Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz SLR & SL Roadsters > SL-Class (R129)
Blower motor issue...98 sl 500 >

Blower motor issue...98 sl 500

Notices
SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 AM

1998 SL500

I had a battery drain about 4 weeks ago...had it re-charged everything ok except no blower motor function for AC/heater vents... AC blows out as car is moving but at standstill nothing...when in key start placement 2 you can hear a clicking noise coming from blower motor assembly section under hood..any suggestions?

Old 01-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Yep, blower regulator-----cheap fix,however be smarter than most and identify the part correctly with your VIN!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:41 AM

1998 SL500
Thanks Plutoe, I thought that may be the issue...doesn't look like fun to replace...wondering if I should just
go ahead and replace blower motor too
while I have everything torn apart...I appreciate your thoughts..
Old 01-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Well that is a very personal choice regarding a maintenance philosophy---aka that is your decision!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:30 AM

R129/SL500
Originally Posted by Herbman View Post
Thanks Plutoe, I thought that may be the issue...doesn't look like fun to replace...wondering if I should just
go ahead and replace blower motor too
while I have everything torn apart...I appreciate your thoughts..
There is a tab that the blower motor hold down spring clips to. They break allowing the blower motor to move preventing it from spinning. I am not saying that is your problem, just that it could be. I did my resistor a couple of years ago and found the broken spring clip as many have. I replaced the resistor (have to go aftermarket the Mercedes ones are no longer available and were $500). I purchased a Bosch blower motor and the part that houses everything that the latch broke off of in case I ever have to go in there again, I haven't had to?

Look on you tube for blower motor resistor and for broken blower motor hold down. The aftermarket blower motor resistors are not a direct bolt on. You have to remove the old epoxied and screwed on resistor from the mount/fins and grind off a tab (easy). It is then recommended that you use a thermal paste when mounting the resistor.

Check this thread scroll down for pictures