SL-Class (R129) 1990-2002: SL 280, SL 300, SL 320, SL 500, SL 600, SL 60 AMG

SL/R129: R129 Hardtop won't Latch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2023 | 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 2000
R129 Hardtop won't Latch

I have an issue where 3 sides perfectly lock, the hardtop for the rear driver side does not latch/lock.

The cylinder is down as you can see from the attached picture when compared to the other side. Also the latch is in the way so the hard top tang is not able to go down enough in the enclosure.

Further, noticed two cables that are NOT connected. I was not able to know what they are for and they also happen to be on the working side of the car.

Though a single cylinder was leaking, replaced all cylinders. No hydraulic leakage, now I need to get the convertible to work!

Cable not connected, looks like an antenna cable?!

Cable not connected, coming from the convertible harness.

Cable not connected, coming from the convertible harness.

Cable not connected, coming from the car's harness.

Cable not connected, coming from the car's harness.

latch is in the way of the hardtop tang.

Cylinder is low compared to the side that latches.
Old 01-30-2023 | 10:31 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600 07 SL55
Pry open the latch with a big screw driver and shove a stick in to hold it open then check other side to see if it's still open be sure front top latches are open. Remove stick and see if the latch is still open. You said you replaced the cyls is there a chance you got the RR cyl lines crossed?

Your profile is kinda vague there may be someone in your area that is willing to take a look for you.

Last edited by FATHERTIME; 01-30-2023 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2023 | 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 2000
Thank you for your detailed replies.

The rear lock is fully down for the driver side. I was sure to have done the step you described in the video to extend it and heard the click so I was puzzled when it wasn’t extended and only on one side. Nevertheless, extended the cylinder again and heard the click.

When the role bar opens using the dash button or when I push back the soft top into the enclosure, the driver side locks again. Bingo! That is why it was locked even though I remember extending it.

So extended lock again, this time kept the role bar up, put the hardtop, pushed the convertible top red button forward and only the driver side locked.

The driver side won’t lock, tried standing on the wheel and pushing down on the roof while manually locking. Also tried raising the rear lock on the side that won’t lock, raised by unscrewing the three hex bolts and lifting its position.

The closest I got was extending the locks, keeping the role open, manually locking the front and back. Here the passenger side did NOT fully go down and could not hear a click when used the manual locking tool.

After this point, tried to close the role bar using the button on the center console, this results in the passenger side popping up.

Please refer to the pin/cable pictures from previous post.

I believe the issue is in the cable that is NOT connected as it is on the same passenger side that is NOT working “it must be the two pinned connector”, I believe that this one and also the passenger side not fully locking are our clews.Further, the cables that are NOT connected. I was NOT able to know what they are for and they also happen to be on the working side.