SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: R129 ABS light on - hardtop won't lift.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Mercedes 500SL
R129 ABS light on - hardtop won't lift.

I have a 1992 500SL that I have owned for 14 years. It was rarely given me a problem. Recently I took the car to a Mercedes Service Center to have the strut mounts replaced as they were cracked. They recommended that I get new shocks/struts because one was leaking. (which at this point I wish I had not done) The car drove fine, but I let them replace the shocks, and also the tie rods and lower control arm bushings. They also aligned it. When I picked up the car, the ABS light was on. And it has never come on in the past. The Mercedes Service Center (not affiliated with a Benz dealer), said they could not diagnose the ABS problem. They did try replacing the ABS sensors in the front, but they said it did not help so they removed the new ones and put the old ones back on. I tested the old ones using instructions I found online and they tested okay. Along with the ABS light on, the hardtop will not come off either. I have been researching online for possible solutions. I found that with the ABS light on, the hardtop will not function either. One recommendation was the top might be out of sync, so I tried removing the hardtop with the manual removal tool and got the top off, then the soft top would not work then either. I made a 16 pin diagnostic tool with a light (from instructions I found online) to test and read the codes from the 16 pin diagnostic module located under the hood on the passenger side of the firewall. The codes that showed up were code #3 (voltage supply) which we eliminated as not a problem, the code #30 (top operation disable due to code #29 (wheel speed from ABS control module missing), I reset those codes. Then driving the car a short distance, the ABS light comes on again. When I check the diagnostic module, there are no codes.I can't imagine it would be the ABS module itself - also because no code points to that as a problem. The car stays garaged and has only 69k miles on it.
Does anyone have any idea what else I can check?
Old 08-17-2017, 04:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Post your VIN!
Old 08-17-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
94 SL 600, 98 993, 89 XJS Conv., 85 Daimlier Princess 16 Hybrid Lincoln 16 Chevy crewcab
Since you are experienced in many ways, I would send you to Klaus of Top Hydraulics in Oregon.
I wonder about a wheel sensor being altered or damaged? If memory serves a brake light module is also a common fault in the multi factor feedback system
Good luck
Old 08-18-2017, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by riopaloma
Does anyone have any idea what else I can check?
The ABS controller is not sending to the roof controller the speed signal taken from the left-front wheel. The problem is probably the sensor, wiring to the ABS controller, the ABS controller, or power to the controller from the over-voltage protection relay (OVP). I suggest you post your VIN and let Plutoe take it from here...