GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2024 GLE 450 first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE 450
2024 GLE 450 first impressions

After a long wait, I finally received my new GLE 450 SUV. This forum has been an invaluable resource for finding information, so I’d like to contribute my first impressions of the car.

For context, my previous cars include a series of BMW 5 Series models, the most recent being a 2022 M5 Competition as my daily driver. I also recently had the opportunity to drive an X7 loaner for three months. Initially, I was considering ordering an X5, but its limited rear legroom wasn’t ideal for my two toddlers. While both the X7 and GLS felt too large to drive solo on most days, the GLE struck a good balance in size and practicality. My impressions will include a lot of comparisons to BMW, so apologies in advance!

The GLE I ordered is almost fully loaded, with just a few exceptions: I didn’t opt for E-Active Body Control (E-ABC), the Off-Road package, or rear privacy shades (I forgot to add them!). Additionally, the Nappa dash and Burmester 3D sound system weren’t available with the AMG-Line 450 configuration. I’m particularly happy with the 21" wheels; they offer a solid compromise between comfort and agility, leaning slightly more toward comfort.

The initial quality control left me a bit disappointed. The interior came with a few cuffs and scratches and some scraping on the leather of the passenger seat. Hopefully the warranty covers it all.

Pros:

- Incredible quietness. I’m genuinely amazed by how quiet and isolated the car feels. I test drove only the 450d before ordering and the petrol engine just makes the car, there's virtually no vibration or excessive engine noise. I would say it is at least the same level of silence as the X7 if not more. The trim quality is on par or better with BMW, everything feels solid and planted, no rattles or creaks so far.
- Great suspension. The airmatic is really the best among the German manufacturers in my opinion. It's softer than the X7's setup while not suffering from the boat-like wallowy feel. To be fair, I keep it in Sport setting 90% of the time.
- Great sound system. The standard Burmester audio system is impressive. I’d say it’s on par with the high-end B&W system found in BMWs and I listen to a lot of music in the car.
- Very smooth engine & transmission. The driving experience is much better compared to the 450d I test drove. Haven't floored it yet as I need to pass the 1000 miles mark but so far the engine feels refined, ample power and is well matched with the transmission. I haven't felt any jerkiness or sudden changes at lower speeds.
- Practicality. Good interior dimensions for tall people, lots of room at the back and decent size boot.

Cons:

- Infotainment system quirks. Some of the infotainment system stuff is really silly. For example, you need to turn off the speed warning and lane assist every time you start the car. Also, adjusting the Airmatic height isn’t straightforward—setting it to the lowest level (-2) requires navigating through multiple screens. In Individual mode with the suspension set to Sport, you can only select between +1 or -1 height levels, but there’s no way to return to the default (0) directly. At least Apple Carplay works flawlessly so far.
- Unusable favourite button and illogical menu layout. The favourite button is pretty much pointless, you can only configure a very limited number of settings for the button. In BMW you can set pretty much ANY setting under favourite button but I am not sure the feature is still there with the newest generation iDrive system. Also, the menu layout overall feels sometimes absurd, some stuff is hidden between several layers and it's hard to keep track on where everything is. BMW so far has executed this part much better with their iDrive system.
- Subpar leather quality. Despite specced with Nappa sports seats, it seems that only the middle section uses soft-grained Nappa leather, while the side bolsters look like regular leather. BMW seats offer slightly better comfort but much higher leather quality. Overall it feels like the Mercedes is skimping a bit on the materials.
- Light steering feel. The steering definitely feels less precise and responsive compared to BMW's. While it is not an issue during city driving, on the highway at 90 mph the X7 felt more planted with more precise steering. I wouldn't call it a serious flaw in the ride setup, but more a characteristic of the overall driving experience. Those looking for very precise, stiff and responsive steering should consider the AMG suspension models or go for BMW.

To sum up I would say that the pros outweigh the cons for me (otherwise I wouldn't have ordered the car!). All-in-all it's just a very comfortable and relaxed driving experience. The quietness really exceeded my expectations, especially since I didn’t have a chance to test drive the petrol 450 beforehand. It feels cozy and relaxed to drive and I am happy with the choice despite the few shortcomings I described.

P.S. I didn’t seriously consider the Audi Q7 due to the lack of physical buttons—the touchscreen always felt fidgety and sluggish, and their sports seats are uncomfortably stiff. I did consider the Cayenne, but it has slightly less rear legroom, and adding options quickly pushed it over my budget. The new Range Rover Sport was also on my list, but it too has less rear legroom, and they only offer PHEV petrol engines. Plus, Land Rovers have a reputation for being in the shop a lot, and I’m not fully convinced I like the flashy, eye-catching appearance.

Shoot if you have any questions! I will try to keep this thread alive and let you know in 3/6/12/24 months how's it going after the honeymoon phase has ended

Last edited by alex_forrest; Today at 07:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by alex_forrest:
BlueYonder (Today), Lucky 777 (Today)
Old Today, 09:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,833 Likes on 2,413 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by alex_forrest
After a long wait, I finally received my new GLE 450 SUV. This forum has been an invaluable resource for finding information, so I’d like to contribute my first impressions of the car.

For context, my previous cars include a series of BMW 5 Series models, the most recent being a 2022 M5 Competition as my daily driver. I also recently had the opportunity to drive an X7 loaner for three months. Initially, I was considering ordering an X5, but its limited rear legroom wasn’t ideal for my two toddlers. While both the X7 and GLS felt too large to drive solo on most days, the GLE struck a good balance in size and practicality. My impressions will include a lot of comparisons to BMW, so apologies in advance!

The GLE I ordered is almost fully loaded, with just a few exceptions: I didn’t opt for E-Active Body Control (E-ABC), the Off-Road package, or rear privacy shades (I forgot to add them!). Additionally, the Nappa dash and Burmester 3D sound system weren’t available with the AMG-Line 450 configuration. I’m particularly happy with the 21" wheels; they offer a solid compromise between comfort and agility, leaning slightly more toward comfort.

The initial quality control left me a bit disappointed. The interior came with a few cuffs and scratches and some scraping on the leather of the passenger seat. Hopefully the warranty covers it all.

Pros:

- Incredible quietness. I’m genuinely amazed by how quiet and isolated the car feels. I test drove only the 450d before ordering and the petrol engine just makes the car, there's virtually no vibration or excessive engine noise. I would say it is at least the same level of silence as the X7 if not more. The trim quality is on par or better with BMW, everything feels solid and planted, no rattles or creaks so far.
- Great suspension. The airmatic is really the best among the German manufacturers in my opinion. It's softer than the X7's setup while not suffering from the boat-like wallowy feel. To be fair, I keep it in Sport setting 90% of the time.
- Great sound system. The standard Burmester audio system is impressive. I’d say it’s on par with the high-end B&W system found in BMWs and I listen to a lot of music in the car.
- Very smooth engine & transmission. The driving experience is much better compared to the 450d I test drove. Haven't floored it yet as I need to pass the 1000 miles mark but so far the engine feels refined, ample power and is well matched with the transmission. I haven't felt any jerkiness or sudden changes at lower speeds.
- Practicality. Good interior dimensions for tall people, lots of room at the back and decent size boot.

Cons:

- Infotainment system quirks. Some of the infotainment system stuff is really silly. For example, you need to turn off the speed warning and lane assist every time you start the car. Also, adjusting the Airmatic height isn’t straightforward—setting it to the lowest level (-2) requires navigating through multiple screens. In Individual mode with the suspension set to Sport, you can only select between +1 or -1 height levels, but there’s no way to return to the default (0) directly. At least Apple Carplay works flawlessly so far.
- Unusable favourite button and illogical menu layout. The favourite button is pretty much pointless, you can only configure a very limited number of settings for the button. In BMW you can set pretty much ANY setting under favourite button but I am not sure the feature is still there with the newest generation iDrive system. Also, the menu layout overall feels sometimes absurd, some stuff is hidden between several layers and it's hard to keep track on where everything is. BMW so far has executed this part much better with their iDrive system.
- Subpar leather quality. Despite specced with Nappa sports seats, it seems that only the middle section uses soft-grained Nappa leather, while the side bolsters look like regular leather. BMW seats offer slightly better comfort but much higher leather quality. Overall it feels like the Mercedes is skimping a bit on the materials.
- Light steering feel. The steering definitely feels less precise and responsive compared to BMW's. While it is not an issue during city driving, on the highway at 90 mph the X7 felt more planted with more precise steering. I wouldn't call it a serious flaw in the ride setup, but more a characteristic of the overall driving experience. Those looking for very precise, stiff and responsive steering should consider the AMG suspension models or go for BMW.

To sum up I would say that the pros outweigh the cons for me (otherwise I wouldn't have ordered the car!). All-in-all it's just a very comfortable and relaxed driving experience. The quietness really exceeded my expectations, especially since I didn’t have a chance to test drive the petrol 450 beforehand. It feels cozy and relaxed to drive and I am happy with the choice despite the few shortcomings I described.

P.S. I didn’t seriously consider the Audi Q7 due to the lack of physical buttons—the touchscreen always felt fidgety and sluggish, and their sports seats are uncomfortably stiff. I did consider the Cayenne, but it has slightly less rear legroom, and adding options quickly pushed it over my budget. The new Range Rover Sport was also on my list, but it too has less rear legroom, and they only offer PHEV petrol engines. Plus, Land Rovers have a reputation for being in the shop a lot, and I’m not fully convinced I like the flashy, eye-catching appearance.

Shoot if you have any questions! I will try to keep this thread alive and let you know in 3/6/12/24 months how's it going after the honeymoon phase has ended
Great impressions, thanks for sharing! Happy to hear you are enjoying it!

MBUX 2.0 (NTG7) was designed with the vertical screen in mind (on the S class and C Class, CLE, etc. plus with the hyperscreen in EQ models and superscreen on the E class) and makes things easier with zero layer, since the GLE facelift got such system as well and kept the horizontal screen, there might be slight difficulties using it as a result.

It makes sense the X7 drives in a more sporty way (and the steering) after all they tout themselves the ultimate driving machine.

It certainly is strange the seat comfort of the GLE is less than X5 or did you mention leather quality, are you comparing GLE to X5 or GLE to X7? After all Mercedes focused on luxury compared to sportiness on a BMW.

Please do follow up with your impressions over the weeks and/or months or even a year.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; Today at 09:15 AM.
Old Today, 09:42 AM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
It certainly is strange the seat comfort of the GLE is less than X5 or did you mention leather quality, are you comparing GLE to X5 or GLE to X7? After all Mercedes focused on luxury compared to sportiness on a BMW.
BMW comfort seat and M-line sport seat come with side bolster adjustment and separate upper back tilt angle adjustment, which are both missing on my GLE with AMG nappa sports seat. Its not a huge difference but for my body type I got the BMW seat always fit just perfectly + the diamond stiching on the BMW comfort seat is such a nice touch
Old Today, 10:04 AM

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
BMW comfort seat and M-line sport seat come with side bolster adjustment and separate upper back tilt angle adjustment, which are both missing on my GLE with AMG nappa sports seat. Its not a huge difference but for my body type I got the BMW seat always fit just perfectly + the diamond stiching on the BMW comfort seat is such a nice touch
I'm not familiar with how settings changed for 2024, but in my 2020GLE with the multi-contour seats (massage etc.) you can adjust the side bolsters and lumbar support separately as well. It's not done from the physical buttons on the door, but rather from the Comfort menu in the infotainment system. There's a screen that looks like a grid and you can choose the height and depth of the lumbar support, and the width of the bolsters.
Old Today, 10:33 AM

Received 228 Likes on 152 Posts
2024 GLE 450, 2015 X5 35d, 2009 SLK 300
Too bad we in the USA aren't allowed to purchase the diesel. I had a diesel X5 and a diesel E class and loved them. A 450d would probably have been my first choice.

I use the quick access all the time. I use the car wash setting when running through the car wash and the lower function when I park.
Old Today, 10:38 AM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by BlueYonder
Too bad we in the USA aren't allowed to purchase the diesel. I had a diesel X5 and a diesel E class and loved them. A 450d would probably have been my first choice.
Having driven both 450 and 450d I would choose petrol any time of the day. The diesel felt sluggish, vibrated more, was noisier (and not in a AMG good way noisier) and took a long time to warm up…
Old Today, 11:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,833 Likes on 2,413 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I see, understood, I guess the AMG GLE models (the seats purely) might be more your style with the side bolsters : )