MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   SL-Class (R129) (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r129-18/)
-   -   SL/R129: Resetting Transmisdion (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r129/738602-resetting-transmisdion.html)

ChrisB 03-14-2019 12:42 AM

Resetting Transmisdion

I just found this reference in a post;

” Try resetting the ECU. It really works. We have adaptive transmissions so they adapt overtime to your driving style. Check out this link.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/

I just found this recently and the reset works on MB cars back to 1995.

By the comments it can fix a lot of problems.

I have not tried it myself ... but I will. The wife had been driving the car recently ...

bobterry99 03-15-2019 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 7705079)
By the comments it can fix a lot of problems.

I can't imagine how it can fix any problems.

The diagnostic software cautions to only reset adaptations following the completion of repair work. It states that shift quality can not be expected to improve, though there will be a change.

ChrisB 03-16-2019 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by bobterry99 (Post 7706358)
The diagnostic software cautions to only reset adaptations following the completion of repairwork.

Are you saying this is bad to do?

On the W212 E Class forum - several members say they do this procedure every month or so.

Seeing improvement in sluggish shifting.

I do not know how adaptive the transmissions are - but over the years ... occasionally I sense odd shifting / awkward down shifts on kick down.

Then on long road trips ... or a good stint of sporty driving - the car is very responsive & strong.

I was thinking the procedure might reset the shift points after my wife has been putting around through the winter months.

Spring cleaning ...

bobterry99 03-17-2019 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 7707050)
On the W212 E Class forum - several members say they do this procedure every month or so.

A W212 has a different transmission, of course. Also, there may be a placebo effect. We've all probably read forum posts of members rhapsodizing how some product has made their car perform better though it has not. Exhibit A: lighter crankshaft pulley. Exhibit B: Sprint Accelerator.

Originally Posted by ChrisB (Post 7707050)
Are you saying this is bad to do?

The Web page you linked to gives two methods to perform a reset and equates them. I do not know what, if anything, the first method does. The second method is counter-productive, since it erases "adaptations" the transmission ECU has made which compensate for differences in components which result from varying manufacturing tolerances and wear.

I presume the cautionary note from Mercedes has more to do with not wasting customer money than preventing harm to the transmission.

I suggest you give the reset procedure a try. If you think it works, have your wife learn the procedure and participate in an experiment where you try to correctly guess if/when she has done the reset.

ChrisB 03-17-2019 07:24 PM

Did the procedure today ... but could not test the way I normally would.

I am the type of guy that thinks the car runs better after I wash & polish it ...

Still smooth & strong as ever, on today’s first top down driving of the spring - after taking the panoramic roof off yesterday (and washing the car).

ChrisB 03-21-2019 11:47 PM

After I reset the transmission last weekend (as prescribed in the link) - my wife drove the car 2 days this week. Both trips about 50 miles round trip, at highway speeds.

Out of no where tonight she said - by the way, she found the car was much more powerful in acelleration from slow speeds and when passing.

I would say this unsolicited endorsement is proof that the procedure does reset shift points or the accumulated adaptive transmission sludge.

Some one else should try it.