MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R129) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r129-18/)
-   -   SL/R129: Zero to One-Sixty Suicide Run (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r129/158168-zero-one-sixty-suicide-run.html)

tipds 08-07-2006 02:15 AM

Zero to One-Sixty Suicide Run

I've seen some of the 0-60 and 0-100 runs posted at this site. Well, here's my 0-160 run. Honestly, this was the first time I have driven this fast, and I was surprised that I could get to 160. I had heard that the SL600 was artificially limited to around 150, so when I saw I had hit a full 160, I was impressed. Anyhow, I apologize for the horrible quality of the video. I used my Treo 650 to take the video. Unknown to me at the time, the video capture was set to 176x144. The maximum on the phone is 352x288. Either way, it wouldn't be great video, but I got the worst. Even so, you can see what was happening. I wish I had brought my Sony camera, but I really hadn't planned to do this at all. The opportunity just presented itself, as there was a gigantic gap in traffic when I got on I-10 across Mobile Bay. Anyhow, I hope you guys enjoy. The video is located at: www.geocities.com/tipds/0-160_Suicide_Run.wmv

Tip DS

tipds 08-07-2006 03:04 AM

To clear things up

OK, since the video was so bad I am posting a picture of my speed-O-meter. You can see it at www.geocities.com/tipds/ATT00004.jpg

Tip DS

Asset 08-07-2006 03:42 AM

Ohuet' !!!!!
Cool !!!!
Man, you've got to do it again with a better camera!

Tangerine 08-07-2006 04:13 AM

you've beat my record

elau 08-07-2006 09:54 AM

Wow, amazing vid. And you did it at night!!

I noticed the tac never red lined, and how amazingly low the rpm was even you were doing in excess of 100 mph. Good vid!!!

HLG600 08-07-2006 10:53 AM

Link isn't working, I hope the site is up again soon. Other than that, aWesome. I wish I had a nice open road and radar to have some fun. :)

C43AMG 08-07-2006 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by HLG600
I wish I had a nice open road and radar to have some fun. :)

Turnpike or GSP :naughty:

mebeJOE 08-07-2006 01:50 PM

Well, you certainly did better than me. I hit 140 last April.

I was by myself.

I attempted a photo by resting my camera on the steering wheel and snapping the speedo. Came out blurry.

So, I tried it again the next day. This time I dropped the camera.

Big fun right?

Okay, for those of you who are looking for fairly SAFE places to make top speed runs on the road, for you west coasters, I have two places I've found that are GREAT and low population/low traffic areas (that way if you crash and burn, you are only killing yourself and a couple of bushes, no people)-- I realize these are long drives, but I like going on long road trips to nowhere. So, if you do too, these are for you.

1. About 140 miles north of Las Vegas on 95 (from Los Angeles you can take I-15 to Death Valley turn - off in Baker Cal. When you get to Death Valley Junction take the 373 to the 95 this drive is VERY fun). Go North on the 95. There's this place call Scotty's Junction -- they sell "Area 51" souviners and crap. Anyways . . . before you get to Scotty's junction, you are gonna come down a hill, and the road turns to a long long long straight away, with, if I remember, two lanes on EACH side -- it must be 5 miles long. Because you are coming down a hill, you can see forever ahead -- to make sure the road is clear. If there isn't anybody in front of you -- GO FOR IT!!! My old car, I hit the limiter at 120 (wow, it hit like I hit a wall).

I recommend a radar detector, too.

2. If you are in Reno, Nv. ever, another fun drive wherein you encounter a long straight with good visiblity for miles . . . Take 395 north out of Reno. Go past Susanville (you are in California now). About 50 miles north of Susanville, there is a town called Ravendale. The traffic is pretty light up until Ravendale, but AFTER Ravendale, my experiance is the 3 or 4 times I've done this drive, the roads are nearly empty. A little past Ravendale is a long long straight were you can see for miles in every direction. I only had guts for a couple of runs to 130 and then finally, 140 twice. But if you have the stones and the horsepower, you could do 180 easy.

HLG600 08-07-2006 01:51 PM

5 mile downhill straightaway!? Nice!

HLG600 08-07-2006 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by C43AMG

Rt 80 wouldn't be too bad either with zero cars on it. :)

tipds 08-07-2006 11:28 PM

Bandwidth Limitation

Link isn't working, I hope the site is up again soon. Other than that, aWesome. I wish I had a nice open road and radar to have some fun. :)

Sorry you couldn't see the video. I have it posted at Geocities, and they limit the amount of data you can transfer, I think per hour. Anyhow, you may be able to see it if you wait a while and try again. Sorry, but I don't have another web host that I could dump it to. I know the company has a web host, but I don't wanna bother my MIS people to set it up. If the limitation at Geocities really becomes a problem, y'all let me know and I'll get them to do it anyway. OR, if any of you want me to email the video to you, I can do that too.

Tip DS

tipds 08-07-2006 11:37 PM

Ration of crap

I forgot to tell you guys... I took a big ration of crap for that video. My wife, of course, got all over me. Also, everybody at work climed my case. Vice President of finance told me she was going to turn me in to her son-in-law, who is a law officer. President of the company told me I'm an idiot, and so did my secretary. Oh, and get this... The president knows that I'm having my will written by a good frined/attorney. (Yes, I know friend and attorney are supposed to be exclusive terms.) Anyhow, he (president) emailed the video to the attorney and said, "<Name>, Look at this video. This reminds me to ask you if you have made any progress toward completing <My Name>'s last will and testiment." What a hoot. Oh, and our Director of MIS told me stories about doing 100+, back before he had kids... You know, when he was stupid. I couldn't stop laughing. I told them that acting this way might kill me, but it also reminds me that I'm ALIVE! Now, if I could just get the stain out of my favorite pants. Ha ha.:zoom:

Tip DS

HLG600 08-07-2006 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by tipds
Sorry you couldn't see the video. I have it posted at Geocities, and they limit the amount of data you can transfer, I think per hour. Anyhow, you may be able to see it if you wait a while and try again. Sorry, but I don't have another web host that I could dump it to. I know the company has a web host, but I don't wanna bother my MIS people to set it up. If the limitation at Geocities really becomes a problem, y'all let me know and I'll get them to do it anyway. OR, if any of you want me to email the video to you, I can do that too.

Tip DS

HLG600@yahoo.com, if it's not too much trouble. 0-160 in an SL600...sounds very promising. :)

mannnu81 08-08-2006 12:11 AM

one of my friends pushed 170 in his M3(chip removed, of course) on the 5N coming home from the block at 1AM:crazy: :crazy: he said at that speed, the broken lane markers become solid ...one crazy MOFO.. if popo sees you at that speed yous driving days are ovah

Asset 08-08-2006 02:53 AM

HLG600,
the link is in good condition, the thing is, you got to download it as a "save as" option from the right click mouse menu. uploaders (like FlashGet, or Rip) are not able to do the job. well, the site won't open if you click a left button of a mouse.

Asset 08-08-2006 03:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
130 miles achived a months ago on a plain 2-liter subaru by my office driver on my business trip to a small russian town. we got there in 1 hour 28 minutes (if you go by the speed limits you et there in 3 hours 15 minutes). the good thing about Russia - you can give a policeman some $2 - $5 and continue your journey. The bad thing - there are a lot of crazy ones like yourself:):):) so got to be cautious!!!

HLG600 08-08-2006 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Asset
HLG600,
the link is in good condition, the thing is, you got to download it as a "save as" option from the right click mouse menu. uploaders (like FlashGet, or Rip) are not able to do the job. well, the site won't open if you click a left button of a mouse.

I attempted both methods. With the left click, I get an error page. As for right click save as, it downloads but all my media players get an error message.

This is the message:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Any idea how to correct this issue? :nix:

Asset 08-08-2006 03:48 AM

Any idea how to correct this issue? :nix:

Yes, please send me a message on asetfmma@gmail.ru with your e-mail address that is capable of accepting a 3 to 8MB file. I'll reply you with a codec attached.

mebeJOE 08-08-2006 12:48 PM

Tip DS

I've been trying for two days to see your video -- always over limit.

Will someone here volunteer to set it up on a different website?

mebeJOE 08-08-2006 12:50 PM

President of the company told me I'm an idiot, and so did my secretary. Now, if I could just get the stain out of my favorite pants. Ha ha.:zoom:

It's always good when your boss thinks you're an idiot. :rolf:

As a lawyer, my professional advice is to NOT wear those pants to work.

Asset 08-08-2006 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by mebeJOE
I've been trying for two days to see your video -- always over limit.

Will someone here volunteer to set it up on a different website?

mebeJOE, I can e-mail the file to you, along with a codec. send me your e-mail on asetfmma@gmail.ru

tipds 08-09-2006 03:19 AM

It's always good when your boss thinks you're an idiot. :rolf:

As a lawyer, my professional advice is to NOT wear those pants to work.

Boss? Well as an officer he does out rank me, as I'm only a lowly VP. My ace in the hole is that I'm Chairman of the Board. Ha!

Tip DS

tipds 08-09-2006 03:23 AM

Blast from the past

Originally Posted by C43AMG

C43AMG, is that Space Ghost as your picture?! Man, I used to be hooked on that toon. Thanks for the memory.

Tip DS

tipds 08-09-2006 03:28 AM

He he he!

I recommend a radar detector, too.

Joe, a detector is a nice passive way of getting notice that you are about to get jailed. It's illegal almost everywhere, but may I suggest that everyone doing these things get a jammer, like mine? Sure, smokey will know you're really hauling-it, but they can't write a ticket based on that. I have yet to get one, and I have flown past some fuzz. I don't make a habit out of it, but it's great protection to have a jammer for the odd occasion.

Tip DS

EsEl 08-09-2006 07:51 AM

Jammer vs. Radar?

Not that I am up for 160mph runs but am curious if anyone else has used a jammer vs. a radar and do they work?

Experience / recommendations?