SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Locking system problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking system problems

My 2003 SL500 probably has a leak in the compressed air system that operates the locks. When the car sits more than an hour and I use the locks, the compressor runs. Probably it even runs during the night by itself. The problem is getting worse. There are seven pneumatic locks, I guess, so finding the leak can be difficult. No hissing sound anywhere. Has anybody had the same problem? Can it be found & fixed easily? I'm currently travelling with the car so I dont want to have it sit at dealer's for couple of weeks for nothing.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Happened on my car as well. My first indication that something was wrong was when I realized the passenger seat pneumatic adjustments didn't work. Then the driver seat went as well. Then the locks stopped working. I took it directly to the dealer and told them to keep it as long as necessary to fix the problem.

Never occurred to me that the locks and seat adjustments (and god knows what else) were controlled by the same pneumatic system. Turns out there was a crack in the air line somewhere in the vicinity of the trunk. Apparently it was not a simple job to find the leak, replace the line and replace the pump. It took about a week. Mind you, I did not have an appointment and the shop was very busy, so they got to it when they got to it. When you schedule the appointment, give them a heads up about the nature of your problem and they can probably give you an estimate as to how long it would take to fix.