Glass breaker & seat belt cutter mini tool

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today | 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Glass breaker & seat belt cutter mini tool

Gents,

Some of my friends got electric car, mostly the Hyundai Ionic 5.
So my friend was talking about how he now carry glass breaker tool, for just in case total power failure during an accident and door fail to open.
Some EV needs power to actually get the door handle out and then allowed to be pulled to open...damn, how insanely crazy is that ?
I know Tesla has manual pull cable hidden to open its door when and if such needs arises.

It got me thinking, if our door get crumpled enough between pillar A and B and C ( for rear door ) during an accident to just be enough to twist-lock the locking mechanism door to pillar
it may not be possible to open it, be it EV or regular car. There may be a need to exit from the window and break them if it is not yet broken.

I bought this locally for such an Uncle Murphy event. Its only US$7.00. It also has seat blade cutter blade.
Amazon Amazon

At first I wanted to keep it inside the center console glove box, but I thought about it, its full of my other stuff and is not visually visible to others.
What if my car flip upside down and everything inside the center console got thrown out and my auto seat belt retractor kept me stuck in my seat ?

So I decided to place it where I find most suitable ( not at airbag explosion zone or human head recoil zone ) and that is my maximum left hand reach too,
if and when I am stuck on my seat by the seat belt.

I added a bit of foam tape to make it not make noise and not fly off during an accident. That foam tape is not a double side tape, that is 4mm HVAC foam insulator,
so I can tear it when pulling the tool.

The image source :

---------------------------

My test on the tool. I get 1 freebie round glass to break

=================================

Before I made a trip last week to snake-y winding village road, I bought spare equipment for added safety.

I bought extra reflective triangle and 2 reflective vest , yep vest.
This is aside from extra safety tools I always brought along if I do long distance, like 2 of fire extinguisher clean gas type AF-11 ( like FM200 halon replacement )

When a road has so many blind corners, one reflective triangle is not enough. Thus I need 2, one being for before the blind corner and one after the blind corner say 20 meters behind from my car.

At highway it is the same, a lot of my local drivers love to use the emergency break-down left lane ( RHD country, left side traffic ) to overtake or go faster than others.
Many accidents happened this way from such reckless driver. because big trucks being on the left slow lanes are so huge, its a big blind spot long distance for wide angle view for us sedans.
So he/she took the emergency break-down left lane at good speed and if there is a vehicle at this break-down lane, often accident happen.

All below are those who uses the left emergency lane and too bad there is a truck which broke down there.

So at highway, touch wood if I ever break down or need to replace my tire, I will place my 2nd reflective triangle 100-120 meters behind my car and my 1st reflective triangle 20 meters behind my car.

Good for truckers to carry up to 3 reflector triangle

.Above : Two lane Road ( I call it a single lane opposing traffic ) with emergency brake down lane, how nice.

Stay safe guys..............

The following users liked this post:
Jaybird123 (Today)
Old Today | 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
These are what I have in red. The black clip just pulls out to expose the cutter. I have them hanging from my turn signal stalk with a tie wrap.

Last edited by JettaRed; Today at 01:01 PM.
Jaybird123 (Today)
Old Today | 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Trying to find a version that also holds 2 oz of Jack Daniels to keep me calm until the paramedics arrive.
Old Today | 10:33 AM

2016 S212 E400 RENNTech 345 whp/360 wtq
Excellent topic! In our truck camper I keep this tool between the driver’s and passengers seats so either can reach. Also carry warning triangles, tools snd self-rescue gear, a halon extinguisher inside the cab and an ABC extinguisher inside the camper along with a small fire blanket. All of this because we tend to travel well out of cellular service.

Jaybird123 (Today)