SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: 2017 Maintenance, repairs and depreciation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Maintenance, repairs and depreciation?

I'm looking at getting a 2017 SL 550 for about $40-50k with about 20-50k miles, and I'd like to get a better understanding of the cost of maintenance, expected repairs, and depreciation. I only drive about 8k miles per year tops. I cannot do my own maintenance. The main goal here is just to make sure the costs are in line with my other choice (Cayman 981S) and not considerably more / less to the point where it would affect my decision. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either.

Anyone know how I can calculate these or anyone have numbers for me? Or info on how I can find them?

Also, better more miles for reduced cost or less miles for higher cost? What should I aim for? Obviously I'll be looking for a well maintained car that has documented maintenance at correct intervals.

Last edited by Apple713; Yesterday at 01:04 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,425 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
What are your goals and why the SL550 versus the SL450? Have you driven any of the cars you are looking at?

The SL is not a sports car like the Porche. It is a Grand Touring vehicle with great handling. It is comfortable and confident. WRT maintenance, the SL is going to be easier to work on, so we assume cheaper to maintain.

So, I suggest you test drive the SL450, SL550, and the 981, and then decide because if you fall in love with one car and hate the other, are you really going to spend that kind of money on a car you hate?

(The SL450 is probably the most reliable of the group. You may want to consider a 3rd party extended service agreement. @Highline-Autos.com can help you with that. Actually, get quotes on all three; the most expensive car is the one that will probably cost the most to maintain.)

Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM

delete?

Last edited by Apple713; Yesterday at 08:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by JettaRed
What are your goals and why the SL550 versus the SL450? Have you driven any of the cars you are looking at?

The SL is not a sports car like the Porche. It is a Grand Touring vehicle with great handling. It is comfortable and confident. WRT maintenance, the SL is going to be easier to work on, so we assume cheaper to maintain.

So, I suggest you test drive the SL450, SL550, and the 981, and then decide because if you fall in love with one car and hate the other, are you really going to spend that kind of money on a car you hate?

(The SL450 is probably the most reliable of the group. You may want to consider a 3rd party extended service agreement. @Highline-Autos.com can help you with that. Actually, get quotes on all three; the most expensive car is the one that will probably cost the most to maintain.)
I've driven the SL550 and the cayman. I'm not really planning on tracking the car so I dont NEED a sportscar but i know that sportscars tend to hold their value better so thats why i was interested. None of the cars I've driven I've really fallen in love with but these two are at the top of my list.

I never tried the SL450 but I cant imagine it being better than the 550? I like the speed and the power of the 550 I just wish it had better V8 sound. According to the forums here it's achievable with aftermarket mods, BUT now the concern is more about it depreciating and how it is to maintain in comparison to the Cayman.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,425 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
A SL450 with a tune will get you close to a stock SL550. I'm probably close to 410 hp with my Stage 2 tune. The less weight of the M276 gives the car a more balanced feel. The 6 cylinder is certainly going to cost less to maintain than the SL550. Maybe not a lot less, but certainly less. You should drive one to see how you like it. @Streamliner has a story about picking his SL450 over an SL550. I really like the sound of my SL400 -- very throaty. Stock, the SL500 is only about half a second faster than the SL450. So, it may also depend on whether you are going to modify your car.

If you are worried about buying a car that is going to hold its value, I would say a Honda CR-V is probably a better bet than any sports car. But I never buy a car as any kind of investment. I drive cars I enjoy driving and don't care what they are worth next year.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (Today)