E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Hood strut/lift help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday | 10:36 PM

2000 E320
Hood strut/lift help

Aloha guys. Does anyone know if the hood mounting point for the struts/lift are different from 4-Matic and regular sedan?

Only reason why I'm asking is that pretty much every site that I go to, it tells me the longer strut/support is for my car (2000 e320) but the support I removed from my car is the short one. According to various website, it list the 4-Matic hood strut as my replacement. I only bought the car year ago and it does not seems be in a accident. I did replace both front shocks and couldn't see any damage to the frame, and core support seems to be OK although that's not too hard to replace. I did crawled under the car when I remove the both headlights because of the wiring problem (I looked at the wiring the wrong way. The cover just disintegrated) and couldn't see any damage.

Anyway, I'm just tired of having the hood coming down on me whenever I looked inside the engine room and just want to replace the hood struts/lifts.

Anybody can shine a light on this?

Old Today | 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
If someone has access to the MB parts engine they can check if there are different part numbers for the hood shock between the models.

I'm thinking outside the box and suggest that you, with your short shock, try opening the hood to the super high position and see if the short strut support the raised wide upward position. You do this by pressing the red labeled flap on the hood hinge. My sleep induced logic says that if the shorter shock was used because that's all someone had on hand, it is unlikely to accommodate the full open position on your model.

Hope this makes sense. I find it odd that MB would use different length shocks between facelift w210s, though I could see that happening pre vs post facelift.

(I replaced my aged hood shocks on my 1999 sedan and used this:
Amazon Amazon
) ... and i just ran down to the garage and verified it raises the hood to the extended position successfully

Last edited by raymond g-; Today at 01:50 AM.