C63, C43 AMG (W206) 2023 -

C63S E Performance power loss between gear change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2024 | 10:07 AM

C63S E Performance
C63S E Performance power loss between gear change

Anyone else have this problem?
When changing from 4th to 5th gear, and you fully accelerate, there seems to be a sudden power loss, for about a second. I can see the electric motor power display jumps down to zero, and then back up again. Not a nice feeling when your foot is flat on the gas/accelerator.

Can has been run in, done 1600km

Taking to dealer next week

Old 10-06-2024 | 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
electric engine has 2 gears, this is likely it switching between the two. Reviewers have noted this as unpleasant and strange.
The following users liked this post:
crester (Yesterday)
Old 10-06-2024 | 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yes, the 2 speed transmission on the rear axle changes to the second gear at 120 kph/75 mph and it cuts power when that happens. It's one reason I dislike this car. The main transmission shifts delayed in manual mode and then just when you shift around 120 you have this additional power cut until it continues on after the shift. Felt this constantly on the track last month in Germany. This powertrain sucks, plain and simple. So much going on and it's always in your face, giving inconsistent performance and laggy response.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-06-2024 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2024 | 03:38 AM

C63S E Performance
Originally Posted by xalik
When changing from 4th to 5th gear, and you fully accelerate, there seems to be a sudden power loss, for about a second. I can see the electric motor power display jumps down to zero, and then back up again. Not a nice feeling when your foot is flat on the gas/accelerator.

Car has been run in, done 1600km

I forgot to mention. I drove the dealers demo C63S E Performance, and it did not have the same issue.
Old 10-07-2024 | 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I forgot to mention. I drove the dealers demo C63S E Performance, and it did not have the same issue.
What mode did you drive it in? In Comfort mode, the 2-speed transmission is always in 2nd gear. As said, highly complicated powertrain with lots of nuances.
Old Yesterday | 02:45 AM

C63S E Performance
Originally Posted by superswiss
What mode did you drive it in? In Comfort mode, the 2-speed transmission is always in 2nd gear. As said, highly complicated powertrain with lots of nuances.
I drove it in S and S+ and Race mode, with transmission on manual mode.

Will try in auto mode and see what it does. I hope they come up with a software fix.
Old Yesterday | 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I drove it in S and S+ and Race mode, with transmission on manual mode.

Will try in auto mode and see what it does. I hope they come up with a software fix.
Not sure why you didn't feel it in the demo car, but it's what it does. The AMG instructors specifically called it out as being by design. I found it super annoying. Didn't pay attention to what gear it happened, but the instructors said it happens at 120 kph. It coincided with when I shifted manually into the next higher gear and the power went completely flat for like 1-2 seconds before it finally gets going again. It sort of felt like when traction control kicks in. This was on top of the main transmission having a delay when shifting manually. I did not like this powertrain at all.

Last edited by superswiss; Yesterday at 02:54 AM.
Old Yesterday | 01:32 PM

@ Swiss - so what did you think of the C63 powertrain, and if you didn't like it, could you write a few more paragraphs complaining and whining
Old Yesterday | 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by SomewhatStoopid
@ Swiss - so what did you think of the C63 powertrain, and if you didn't like it, could you write a few more paragraphs complaining and whining
What a stooch you are. Only 2 posts and you have nothing better to contribute? It's always the newcomers who think they have something to say to the people who have been here for years and have helped countless members.

Last edited by superswiss; Yesterday at 01:46 PM.
Old Yesterday | 02:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by SomewhatStoopid
What a stooch you are. Only 2 posts and you have nothing better to contribute? It's always the newcomers who think they have something to say to the people who have been here for years and have helped countless members.
He had hands on actual experience with the vehicle pushing the vehicle to the limits at the driving event : https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c43-a...ve-c63-se.html
His experience is more genuine thanany journalist that most likely got paid somehow to write a favourable review for MB or risk having no more press cars for them to test next.

On top of that, his experience is even more genuine because he personally owns the previous generation C205 C 63 S and therefore an actual owner.
The following users liked this post:
superswiss (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
He had hands on actual experience with the vehicle pushing the vehicle to the limits at the driving event : https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c43-a...ve-c63-se.html
His experience is more genuine thanany journalist that most likely got paid somehow to write a favourable review for MB or risk having no more press cars for them to test next.

On top of that, his experience is even more genuine because he personally owns the previous generation C205 C 63 S and therefore an actual owner.
Thanks for posting the link. I should have referred OP to it for a more comprehensive take on the car and background. Don't worry about this stooch, though. His username kinda says it all.
Old Yesterday | 03:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for posting the link. I should have referred OP to it for a more comprehensive take on the car and background. Don't worry about this stooch, though. His username kinda says it all.
Ya, you're welcome, I thought it was necessary to make it clear like I mentioned in the previous post, your experience is much more genuine than many journalist out there due to the concept of early access and test drives/press cars, can say the same for electronics, like smartphones, which they tend to be more favorable towards a car and manufacturer as a result.
Old Today | 10:44 AM

A45 AMG

Thats just how the car is.

There is a gear change for the electric engine that takes about 0,5s and there is a delay in acceleration there. The power from the gas engine seems to also be diminished during this change.
Old Today | 02:53 PM

2008 C300, 2015 CLA 45 AMG, 2018 SLC 300, 2019 C43 AMG coupe, 2024 AMG C63S E Performance

Interesting. I have definitely read about this and seen it mentioned in video reviews. I have not noticed it as of yet, but perhaps Ive not focused too much on it. Will keep an eye out for it going forward. To be fair, I am driving in Individual mode for daily driving ( all sport settings aside from engine which is on moderate setting aka comfort). Next time Im in sport plus or race and pushing it, I will see though.

Old Today | 04:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Mayur999
Interesting. I have definitely read about this and seen it mentioned in video reviews. I have not noticed it as of yet, but perhaps Ive not focused too much on it. Will keep an eye out for it going forward. To be fair, I am driving in Individual mode for daily driving ( all sport settings aside from engine which is on moderate setting aka comfort). Next time Im in sport plus or race and pushing it, I will see though.
Are still observing the break-in hence why you haven't had a chance to push the performance yet?
Old Today | 05:09 PM

2008 C300, 2015 CLA 45 AMG, 2018 SLC 300, 2019 C43 AMG coupe, 2024 AMG C63S E Performance
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Are still observing the break-in hence why you haven't had a chance to push the performance yet?
Nope. I am passed the break in now. I have pushed it, but havnt really noticed that issue yet. I will be more aware of it now and see if I notice it.
Old Today | 05:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Mayur999
Nope. I am passed the break in now. I have pushed it, but havnt really noticed that issue yet. I will be more aware of it now and see if I notice it.
I see, that is good to hear.