E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Radio, Door Locks, Trunk Lock stopped working all at once, alarm setting itself too

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 E430 SE
Radio, Door Locks, Trunk Lock stopped working all at once, alarm setting itself too

I know they are all related as I've looked at the fuse schematics and they are all connected to the same fuses/wiring.

My first clue was just driving down the street a couple days ago and the radio just turned off. About 10 years or so ago my radio quit like this and it was because my battery was dying so I thought it was that. But this is not the case. We had just gone to the store and loaded up on groceries when we were heading home and the radio went out. When we got home to get the groceries out, the trunk would not pop using the key fob. When I went to use the metal key, it would not go into the lock far enough to open it. Oh crap. Was able to squirt some lube in there and get the key to open the trunk.

Now, checked all of the fuses. Under the back seat, fuse #5 was blown. Replaced it and it did not help, and it blew again. I checked the wires I could see around the fuse block and wiggled them a bit. I also removed and re-installed every single fuse under the hood and also under the back seat in case one of them just had a bad connection (I've had this happen before). Now, the fuses are not blowing (even #5)....all are good, but still nothing is working.

My car is a 2002 E430 with 220k+ miles on it so I know I'm to expect things to start to fail. I love this car and want to drive it as long as I can so I'd like to fix these.

Where do I start??
Old Today, 04:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2000 E320
My recommendation and recommendation only. It may not be related, but have you scan the car? You may have bad electrical somewhere and instead of searching for every corrupt, scan may help you pinpoint the source since it's electrical.

Also, door lock and trunk does not operate, have you try other vacuum operated stuff, such as fuel door and headrest retractor? Does these operate? If not, I think you found the problem. Now, you need to find why it's not working.

I don't have electrical schematic of our W210 car, so I have no idea about the radio.