SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: Help with a possible new purchase - 500SL 1991

Old 02-18-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R129 500SL
Help with a possible new purchase - 500SL 1991

Hi Guys,

I'm new around here, will do a welcome post but I'm in a bit of a hurry...

I have been offered a 1991 Mercedes 500SL for not very much money. It isn't my ideal colour combo but I can't say no for the cash. It has a few problems, nothing which I can't handle as I enjoy DIY no matter how much of a job it is but to a degree...

So, I;ll let the pictures show the car, it is a rare (hate of love it) colour combo, it has had 4 owners, full Mercedes stamped service history up to 85k miles, it currently has 107k miles and it drives superbly, no knocks, rattles, engine is almost silent and pulls very very well. There is a sqeak from the belt area but perhaps thats a worn belt or tensioner?

All metal mainbody panels are perfect and never been removed or painted, it is a very genuine used car and doesn't appear to be hiding anything.

The bad bits.

Needs a new windscreen (can claim on insurance for £50)
New PVC rear windows (£225 to have replaced)
Headliner in hard top is sagging (Can DIY)
Drivers bolster is worn (£150 to resolve)
1 key. ????
Rust bubble on front wing (Friends paintshop will solve for £120)
Needs 4 tyres (can get new pirellis through a friend for cheap)

The above is all good, I can deal with that. My 1 concern is that the car has not been used much and when I tried to put the roll bar up, it moved about 2 inches and froze, it wouldn't go up or down. After 10 secs, I could put it down, then I tired to lift it again and it got stuck in the same place.. Eventually, I got it to come up but then it wouldnt go back down..

Then I tried the roof, it came up but got stuck half way, at the point of the rear deck lid reaching 90 degrees... Waited a few seconds and then it went all the way, the red light on the button was flashing at 1 point. I then tried to put it down and on the way down, it froze in same position... After this, the roof worked perfectly but I did walk away feeling a bit concerned...

Does this sound major or is it a case of a reset or using it a few times due to lack of use??

The car is £3300 so I think it is cheap but I dont want to be stuck spending £000's on the roof..

Stuck roof position

Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-02-2018, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R129 SL500 '1996
Hi mate. If you PM me your number and I'll see if Carl at R129 Co can give you a call. He's very knowledgable on roof/roll bar issues.

Thanks. Jay