SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: SL Reliability

Old 06-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL Reliability

Hello all. My wife and I are considering purchasing an SL. We are looking at several very clean, low mileage, Starmark certified cars. We currently own a C class MB and a 7 series BMW, so I am familiar with the cost of maintaining and repairing these cars generally, but I am curious as to whether the SL's are in the same ballpark as other MBs and BMWs, maintenance wise, or whether they are much more expensive to maintain, and less reliable. I have heard some horror stories, but I have heard these stories about other BMWs and MBs as well. Really, what I am looking to find out is whether the typical SL will be your typical MB or BMW (which for the most part are pretty reliable, but a little pricey maintenance wise), or whether it will be a pain in the *** aka some of the beautiful but tempermental Italian machinery out there. Finally, we are looking at the SL320 and SL500, but not the SL 600. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:06 PM
VQT

88 Corvette
I like to know this also. I am lokking to buy a used 94-96 SL500 and like to know how much will it cost me on maintenance yearly if I try to do most of the work myself.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:12 PM

SL 500 AMG
Hi there,

I've owned SL for years now, and If I were you I'd look in to 97+ SL since they are a bit better built and some changes than the previous years 96 and below that is... my current SL I haven't had any problems yet I've had it for 3 years now and it's almost 6 year old car so spend a bit more and get a newer one, that's my two cents... Thanks... V.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Reliability

Thanks. What particular improvements were made? Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:45 PM

SL 500 AMG
well interior, the AC/heater unit is the LCD one. Engine and transmission and electrical has been changed, they are 5 speed instead of 4 speed automatic...those were the major changes...
Old 06-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Almost a Member!

SL Reliabilty

Thanks. I assume those changes were intended to remedy certain issues with the original models? (I know for instance, that MB has had problems with climate control systems in some of its models over the years.)
Old 06-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Almost a Member!

SL OWNERSHIP RESPONSE

If you look at model year 2000 on, you will be well off. Save your money on Starmark certified. It means only that the dealer is over pricing the car to pay the saleman's commission and dealer's overhead!

Find a reliable independent Mercedes dealer, you will get more value, and he'll be very responsive to your needs long term. And, the difference you pay him from Starmark can buy lots of add ons to make the car even nicer!

They are fantastic cars and loads of fun. Don't expect a quiet interior. It can be noisey with just the soft top. It is a beautiful, classy, and responsive auto, and you'll have loads of fun.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Almost a Member!

SL Reliability

Thanks for the advice. I guess the reason that we have been looking at the Starmark cars is that while I agree that they tend to be somewhat overpriced, it does provide a rough surrogate for really knowing the cars. The more comfortable I become with my knowledge level of the SL, the less likely it will be that we will feel we need to buy a Starmark car to be assured of its quality.

That being said, in my area (greater Philadelphia area), and even in NJ and MD, private sellers with clean, low mileage SL's want almost as much money as the dealers. The cars that are cheaper definitely look it when you go to see them.

I will keep looking, however.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:55 PM

I was in the same boat as you and spent about 6 months researching everything I could find out about these cars. I started by looking at 1991-92 model, and gradually progressed through to the 1999-2002 models, the last of that series made. I ended up purchasing a 1999 for several reasons. The price difference between 1996 and 1999 is not that great. There were a lot of improvements on the cars for the 1996 model, upgraded interior and 5 speed transmission being the big ones. I settled on the 1999 mainly because it had a few further upgrades, specifically the engine. Merc. went from 4 valves back to three, and made some other mods, the main result being the 0-60 times dropped by almost a second. Also this engine and transmission have been carried over unchanged into the new 2003 model. You will denfinitely not regret getting a 1999-2002 model
Old 06-09-2003, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
SL maintenance is quite straight-forward. Normal stuff like oil/filters/brakes/tyres is nothing to worry about but non-service items can be expensive. My 7 year old SL600 has only ever had to have one item replaced outside the normal service cycle and my experience is that it is a reliable, well built car from the days before Mercedes entered their dreadful few years of patchy build quality.

I also have a Ferrari and the maintenance costs of the SL are nothing by comparison, not least because there's none of the nonsense of having to take the engine out every three years.

Go for a 96 onwards and go for originality, condition and history. Don't be put off by an older car with higher mileage if it's otherwise right because well maintained SLs will go on longer than most any car on the planet.

So, only a consider cars which have been cared for. The interior must be as near perfect as possible because it's big money to fix. Be especially aware of screw holes where phones used to be and look on the side bolsters of the seats for signs of wear. New interior mats are cheap check underneath because you do not want to even think about re-carpeting.

Look for original unscuffed wheels, walk away from after maket add-ons like spoilers and other body parts, also any engine modifications or stereo "upgrades".

Look for a service history to make sure the car has received the maintenance it requires; check the operation of the soft top, look for cracked or crazed plastic windows, check the operation of the pop-up anti-roll bar, electric seats, central locking which are all big money to fix if they go wrong.

Good Luck!
Old 06-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Almost a Member!

SL Reliability

Thanks for the post. Very helpful. Sounds like I am on the right path, because my biggest criteria have been to find a car that (1) is all original (no modifications, add on aero aids, etc.); (2) has a fully documented service history; and (3) no accidents, paintwork, etc. inside or out. I am going to try to get a later model, as I do think it is worthwhile to have the later design engine. I am still looking, but so far my experience has been that the cars at the dealers are typically closer or on this standard than private dealer/private seller cars, with the downside that the prices reflect it. However, this is a long-term vehicle (I don't think I will ever sell it), so I am not concerned about paying a few bucks more for the right example.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Sounds sensible to me, you'll enjoy the SL for many years, especially if it's not your daily driver. The SL will then equate to leisure and vacation driving, not the daily commute.