SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Just bought a hard top but now problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2001 S430 W220
Just bought a hard top but now problem

Hi all, I have an R129 SL 500, year 2000 model. I just recently purchased hard top for it and tried to install it. I put the top on aligning all the pins, and pushed button forward and it seems like it locked the rear of the top in place but the front part did not lock in and light started blinking.

So I manually locked the front using the tools in pouch and turned those screws behind the visors and I managed to lock the front as well. Now the top is secure, and the light turned off, so I thought all was well.

So I start driving, and a minute after driving, the damn light turns solid red again and an alarm sounds. So It's been like this since. Why is it misbehaving and what can I do to fix this.

Thanks.

Last edited by DimcheSRQ; 01-09-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Is the top you bought the same model year as the car?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM

2001 S430 W220
Originally Posted by BJonesFL
Is the top you bought the same model year as the car?
Well that's a good question, I have no clue what year it's for. I assumed they are the similar. It has a rear window defrost connector also. Anyway to find out?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Originally Posted by DimcheSRQ
Well that's a good question, I have no clue what year it's for. I assumed they are the similar. It has a rear window defrost connector also. Anyway to find out?
In one of the model years prior to yours, MB made some changes to the way the rubber seal fits on the car when in place. I believe (but I'm not 100% sure) that the seal can be changed to the proper one for your model year. If it were my car, I'd take it to the body shop near to you that does MB Dealer's work or go directly to the Dealer Parts Dept and have them check it out. I don't think the part # is visible on the molding, but check it.

All the hard tops have rear defrost connectors so they can be unplugged when removing the top Even if the connector fits the receptacle, you still can't be sure from that what year the top is from.

Bob
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55, SL500, E350
When you first put the hardtop in place, did you place the front "prongs" in the holes and all the way down? For safety design, they won't lock if the prong does not press against them.

When you manually lock them, the switch might still think it's open; hence the red lights and the "ping". Were there 9 pings then they stop?

BTW, are there any leaks in your cylinders? Is your reservoir level up to the max mark?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 500sl
There is a difference in the top from 1995 on that has to do with a sensor in the very front center of the top. It is a magnet with a hall effect sensor that opens and closes a switch to tell the computer that the top is in place. Check what ever information you have on the top and see if it isn't a 1994 and older top. There may be a way to place a piece of metal in the top so as to complete the circuit.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM

2001 S430 W220
Wow, I was wondering how the computer/sensor "knew" if I put a newer top on or not but cdrusn, your post explains that I guess.

I do notice the plenty pings, I haven't exactly counted but 9 sounds about right. I have not checked for leaks or reservoir. The soft top works without a problem so I haven't needed to check.

About the prongs in the front, I'm not sure HOW much I have to push down. It seems to not want to budge with force. But maybe I haven't tried hard.