350 CLK
You are right about the missing spark plug opening being a bummer for this operation, it would make it accessible for the snake camera and probably retrieval also. Right now, I want the intake valve as open as possible, so the piston is down. Still I can't clear it for optical inspection and the shrink tube vacuum extension does not fetch it.
What I did just now, vacuum (with filter screen) sucking on the intake port (open valve) and compressed air through the injector port. Hoping to establish a nice flow that would eventually pick it up...well, no luck either. For all I know I am about to convince myself now it never fell and just because I cannot find it elsewhere does not put it inside the cylinder, right?

And now to your question...I reused the manifold intake gasket (left it in place), needed to readjust the manifold and "pling" a small portion broke off
it's that little hook portion
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23574044380...3ABFBMhLnU8Mlk

The intake on the head is like a 45 degree plane, so when I had removed the manifold again, I could not find the hook and the intake is the most logical place, being the direct line downward. Unfortunately the valve was already open on that cylinder and I thought I had seen the bit on the side of the valve. A screwdriver with magnet did not retrieve it now there is nothing more....but at the same time because of the EGR it is/was full of gunk...what I believed to be the piece...may just as well have been gunk that I subsequently just pushed sideways from the valve.

Next steps:
Reinstall injector (35Nm, 20 ftlbs), glowplug (20Nm), replace return lines, turn over by hand two times, reconnect fuel line to injector (20Nm)
put intake gasket on, mount manifold, start and luck out ;-)
Old Today, 09:04 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,056 Likes on 977 Posts
1999 E300TD
Great mystery story that will turn out just fine!!!!